Mirroring or casting from device to TV

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Squatting_Tiger, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

We've just bought a Panasonic 75" EX780 4K Ultra HD LED LCD Smart TV for work and was wondering what is the most flexible way of connecting devices to it to mirror a desktop. Using a myriad of devices, ipads, windows tablets, laptops, Win7, Win10, desktops etc. Thoughts? Is there an all-in-one 'device' that lets you do this?
    Thanks!

2. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Chrome Cast? There might also be a built in app on the tv if u lucky.

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Any of the usual, WDTVLive (aging now though), MiBox and Chromcast 2 or Ultra seem to be pretty popular more budget conscious choices.

Do you have a budget?

4. OP
    OP
    Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

No budget (within reason!), this is for the office, just need it to be as flexible as possible.

Chromecast requires the app to have the casting option doesn't it?

Need something that is NOT hit and miss.

5. Renza

Renza Member

6. dinkleton

dinkleton Member

You could try a Miracast device for a budget solution. But I don't think they support iOS.

Alternative (and more expensive option) would be something like Solstice.

https://www2.mersive.com/products/solstice/

We use it at work, we have a little Shuttle PC sitting behind the main office screen, that runs the solstice server. Solstice clients connect to it. Supports iOS, Android, Windows.

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You could always try the Nvidia Shield, but it is not exactly a budget option.

Yes, but most decent apps will have the ability, especially the major apps.

8. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

I'm assuming your wanting to cast video content & not the actual desktop display.

Then just get Plex for your TV (I'm sure Panasonic has it in the App Store) or if not then by buying a Chromecast, then download the App/program for every device. It's incredibly universal.

However if I recall, to directly mirror the content from an iOS device it will need to support AirPlay & that will require an Apple TV.

Or if Dinkleton's solution is what you're really after you could possibly try Reflector 2

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Plex is fantastic, thoroughly recommend it as a purchase.

10. Renza

Renza Member

For Plex to work, you need to run a plex server. Unlikely to fly in a work/corporate environment.

I see the main use case being an external person comes to give a presentation and wants to hook up their device to the TV.

Unfortunately, there is not one universal solution. IMO just have HDMI cable ready with a bunch of dongles on hand to accommodate anything you might encounter; lightning, displayport, usb-c, MHL, etc.

Nvidia shield isn't really solving any problems. You need to be on the same network to cast to it, meaning externals won't be able to connect unless you set up a separate guest network specifically for this purpose. And it's just a pain on desktop, anything of use within a work environment does not support chromecast.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  11. romanx

romanx Member

Sorry to bump.

I've just been looking into something similar. Chromecast, Airtame, PC Stick, and checked out the above links.

The cricket club I'm involved in looked at moving to a digital honour board. On top of the cost for the digital honour board (couple $k) there was a $960 fee to "setup the video file". Which sounds like a glorified effing power point file, and then a fee every year to update it. Which is outrageous.

If we do it ourselves we have a bit more freedom, and reduced cost. Advertisement, sponsor logos, events etc up onto the screens. As well as more honour board stats for runs, wickets, and also recent results.

At this stage I can only think that a PC stick in each tv is the cheapest option for a unit on each tv, the airtame is $300. Chromecast and others can't store a file locally (can they?) that can stay there and run. It's not a huge task to put the file on each pc stick but ideally running off one point would work (could you run a pc stick as a dumb server and use the chromecast browser plugin to send it to 2 chromecasts on other tvs?)

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Maybe an Intel compute stick at around $160-$170 del.

13. pezzy

pezzy Member

any recommendations for laptop to android device/tablet? i've tried, space desk and microsoft remote desktop. space desk works ok, but i can't get my mouse/pointer to be accurate on my tablet. microsoft remote desktop works brilliantly, but it's more so in actually using the laptop on the tablet then just a simple screen mirroring.

my goal is to use my tablet as a second screen for my laptop on the sofa. laptop is connected to the tv via hdmi, so i would like that connection to remain active but i can live without it.