Mini Review - SHUTTLE SB86i

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by IXUS430, Feb 2, 2005.

1. IXUS430

IXUS430 (Banned or Deleted)

Well, my old system has gone, and I’m left with my new one. Was sort of a "shift" rather than an upgrade.. If anything, was a slight gaming downgrade, but an aesthetic and sound upgrade. I'd like to give a bit of thanks to Pluscorp, our sponsors, who i got the case from, as there service was EXCEPTIONAL! I had questions answered, at 8pm on a Sunday, i ordered, and my package arrived first thing Tuesday morning. Service was awesome. Nigel also saved my some $$ buy using an OEM CPU, rather than retail, as obviously, with a shuttle, I would of had no need for it. Thanks guys, your an asset to OCAU and a great company!

Anyway, I’m now the proud owner of the first of a new breed of SFF's from Shuttle using the new BTX standard. Namely the SB86i

Specs, much like its sister, the SB81P and SB95P, it uses Intel’s 915 chipset. Complete specs for it are:

Processor
    Intel® Socket 775 Pentium® 4 / Celeron® D ​
    Memory
    Dual-channel DDR 400/333
    (2) DIMM slots (2GB max) ​
    Motherboard
    FB86
    Intel® 915G + ICH6-R chipset
    800/533 MHz FSB
    (1) 32-bit PCI slot ​
    Graphics
    x16 PCI Express slot
    Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900
    DVMT memory architecture ​
    Audio
    8-channel audio
    Digital (SPDIF) audio ports
    Analog audio ports ​
    Network
    Gigabit LAN ​
    Storage
    (1) ATA100 header
    (4) Serial ATA 150 headers
    (1) 5.25" storage bay
    (2) 3.5" storage bays ​
    Front-panel I/O
    8-in-1 Card Reader
    (2) USB 2.0 ports
    FireWire® port
    Microphone port
    Headphone port
    Power button ​
    Rear-panel I/O
    PS/2 keyboard port
    PS/2 mouse port
    (2) USB 2.0 ports
    FireWire® 400 port
    VGA-out
    Gigabit LAN (RJ-45)
    8-channel audio out
    SPDIF I/O ports
    Coaxial audio out port
    Serial port
    CMOS reset button
    Optional parallel port ​
    Power Supply
    275W PSU​

Now, this is the first SFF to use BTX and for that, it now houses its CPU cooler differently to traditional ICE systems used by Shuttle. The cooler is now situated at the front of the case, housing what can only be described as Thermaltakes XP120's MASSIVE OLDER SISTER! this cooler is simply HUGE. I now understand, why they moved away from Aluminium construction, and moved over to Steel for this case. The cooler bolts directly into the case, to support its mammoth weight. However, as big as it is, it does its job, and it does it DAMN well. Using a 3.0Ghz LGA, it has idle temps of 43c, and full load temps of 58c as shown in BIOS. Using a thermal probe, to measure this afterwards, resulted in a close, but not quite the same result. Idle temps were lower, at 40c, and full load being at 61c. Its not much of a varient, but it, and makes no difference really to noise levels.

Talking or noise, this is the quietest SFF i have ever used, out of the box. I have modified shuttles and an MSI to be ultra silent, but this case does an exceptional job, straight out of the box. even at full load (2 x prime and 3D Mark 05) the fans have yet to reach the highest RPM. The have a maximum 3100rpm, which like any 80mm fan, is a little noisy. However, even at full load at 58(61)c they reached a maximum 1400rpm, which was still quiet IMO, and I’m VERY fussy with noise.

Case design is as always with shuttle, is exemplary, is not a little jigsaw like for first time users. Everything has a way of coming apart and going together in a set order. All edges were rounded, and I suffered no scandalised computer technician slices to any appendages.

Being the first LGA board I used, I had no issues with installing the CPU, and suffered no bent pins etc. I actually truly like the new design.

The side inbuilt memory card read is a bonus in my mind, as with some other shuttles, you forsake a 3 ¼ inch drive usually… However, that’s neither here no there with this case, as it has no such drive bay.

