Mini Tank (worklog)

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Dark Passenger, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger Member

Well i have started to get my tanks in order. i have been a bit lax in the last few months and after helping a mate out with his 8 footer i have got the WAF to get my tanks in better shape. I had another mate build me a real real nice stand and hood but due to my measuring the tank i have currently is a little too big. I got on to a place down in browns plains to build me a real nice custom tank wich wont be ready for about another month.

So on to my little 45 litre tank.

I wanted a small tank in the office as i spend most of my time in there working or playing. So while waiting for stuff to transfer or burn i wanted something to loose myself in.

This will be a slowish worklog as cash flow is a little slower these days but i have basically everything bar plants and fish.

So this tank i bought a couple of years ago as a all in one tank but after a couple of pump failures it has sat dormant for the last few months.

Here come the photos

As it sat up until a couple of weeks ago

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So i removed everything from the inside and scrubbed till my hands almost bleed. Pulled the whole lid apart cleaned up everything cleaned wiped removed the old fan and have tidied up everything.

I put a strip of LED's just to show
    [​IMG]

I then pulled my desk apart (took me three weeks to get right) and placed the tank for looks.

[​IMG]

Got my new filter today.

Fluval U2
    [​IMG]

Interior shots

[​IMG]

Gonna replace these crappy noodles with matrix and maybe a little purigen.

Carbon and foamish side bits

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gonna have a try at my own home brew CO2 system for this i think.

Thats about all for now have to go get a foam piece for underneath the tank then wash some substrate and decide what i want to put in it. Im thinking some female guppies some RCS and some decent plants for fry to hide in.

Any input for tank life would be great.

DP

2. Amran

Amran Member

Looks great mate, I have a similar tank that I used to house RCS in with loads of java moss. The built in filter didn't really suit RCS, too much water flow and the fry would just getting sucked into the filter inlet. I now just use a sponge filter with an air pump instead.

For DIY C02, have a look at what I did with the same tank years ago here. You can buy full on diffusers that give really small bubbles or I've noticed some new white airstones recently that seem to have smaller bubbles than the normal blue ones.

Depending on how much you wanna get into the planted side of things, I'd be looking at putting in a decent substrate now while it's dry and maybe consider stronger lighting.

3. OP
    OP
    Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger Member

the photo with the white light is just a led strip i used for the pics. the double tube setup in it has a blue side as well when the tank was new the filter went great guns for about 6 months the plants i had in it at that stage where doing well but i want to have a go at C02 to see if i can get something going and seed my 3 foot when it gets finished off or vice versa.

im still not sure what i want to put in there though

DP

4. OP
    OP
    Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger Member

quick update

ordered a few things from guppys tonight.

got some matrix to replace the flimsy crap in the U2, 500ml flourish, some airline and a thermometer.

Should be able to get the substrate and filtration done this weekend. have to arrange the power to the tank as i have enough in the wall in the office as it is :p

5. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Ooh. I love small builds. Still no idea of what to put in it?

I saw last night that I still have a lone survivor from my Cherry (Crystal?) Shrimp in the bowl at work. I haven't fed the tank in months, but it goes through cycles of increased snail populations followed by increased micro thingys. Tiny white specks that you can only just make out.

Previous to that, last month I pulled out a massive bunch of Java moss that had gotten out of control.

Shrimp + snails + plants = pretty much self-sustaining colony = perfect for the workplace.
    Shrimp I bought 50 or so for about $40 from a forum
    Java was just a tiny bunch from aquarium for $5 when I started
    Snails came free as hidden ninja refugees from the Java :lol:

6. OP
    OP
    Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger Member

Being my own home office i want to look at it all the time alot of thought has gone into this tank. it will be about a month before i get anything in it the plants im heading off to get this weekend and then the cycle starts a friend of mine reckons some feeder gudgeons will be a good fish to cycle the tank so i might get a couple and throw in there. ill post a pic when i finish it on sunday.

7. OP
    OP
    Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger Member

Well got all my gear this week.decided to go get some plants and try to get my little tank up and running.

i got some tips of a mate down south and after heading off to get some plants i was on the way.

started off with a light layer of sphagnum moss.

[​IMG]

spent ages washing out some black sand

[​IMG]

then a light alyer of osmocote plus

[​IMG]

Then more black sand then finally some lighter stuff for the final layer.

I stopped tanking pictures after this for a while because wet hands and such. After trimming, trimming and more trimming i got the best of the plants sorted. I started planting.

