1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mirrorless vs DSLR

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Dark Orange, Jul 30, 2020.

?

Mirrorless, or DSLR?

1. I primarily shoot DSLR

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. I primarily shoot Mirrorless

29 vote(s)
    70.7%
  3. I use both equally

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. I use a format you've probably never heard of.

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

It takes a while for new technologies to filter down to the actual users, and camera bodies/formats aren't something you just change overnight.

While Mirrorless is the new hotness, I'm interested in knowing just how prevalent they are in the general public.

So please vote, and feel free to comment on why you use the format you do and if you are intending on changing soon.

As for me, I changed from a 10yo DSLR to mirrorless a little over 18 months ago and I have not picked up a DSLR since. Well, I did last weekend to show someone a feature of their camera but quickly handed it back.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  2. Hater

Hater Member

I’m not a pro so the compact form factor and cheaper glass of MFT mean mirrorless all the way for me.

Havabigjuan likes this.
  3. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Ultra happy with the D850 as my primary shooter; no change in my use case that will have me need change to mirrorless any time soon but I have no qualms in doing so. I do also occasionally shoot with Olympus MFT and Sigma Foveon and I do love the convenience and ergonomics of mirrorless, even few gen old now. It would probably make cents to consolidate into a FF mirrorless system to be frank but I'm lacking the time and desire to think it down proper...

4. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Nikon DSLRs for anything serious/paid (sports and events mostly)
    Nikon and fuji mirrorless for personal stuff
    soon to add Sony mirrorless for wildlife

:lol:

5. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I switched to mirrorless with an E-M1 when they were still basically new in late 2013. It was good enough for me then and good enough for me now, and I still love the ergonomics of that body and system.

I think the release of the A7 II was the point where I realised I would never buy another DSLR because everything I could possibly want was available in mirrorless, and it's only getting better.

6. Xang

Xang Member

I shoot mirrorless because it vastly outperforms DSLR in almost any metric.

7. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I use mirrorless for stills shooting.
    Only still use DSLR for astrophotography.

Latest DSLR like 1Dx3 just as good as mirrorless but without size/weight advantages.

8. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

I am and will be shooting Canon FF DSLR mainly cause I cant justify the cost of moving to mirrorless. I would probably move from the 6Dmkii to the R6, but the cost just makes it impossible for me.

Plus I dont use a grip, and the last time I played with a mirrorless Canon it felt tiny

9. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

I want mirrorless to do everything better so I can switch, but unfortunately with shooting action (erratic movements - birds etc), the Canon offerings just aren't there. I also have all Canon glass, so a switch to Sony seems complex. If I didn't shoot action I'd have switched by now.

I want the stuff that my Canon 6D2 already does in LiveView, but in the VF:
    - Histogram overlay in my VF
    - The smart AF that is ruled by mirrorless
    - AF at really small apertures that mirrorless get (i.e. F/11), not a common need but would be nice
    - Image preview in the VF for when in very sunny conditions

Unfortunately I also want:
    - Undetectable levels of VF lag/latency (inc during bursts)
    - 1000+ shots on a battery, particularly for airshows

Could do with some more reasonable pricing too.

Dark Orange I believe you also regular airshows, how is the mirrorless experience?

Derfman likes this.
  10. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I've seen you mention this in a few places. SLRs have viewfinder blackout instead...is a little latency actually worse, or just different?

11. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

It's a momentary blackout, and yes it's not ideal, but lag would be worse.

If shooting wide and cropping then you can probably still see the subject and make it work to some extent. However if you work hard to fill the frame with the subject then you'll be all over the place.

I haven't held an R5/R6 obviously, let alone had a play with one, but some reviews are already stating it's problematic. If I see action shooters using them in anger without complaints well obviously I was wrong and I'll be over the moon!

12. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

So much of the tech you want is already here, you just don't want to switch to the kit that does it.

A9 and A9II have zero black out .. It's amazing, even better is shooting zero black out and completely silently.

Battery wise on my A73's I usually will shoot anywhere from 5000-10000 across two bodies at any given wedding and usually sit about 1.5 batteries per camera. That is shooting full RAW to both cards, quite a delayed auto off so it doesnt have to wake up all the time and a lot of EVF/screen use.

I shot Canon for what 6 years (Nikon before that) so done it a couple of times now. Switched to a full Sony set over the past 2 years.. and it's not as hard a you think. The second hand marketplace for Canon has and always will be great (for the time being anyway).

It's worth exploring, it's so much fun having kit that is so good to use you can just focus on the fun part of taking photos.

^^ 3 years ago

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  13. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Electronic shutter though, right? Does it work well? I've heard some A9 shooters just leave it on so I guess it must work pretty well...

14. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Yeah its e-shutter by default and the best of the bunch for motion due to fast read out and blackout free.
    Good for anything except some artificial lights and flash

Personally in daylight i prefer OVF, in the dark i prefer EVF. For many people the EVF offers a lot of advantages.

And yeah if you're shooting sports/wildlife with big tele-primes Sony is still a way off being a viable option for most due to the 2nd hand market.
    Pick up a 2nd hand canon/nikon 400mm 2.8 for 5-7k vs 20k for a new sony.... One day the prices may drop in 10-15 years or 3rd party will catch up. Sigma needs to make the 500mm sport in FE mount.

Derfman likes this.
  15. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Yep it's amazing. The A9 has the read out capabilities to make it feel just right when shooting and the zero black out is so weird to get used to. You can just blaze away so easily.

The flaws with electronic shutter are mostly in some artificial light with the bars (and one reason why I don't shoot the A73 in silent mode). That is due to A73 read out though and the different implementation. With this new processor in the A7s3 though this is exciting to see how the upcoming releases will benefit from it.

Seen some great videos of longer Canon glass adapted to A9's and was pretty impressed.

I still miss OVF but you get used to it, all the other benefits far outweigh what you ever miss.

Durability often also gets brought up but I am pretty hard on my gear (within reason) and it has all stood up. Just don't drop your gear or bang it too hard when using it. I have shot my stuff in 45+, -5, pouring rain and ice and it's been solid. The most annoying thing is shooting in the rain with a touch screen.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  16. Xang

Xang Member

It works unbelievably well. I could never go back to a viewfinder with blackout. I only enable mech shutter for flash, or in the worst worst mixed lighting that needs anti-flicker.

I've never understood why manufacturers don't make mirrorless bodies the same size as DSLR's and just cut out the mirror. Would make it way easier for them to increase battery size, more comfortable grip, more space for heat to dissipate etc.

As Jack mentioned, I've shot my Sony kit in 45 degrees and in rain/snow with no issues. They're not bulletproof but I think the 1DX/D5 pro bodies are the only DSLR's more durable.

theSeekerr likes this.
  17. PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

Eos M with magic lantern using EF-M 22mm f2. Autofocus is horrible, however being able to shoot nice raw video with ML is great. Actually a fantastic camera, usability is poor in some aspects.

Also have an old Fuji X-1M that I used to use.

18. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

I'd love a DSLR for astrophotography just because live view can't really render the scene in realtime

Other than that I'm more into videography anyway for 4WDriving and use my mirrorless over the gopros for it's superior image when I can (and because it's all I own other than a gopro).

GoPro can't get that DoF
    [​IMG]

19. Hater

Hater Member

GoPro can, but the stock lens can’t

[​IMG]

20. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

aha well yes there is that