Minimum speeds for broadband?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by frostee, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Renza

Renza Member

op probably meant 0.3mbps, or ~30kbps

2. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

Can't help it if some people post the in-proper values or don't even realize there is a difference.

3. Linkin

Linkin Member

Heh. next up people thinking MB/s and Mb/s are the same thing :lol:

4. MarzEz

MarzEz New Member

I'm most likely not at the same residence, however I am at a residence operated by the same people, and with internet supplied by the same ISP. Different building, but same situation.

Also, in relation to the comms closet:
    http://i.imgur.com/NzXOb.jpg | http://i.imgur.com/otR7H.jpg | http://i.imgur.com/eg3ox.jpg
    There's the setup at my accommodation.

5. Geno

Geno Member

I did a speedtest on my new mobile... it was great to see how fast my mobile could download/browse but on the flip side its the same speed as my hardwired ADSL.

Feel like im getting ripped off by my ISP now. Both are around 6.5 mbps.

6. Renza

Renza Member

speed isnt the only factor, consider the cost of bandwidth as well...

7. OP
    OP
    frostee

frostee Member

So Everywhere Internet went down for the fourth time this semester last night :thumbdn:

The problem is EI fix the immediate issues but the underlying reliability and speed issues never seem to get fixed.

8. OP
    OP
    frostee

frostee Member

The cycle continues. Down for a fifth time, over exams too.

One particular students internet was down for two and a half weeks and Everywhere Internet failed to fix it. They refuse to give a refund for the months service even though he was only able to use internet for one and a half weeks of the period even after contacting them to fix it four separate times. What a joke, honestly.

9. caspian

caspian Member

has he considered changing providers and not rewarding the same losers with his custom?

10. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

Take your $30 and put it to a more useful connection - http://broadbandguide.com.au/wireless/plans

11. OP
    OP
    frostee

frostee Member

We can't that's the problem, unless you go wireless from which you won't get much quota and a slow ping.

EDIT: A lot of students here are also not long term, they may just be one semester as they are from overseas. Getting wireless net isn't really a great option for most.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  12. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

That sort of logic is defeatist. I know a guy at uni who built a dozen or so PCs and lent them out to foreign students for the semesters they came for those that didn't bring laptops. During his whole period on campus he made a killing.

If you're at the college for the long haul then get thinking on winning the college over to consider other options. Either a 'fleet' of 3g dongles they can loan to students or enough bitching and moaning until they either kick you out for excessive whinging or give in and realise Everywhere isn't holding their end of the bargain.

Plus if you're planning on making IT your career, on campus is a fucking sweet playground to learn in. So put in the hard yards and make something happen. I say this from experience... I learnt a shitload on campus as resident IT support guy.

13. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

Um, from what you have babbled on about over the past month or whatever, 3 or 4G will be a gold mine of speed and much better latency. Get smart, find a person who lives off campus, build a seed-box P2P monster, put it on a cheap DSL or two plans and let it do your bulk. Visit site regularly to recover media goodness. Keep small wireless options for remoting to said box.

One giant playground.

If the campus was in one of my areas, I could drop in Gigabit wireless for the kids to play with.

14. caspian

caspian Member

so you do have the option, then.

wireless offers more than adequate quota unless you are using P2P, and ping isn't a factor unless you're gaming, neither of which you should be doing at university anyway.

15. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

Trying to work out if you completely missed my point or you're just being difficult...

16. biatch

biatch Member

I'm really confused with this thread, but admittedly I did skip over a lot of it.

What's the actual provisioned speed of the link/s supplying the campus? What's the utilisation of those links?

As an end user, you're probably not going to be able to find out. It could be a 100mbit link but with full utilisation you might STILL get your .3mbit/sec.
    The speeds that you're experiencing as an end user give 0 indication of the capability of the link. There are too many other factors at play.

17. OP
    OP
    frostee

frostee Member

I just think it's a pretty poor effort and a bad image for the university if their provider for campus internet is that rubbish that everyone has to go out and find an alternative. Also I already work for the IT department at uni but unfortunately we don't have a say in how EI deliver their internet.

Also yes I want to use P2P and game so I need the quota and latency :leet:

Internet will be down this Friday apparently for a few hours, a bit annoying as its exam time but hopefully something will be fixed.

18. biatch

biatch Member

What technically is wrong with the service provided by the carrier? Has any testing been done other than the "it's not fast enough" that's been mentioned in this thread? What's been done to isolate the issue as being within their network, not the university's?

19. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

All we hear from you is excuses. If it really mattered that much, you would put your money where your mouth is and invest in a higher quality service.

If the quality of the service is reflecting badly on the university, the only thing to do is ensure the powers that be are aware of the issue. I'd imagine your inability to leech and game are not among the campus priorities.

20. caspian

caspian Member

and I'd imagine that if people stopped leeching and streaming then the service as provided might be more than adequate.