Mining rig raided by SAPOL

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by Sledge, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Sledge

Sledge Member

Anyone here?

Kommandant33 likes this.
  2. fad

fad Member

Not sure about this one. He only had 7 ish cards and a single asic.

What about all the people with several rigs. No one else got raided? Plus is anyone mining still?

Weird

3. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

I read somewhere (think it was reddit), that he was raided mainly because of a concerned neighbour and he recently had put in that window A/C and some solar panels or something which looked suspicious and then raised concerns.

4. fad

fad Member

I don't think his neighbours like him. It does sound like no one lives there.

5. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news...p/news-story/bd936a9dd57eb7a0343908437232ec60

He was renovating. He would come in during the nights to do small work here and there. So, neighbours see a exhaust fan in the window from his A/C for the mining rig, a security camera placed outside, and some solar panels, and that gives the police a non-magistrate warrant to pull that shit off?

Also looking like SAPOL might have 'tampered' with his shit. Cut camera cable + hard drive missing apparently.

josh_676 likes this.
  6. power

power Member

after years and years of busting drug labs like this, is it any surprise they thought it was a drug lab???

7. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

I would assume there would be many more factors than just those... the main thing about this issue is the warrant and how the police left the premise.

8. power

power Member

if it walks like a duck it normally is one, what's so wrong about the warrant and how it was executed?

9. josh_676

josh_676 Member

Apparently the warrant was some kind of standing power of entry given to SAPOL officers. No idea of what that is.

Also apparently the CCTV HDD was stolen and cables cut.

I would be interested to know whether the HDD was recovered as evidence, and if so whether that recovery is legitimate once it became clear no criminal offence had occurred. If the HDD was not taken as evidence, then why? Was it to permanently deprive the owner of that property?

If the damage to the CCTV cables can be proved to have occurred as the result of a police action, that is deeply concerning.

I can see Constable Davies is probably rushing to firm up his reasons for search and subsequent actions!

In before someone says it is normal for Police to destroy CCTV and seize HDD after they establish no offence was committed.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  10. josh_676

josh_676 Member

Plenty of people have been raided mining. Suspicious power activity.

11. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Demographic plays a role too... guys house was in Elizabeth haha.

josh_676 likes this.
  12. power

power Member

the house screams drug lab, no one living there noise at night, air con and cameras. i can see why it got raided yet the guy is confused.....

ipv6ready likes this.
  13. josh_676

josh_676 Member

The guy is mostly confused by the actions of SAPOL post raid.

Also CCTV is a common security feature on houses.

14. cvidler

cvidler Member

at the very least (ignoring any potential abuse of power), it's disgraceful that the property was left unsecured, and no recompense made for damage done when no illegal activity was found.

So Police can now break/steal your stuff and say, it's cool we were executing an overly broad warrant, didn't find anything, our bad, sucks to be you.

Either there's more to the story (victim isn't so squeaky clean) or the Police have far to much power and not enough oversight.

museumman likes this.
  15. banshee

banshee Member

Springwood, West of Hell (Sydney, actually)
    I'm reminded of this, prophetic, ad from almost a decade ago...

16. josh_676

josh_676 Member

Police eventually said they would compensate the damage.

17. power

power Member

heh notwithstanding the irony with the latest AMD cards and their high use.

here's a real scenario.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Bwuhahaha....funny stuff. Not funny for him though. I would assume he will get appropriate compensation, might be a long road though.

19. Bourke

Bourke Member

Ya'll seem to have missed the evidence......

Why has a house, with no one actively living there, have a power meter box clipping like a family of 4 jus got home.
    Mining rig + aircon + fridge + some CCTV would be close to 3kw/hr, and that's at 24/7..28 or 32c a kw
    On the outside looks like a grow house, but he's a dumb crook for not by-passing the mains right.

All that, and I think the power company is able to pinpoint loads on a house or street basis nowerdays......
    Could be worse though, the cops need "something" to show due cause.

20. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Im surprised no one said, the police should have called first, talked to the person and organised a friendly visit the next week.

Shit me, if a vacant house in my street had AC, new solar panels installed and loudish whirring noise 24/7, and people only coming in and out at nights....

..... bahhabhahhaha my whole street would have reported the activity let alone just neighbour lol.