[​IMG]

Finished planting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Being such a small tank there isnt too much to show ill update every couple of days

Thanks for looking

8. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Cool thread! I may be about to inherit almost exactly the same tank from a mate who is heading overseas. I had no idea whatsoever what to do with it, given I already have 2 big tanks with big+small fish in them. But a little mini landscape with red cherry shrimp is a brilliant idea..

9. OP
    OP
    Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger Member

Ok quick update after the planting and after the first night i was interested to see if the plants had perked up at all

I am dosing stability to help cycle the tank. Also dosing flourish for plant life.

This picture is straight after the setup yesterday afternoon
    [​IMG]

This was taken only a couple of hours ago. All the plants have perked up a bit and straightening up.
    [​IMG]

noticed this little nasty on one of the logs he came out mighty quick
    [​IMG]

10. mike-s

mike-s Member

what is it? i cant tell what it is from the photo.

11. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

If you already have an established tank (or a mate with one), use a handful of "live" gravel (mixed in with your own, or in a mesh bag in the canister bottom or even just in the tank) to speed up the cycle. You can get the whole thing up and running in couple of days that way.

12. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

Im not sure of the name of that plant in the first two photos above, but when we had it in a 4ft tank ages ago it took over the whole damn tank and required thinning out on regular intervals to keep it under check. Has anyone else had the same issue, as I wouldnt use it in such a small tank otherwise...

13. OP
    OP
    Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger Member

Turned out to be some kind of little worm I don't want inhabitants in the tank that I didn't put in there.

I would have seeded the mini tank with media from my old 3 foot but it is still infested with Malaysian trumpet snails.

The plan is to get the mini tank up and running with plants then use it to help my 3 foot when I get it back from the tank builder. Both will have cherries, I've got three different people that I can buy from so I can mix bloodlines to keep them fresh.

I have also been looking into guppy strains but not happy with what is on offer I think I might have to get some imported ones from Thailand. There is one retailer up here that gets them from time to time.

I'm going to check water parameters every 2 days and post up results.

14. Amran

Amran Member

I always put Malaysian trumpet snails in my planted tanks, they don't eat healthy plants, they don't overpopulate if you are feeding your fish properley and best of all they burrow into the gravel and mix it around. This gets oxygen down to the roots of your plants which they need, the snails are like earthworms for your aquarium.

15. OP
    OP
    Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger Member

amran i can post you about 50000 if you like. they completely took over my 3 foot tank. the whole substrate was taken over by them. they completely destroyed the whole look of the tank after the tear down i dont ever want to see them again my local planted tank guy recommends tubifex worms but im not sure. After the issues i had with snails the first time it has put me off.

16. Amran

Amran Member

:D Yeah aquarium owners either love em or hate em! If they are taking over then you are most probably overfeeding. I like them in all my planted tanks but each to their own. Find someone nearby with clown loaches and give the snails to them, they wont last long!

17. OP
    OP
    Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger Member

Day 2 update

ph at 7.6 ammonia at 0 nitrite at .25 and nitrate at 0. i dont get the nitrite reading but whatever.

the plants are really starting to open a little. If i do this everyday i know i will continue :p

[​IMG]

18. OP
    OP
    Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger Member

Ok so after the upheavel of the last couple of days a bit of an update.

i noticed on tuesday night some kind of milky something on the bottom of the tank so i got as much out as i could and did a 25% water change i didnt do the tests as i was worried i would get an incorrect reading.

tonights reading is a bit worrying

ph is still at 7.6 ammonia has gone up to 2.0 ppm nitrate and nitrite.

im not sure what isnt right is it i think it is the osmocote wich is causing the issue. here are some photos

first couple is the strange milky stuff on the bottom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is the stuff growing on one of the plants

[​IMG]

and the growth pic

[​IMG]

should i pull this apart and redo this just to get rid of the osmocote the tank being this young would it be ok to do this

19. $qwuzzy

$qwuzzy Member

The milky stuff is one of those phases that a new tank goes through. Just make sure to suck it up every other day, and it'll eventually disappear. (Well - that was the story in my nano tanks).

The stuff on the plants I'm not so sure on. Maybe go to town with a toothbrush?

20. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Looks like normal cycling-in algae blooms to me. They'll use up all the available food and die off. You'll get white, brown, green, maybe black, but keep swishing and breaking it up and it should give up eventually.