Minimum speeds for broadband?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by frostee, Apr 24, 2012.

1. frostee

frostee Member

Hi all,

So lately I have been fed up with our shitty ISP Everywhere Internet which are forced to use for internet access while living on campus. I received an overwhelming response to a facebook post I made on the page for our residence and even the residence manager has spurred me on to pursue an outcome. Anywhere the speeds we endure are terrible, speedtest.net gave results between 0.15 and 0.3 MB/s all Sunday, and other residents reported similar issues. Everywhere Internet offer on their page "Fast speeds: Guaranteed broadband" which I maintain is false. Our building has 144 residents and we are 500m from the exchange in the Wollongong CBD, I feel that these speeds are just too slow and that every resident should have access to this guaranteed broadband which some has said is a minimum 1.5 MB/s in Australia. I have found a few different results around the net but does anyone know of any more solid figures?

Any input/ideas? I work for the University of Wollongong Information Technology Services and I am hoping to pursue this through my workplace as well, as it has gone on for far too long.

2. GooSE

GooSE New Member

This doesn't help you in the short term, but Wollongong will be on the NBN before a lot of other people. Work is scheduled to begin within 1 year, which should see it ready within 2 years. Maybe you can wait it out?

Otherwise, you haven't really provided any details about your connection. Being on campus I'm guessing each room just has a RJ45 jack which you can plug a LAN cable in to? In this case I'm guessing that bandwidth is probably shared amongst the residents and I don't doubt that you'd have a fair few people running torrents 24/7, etc.

I do seem to remember that Telstra's minimum for residential ADSL2+ is 1500 Kbps, but I'm not sure if this would apply to you.

3. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

What type of connection are you on now? Are you certain that the connection is idle when you're testing? As above, do you know if someone is smashing torrents 24/7? (Like we were when I was on campus.)

Sunday would have been a terrible time to test at my campus... Happy hour on a Thursday would have been better... everyone is down the pub :p

edit: if it's a simple Internet connection, then you could easily double up, split the college in 2 (via DHCP) and push one side out one connection, the other out the other. That would have worked for my college (~270 students), but *shrug* yours might be different.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  4. pastafarian

pastafarian Member

How many people are using the connection? What kind of connection is it? ADSL I'm assuming since you mentioned 500m from the exchange. So if it's ADSL1, pay more to get ADSL2, if its already 2 maybe the connection is maxed out. You haven't exactly specified what you are paying for.

5. OP
    OP
    frostee

frostee Member

The unfortunate thing is because we don't get a choice in the matter of what ISP we use about the only details are that we pay $30 a month for 15GB and that to get internet we use ethernet straight out of the wall or from the back of our phone (depending on which residence you live at, I have use both and the speed is the same). Due to the small amount of net I can't imagine there is a huge amount of torrenting going on, and that is assuming every resident deciding to pay for this internet rather than using the university quota.

And the tests on Sunday I did all day, 12pm till 2am and the speed was always between the two mentioned speeds. I am only really complaining because the speed is as bad if not worse than what it was at my old campus which is both further away from the exchange and has more than four times as many residents as well as the fact that this building was only fitted out with Everywhere Internet and the UOW network(which is excellent) 6 months ago.

6. GooSE

GooSE New Member

Sounds like your only options are to petition university officials or pay for your own private 3G/4G connection.

7. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

If you don't know what's at the other end of the socket in the rooms then there's not much we can contribute :confused:

Other than of course, whinge, whinge, call, email, annoy whoever might help until you get some answers.

8. Pugs

Pugs Member

the fact is there isn't minium speed for internet connection the problem is you are sharing a very small pipe with 143 others even adsl2 would struggle in a situation to provide better connection. the main problem is that the one provider has locked the building into a very slow connection and is being paid alot of money for that for say 144 x $30 = $4320/ month for 144 x 15GB = 2.160TiB (i think someoen correct that if it is wrong which it is most likey) as they are the "carrier" as such there woudl also be a managers switch in there ensuring everyoe is locked to their quotas and the speed sis just divivded up to each port

the only way would be to get a pettion signed of all the residents saying they want to be able to choose their own ISP which in most cases should be possible.. reguardless of who "managers" the connection.

At 500m from the exchange you would most likey get ads2+ at it's / close to theoretical top speeds or atleats get them to put in a decent connection that will make the internet faster and have a larger quota.

or you could move out and then have your own choice of providers.

9. OP
    OP
    frostee

frostee Member

I fully intend on petitioning ITS at uni to do something about it. I know the guy who handles these enquiries and I know they are always appreciative of some feedback from staff.

Really I don't see why it should be so slow, do people in big cities in large apartment buildings have to deal with such slow speeds at this range from the exchange? I certainly don't think so

I actually applied to be the IT support staff member at my residence and if I get it (hoping so see as it's exactly the same job as what I do at uni already!) I'm hoping to get some tests run in all the rooms so I can have some evidence of Everywhere Internet's shitness.

10. Pugs

Pugs Member

It is because it is a managed connection most people are able to get their own adsl connection

11. OP
    OP
    frostee

frostee Member

Yeah I know that, but I'm just trying to say that it's a pretty poor effort for Everywhere Internet to offer such shit speeds and a large user base isn't much of an excuse, this building was only filled with networking hardware 6 months ago as I said and it's been slow for as long as I have been at uni and there were many complaints last year at my old residence. They had the opportunity to fix it and they didn't in this new residence. The University really needs to know about it as I'm sure they are in some huge contract.

Again it's hard to know where to go with this as they probably aren't doing anything wrong apart from just offering really bad service :(

12. GooSE

GooSE New Member

You're comparing apples and oranges. I live in an apartment and I have my own phone line and my own DSL connection. The situation is nothing like yours.

13. Pugs

Pugs Member

this wudl be the case the uni problerly thinks it is enough as some bean couter would have choosen the contract and no idea that 144 people can't share an single adsl line

14. OP
    OP
    frostee

frostee Member

My gripe was that my old residence had 650 residents and was 3+km from the exchange whereas my new residence has 144 residents and is 500m from the exchange but my connection is now SLOWER than before. For the prices we pay I think we can expect better service than what we get that's all, I'm perfectly aware we can't all get out own DSL connections.

15. GooSE

GooSE New Member

Without knowing what goes on behind the magical RJ45 jacks in every room, everything is simply speculation. How do you even know distance from exchange plays any part in the delivery of your service?

As I mentioned before, complain complain complain or get a 3G/4G connection.

16. pastafarian

pastafarian Member

Find out where the 'comms' room is. Its probably a speedstream modem connected to a switch :D

Seriously though, why don't you try to connect to the default gateway to find out what it is??

17. OP
    OP
    frostee

frostee Member

How am I supposed to find that out from the default gateway address?

In all seriousness though do you guys think that a DL speed of between 0.15 and 0.3 MB/s for 15GB for $30 is unreasonable? This is not mentioning the annoying dropouts and issues with the logon page/website.

18. GooSE

GooSE New Member

I think pastafarian meant try to open the default gateway's IP in a browser. That might give you some insight into the setup. If you're cluey you might want to check out traceroute and check telnet or SSH.

In regards to your question, I wouldn't find that acceptable if I was in your shoes. But the fact remains; you don't have many choices in this scenario.

19. KriiV

KriiV Member

20. pastafarian

pastafarian Member

Yeah just open up the default gateway in a browser, if you can. Who knows, security might be lax and you might be able to muck around. But considering there is a 15gb limit i'm not sure what the setup would be like.