Mini review: TOTO portable butt washer

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by chainbolt, Sep 30, 2012.

?

The portable butt washer

1. Good idea, I want it!

50.0%
  2. No thanks, I prefer paper smear

37.1%
  3. Dont' care / none of your business

12.9%
  1. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I got myself a portable butt washer produced by TOTO. The device is already in the market for some time.

TOTO is the Japanese toilet maker known for outstanding potty, including a talking toilet, and the spray mechanism on public/private toilets that is now standard for cleaning after defecating. Problem: What to do when travelling in countries that still wipe/smear away feces with paper? TOTO came up with a portable butt washer. It's a water spraying device that sprays water at/in anus or vagina. It operates by 1 battery and sprays 180ml of water (which you fill up before hand) in 23 seconds.

Content of the package:

• Venyl pouch
    • Water canister with foldable noozle arm, spray mechanism, and storage for a 1.5 volt battery.
    • Manual
    • Battery is not included
    • Retail sales price in Japan is around 6,000 JPY = 70 AUS$.
    • Used devices are offered at ebay

Here are few points to consider before commencing operations with the TOTO portable butt washer:

• The buttwasher is for usage from outside. The manual makes it clear that the noozle should not be inserted in the anus.
    • A short practice is necessary to find the right distance and aiming angle.
    • Water pressure isn't comparable with the stationary spray mechanism that is as standard integrated in private/public toilets in Japan, but is still sufficient to conviniently spray out and away remaining feces.
    • The device can also be used for vaginal hygenics. In this case it is recommended to hold the device "up front" (see manual).
    • Out-of-purpose functions at your discretion and risk.
    • I recommend to fill the canister with warm water. Chilled water will make the sphincter contracting.
    • If properly used, the spray will wash away feces without allowing them to contact the noozle. However, common sense is recommending to clean the devive after usage. If the noozle gets stuffed, use a needle to clean it.

Summary: Cool device for the refined consumer concernd about anal/vaginal hygenics while travelling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Urrrgh, I'll stick to traditional methods thanks.

firey4059 likes this.
  3. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

I hope somebody makes a joke about TOTO and "the rain down in Africa"...

Cheers,
    Komm

firey4059 and qwertylesh like this.
  4. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

This product is just so awesomely Japanese. :thumbup:

firey4059 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

That's so true. The land of the gadgets. :leet:

firey4059 likes this.
  6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Awesomely or typically? ; ) They are a strange lot that's for sure!

7. SenorGrande

SenorGrande Member

Only the Japanese could come up with a hand-portable bidet that fits into your handbag... I still don't see this being any more hygienic than toilet paper, especially since you're hosing shit all over the place.

You ever hosed dog poo off your shoe? Does it ever just go off in one place or does it spray bits of poo around the place? I rest my case.

qwertylesh likes this.
  8. spludgey

spludgey Member

How do you dry your arse after? Toilet paper tends to form clumps when wet.

9. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Good point. The stationary bidet sprays which are standard in Japan have a warm air fan intergrated (and a filter for bad odor as well). You push a bottom and a warm wind is drying your butt. Not possible with the portable version of course, it's paper then, or you keep it as it is. :leet:

Nethiuz likes this.
  10. BeanerSA

BeanerSA Member

I'd like to try a regular washlet, but I don't know that I'd use one of these. They are really meant for travellers who prefer a washlet, no?

11. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

The portable washer is very popular, but only for those who are used to clean with water day-by-day. Otherwise it's not so handy,and really only for a short term usage.

The real thing is the stationary washlet, bascially every private and public toilet in Japan has it. Invented by a female TOTO employee around 20 years ago. You get used to it very fast and soon you don't want to use paper anymore, it makes you feel "uncomfortable". It's defenitely more hygenic than using paper. I have seen these washlets slowly appearing in Europe. The mechanism is intergrated in the toiley seat, and some additional plumbing is necessary. You don't have to change the toilet bowl as such.

It's of course available in Australia as well:

http://www.australianbidet.com.au/toto.html

12. schismo

schismo Member

Trust the Japanese to invent this. I do think simply wiping with toilet paper is quite unhygienic though so kudos to them.

chainbolt likes this.
  13. HeXa

HeXa Member

wet wipes :thumbup:

proper ones..... not KFC style :Paranoid:

14. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Think I could get used to using a fixed bidet, but that portable one just looks.. wrong.

firey4059 likes this.
  15. GreasyBear

GreasyBear Member

This'd be good for muslims as they have a tradition of cleaning their bums with water too.

16. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Not only Muslims, it's standard in many Asian countries as well. And the French "bidet" is nothing else.

firey4059 likes this.
  17. Crash Dummy

Crash Dummy Member

Good concept and execution on this product I think.

In response to the toilet paper vs water debate. I'm a man from Aussie land and even I think the concept of a bidet is a good one, A much cleaner and less wasteful method of cleaning ones behind compared to using toilet paper.

From a physiological point of view, most people at some time in their life will have some form of troubles with their anus in the form of hemorrhoids, fissures and who knows what else. If you've ever experienced these you'll know how bad it can be to wipe especially if you've just passed a not so nice stool. Because I'm sure fecal matter being spread around and resulting blood on toilet paper from trauma of the area is not going to be very healthy. The water can provide a more thorougher clean with consistency that paper can't reach.

There's my bit to try and educate us on why someone might prefer the bidet option.

Good review chainy!

firey4059 likes this.
  18. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

this...

i was in japan recently, i will admit it did reduce but rash compared to just toilet paper, but i still prefer wipes thanks.

Still was better then my experience in china. Seriously wtf, one of the public toilets where not a toilet, just a hole on the floor :confused: :thumbdn:

19. alch

alch Member

Hmmmm 70 bucks to clean my ass? Yeeeeah no thanks, Gimmi some bark any day!

20. OP
    OP
    chainbolt

chainbolt Member

It's not 70 bucks per 1 defecating. You have to break down the cost. Let's say the device is good for 10 years and you (hopefully) defecate once a day, it's 10 x 365 = 3650 shit times for 70$ . :leet:

Edit: For got the replacement of the battery.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012