Minimum speeds for broadband?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by frostee, Apr 24, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    frostee

frostee Member

Ah thought that was it, and no I couldn't get though on the browser.

And I'll be clear that the University internet which we can only get on wifi (and limited to 2GB for students, I have unlimited although it's only for work use) is different to this internet offered by Everywhere. The uni internet ROCKS, I easily hit 21MB/s on wifi in my room. Edit: That's on wireless G only, much much faster at uni on the lab PC's.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  2. pastafarian

pastafarian Member

150Mbps is decent for wifi.

3. MarzEz

MarzEz New Member

Sorry to dig up a thread half a month old, but I've had similar problems. (I am at one of the same campuses.)
    Although the ISP pulled their act together a couple of days ago and practically doubled the speed (from 750kbps to 1.5mbps), the internet is still annoyingly slow.
    And I can promise no-one is clogging it up with Torrents: They appear to be blocked, or at least very heavily shaped: average is 13kbps.
    (Don't suppose anyone would know a way around that, would they?)

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  4. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

Don't you have DC or something on college? I never worried about internet when I lived on one, some dude would crash at his gfs for the weekend with lots of adsl and bring all the linux isos back on campus.

The internet was 512kpbs satellite (read: huge latency issues) shared between 100 students ha ha, the worst.

5. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

I am finding it hard to work out the details on this thread.

OP, are you complaining that the internal wireless/wired network ON CAMPUS is slow and you are expecting a minimum speed or do you each have your own private ADSL connections. WTF is it ?

6. Pugs

Pugs Member

he was asking if there minium speed he should be getting on the unis system

was at UNI logde eat on Froiday here in Adelaide they have an Alegrow system.. but it's been failing so they have allowed the students to get their own adsl connections.. great news for me.. most are going naked jumpering fees yall...

7. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Chances are the whole complex is fed by a couple of ADSL services feeding into some box that does AAA. What's hilarious is the (probable) 3x$60/month services are being paid for by 144 people each paying $30/month.

Sounds like a pretty good rort to me! OP: stop hating on the ISP until you know for SURE that the throughput issue is the link that they are supplying. Chances are, it's simply the people who are gypping you out of your money.

8. MarzEz

MarzEz New Member

Ok, to clarify:
    One ISP (Everywhere Internet) supplies internet to the campus accommodation. There is no alternate way to get internet, other than mobile internet, which costs an absolute buttload.
    The network is wired (no wireless provided), and usually runs around 1Mbps - more on a good day, less on a bad one.
    The ISP appears to actively filter torrents, or at least shape them to speeds many times slower than dial-up.
    Each time you connect to the network, all pages redirect to a login page. You can use your account from any of the network sockets in the campus.

In a nutshell, the internet is often so slow that streaming music is an impossibility, and yet we are offered no alternative.

9. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

It's obvious there are policies in place regarding your internet connectivity. Since it appears you have a captive portal then it wouldn't surprise me if that was shaping your torrent activity and not necessarily your ISP.

Take it up with your college. I don't see how we can be of any help.

10. caspian

caspian Member

so is the message sinking in yet that they really don't give a shit about your ability to stream media or torrent?

11. MarzEz

MarzEz New Member

Well, I saw them doing maintenance on the comms room in my college...
    I don't even recognise half the connectors they have in there, but they look like they're from 1980-1990.
    I guess that's half the problem.

12. GooSE

GooSE New Member

Comms rooms often don't look like they do in the movies. :)

13. power

power Member

one would hope so.

14. Pugs

Pugs Member

more the fact they are Telecomms room first IE a Floor distrubitor fromt he MDF eithe rinthe basement of on the ground floor

mostly cause in flims it looks more impressive to have a bunch of flashing lights and neat and tidy patch cables..

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  15. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

So... because you can't recognise them and they look old, what exactly are you assuming the internet connection to be? Did you see everything in the comms room and find what is likely to be your internet connection?

16. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

Are you on the same network ? You're not the OP (who hasn't returined in a while) but seem to know what the issue is . . .

Sounds like anything that is extra on the network is directed through a proxy/cafe mode gateway. Deal with it, not a lot you can do about it.

+1

People, if you choose to live in these comunities, then you need to deal with it, their land, their building, their assets, their costs for you to live their. You are a guest, nothing more. You can't make demands unless you are the one paying for the upgrades. If they charge to much, go somewhere else.

Tough love but, it's just the way it is.

Look for a wireless ISP who runs a Point-to-Multipoint system, maybe one nearby, then you can pay for that instead.

Otherwise, learn how to hack or use the system to your advantage...

17. caspian

caspian Member

of course, in the real world it's far different. [NSFW link]

18. Pugs

Pugs Member

Nice racks...:lol::lol:

19. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

Fark me, I'll be putting my hand up for OT servicing those racks......

20. 1shot1kill

1shot1kill Member

If it's not dialup, it's broadband. .3 MB/s is nothing to be ashamed of, that's roughly 300kB/s, roughly 2.4 Mb/s. 256kb/s is broadband.

Last edited: May 28, 2012