I did encounter one problem. My Pioneer AO7 would not fit, with the stealthed drive flap. This is the only shuttle that suffers the problem, as its drive face plate is rounded. I wasn’t too upset as it led way for an upgrade, but it is something to be weary of before hand.

Styling, is obviously very personal, but this box has resemblance to Apple’s in a way, with its sleek white and silver approach. Its illuminated glow from the power on bar is very eye catching, and with the same bar showing hdd/cd activity as well, a very nice feature.

Cable routing was all done in this case, before shipping, enabling you to literally just install the components. It took all of 10 minutes to have the system up and running, installing a new OS

Cost, well, having used Pluscorp was only $484. That compared to its bigger sister, the SB95P, costing $600, it I’m my mind is a bargain, considering it offers all the same features, superior cooling, quieter operation, and a much sleeker design, making it a great bargain to get into a SFF. Consider that a nice case ($200) and a good 915 motherboard ($200) and for a measly $80 more, you have yourself all that, plus USB2 card reader in a pre made and well cabled box, it’s an awesome bargain to get. (another shameless plug for our excellent sponsors)

My system now entails:

Shuttle SB86i
    3.0Ghz LGA
    1GB DDR (2x512MB)
    1 x Seagate 200GB Sata
    Leadtek 6600GT Extreme

If you have any questions about the system, please fell free to ask.

2. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

overall price????? PICS!!!!!

3. OP
    OP
    IXUS430

Price for my whole system, everything?

Pics coming, probably tomorrow due to shitty light ATM (damn studies one lame arse bulb) so i'll wip the D70 out tomorrow for some pics.

4. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

yep. i wanna get an sff as a main comp, similar to that, and was wondering how much it all cost?

5. OP
    OP
    IXUS430

OK, well a brake down it all came too:

Shuttle SB86i
    $484​
    3.0Ghz LGA
    $252​
    1GB DDR (2x512MB)
    $180​
    1 x Seagate 200GB Sata
    $175​
    Leadtek 6600GT Extreme
    $355​
    LG 4163 DVD-/+RW
    $105​

TOTAL
    $1551

It scores 8213 in 3Dmark 03, but a measly 3208 in 05. Still its damn good performance for what little gaming i now do, and is a great, quiet system.

6. ocular

ocular Member

How would this thing fair as a file server?
    With onboard VGA and Sata Raid.
    I believe with the ICH6R Southbridge Sata Raid 1,0 and Intel Raid Matrix technology should be available. The ICHR6 also supports NCQ

Would it be able to handle heat generated and still say quiet if it was filled with 2 WD Raptor HDD? with a 100+W Prescott CPU as well

Here is a translated review of the SB86i

There is a similar SFF machine with similar specs that opens like jaws - Biostar IDEQ300 - its a BTX & 915G + ICH6R combo too. Distibuted in Oz by Westan.

7. Varuna

Varuna Member

Do you get much resonance and vibration with the barracuda?

8. eva2000

eva2000 DDR1/DDR2/DDR3 Addict

Barras are quite drives in general so I doubt it

How's case temps inside, 6600GT and cpu would be the 2 most heat generating components inside i guess

9. aokman

aokman Member

Im probably getting one of these tomorrow :), trying to decide between it and the bigger one SB81P, i like the looks of the 86 better though :) except its limited in what videocards it can fit :(

10. eva2000

Good luck aokman

LGA775 heater + cramped case + summer temps makes a nice griller :D

maybe do a water cooling SFC project ? :)

11. aokman

aokman Member

Thanks :), they are supposed to run pritty cool actually, i would be going the X800XL if i got the SB86I though as you cant fit dual card coolers :(

12. eva2000

well my 3.4E 550 LGA775 would probably be too hot for me if i wasn't water cooling it with G4 storm :)

13. MustaineC

MustaineC Member

Do you happen to know why IXUS430 was banned or deleted? Just curious.

14. Varuna

Varuna Member

They are quiet drives, but they vibrate a lot. I'm wanting to know what the dampening is like before ordering one, as I had to use a mass loaded vinyl barrier sheet on my SN45G to stop the case from resonating.

15. unconess

unconess Member

It seems someone identified him as another member who was banned beforehand...