Mirrorless vs DSLR

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Dark Orange, Jul 30, 2020.

?

Mirrorless, or DSLR?

1. I primarily shoot DSLR

16 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. I primarily shoot Mirrorless

41 vote(s)
    66.1%
  3. I use both equally

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. I use a format you've probably never heard of.

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

That has me intrigued, will look into it.

I have a tele prime, 2 macros, couple of other fastish primes, one zoom and speedlights. Even selling all the glass would only really net me about $3k looking at current sale prices.

2. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

got a friend in the states who tried the a9 and AF was passable but not great (with canon 400 2.8), but since then there has been a lot of additional firmware updates so may have improved a bit.

3. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Yeah; this!

4. CeeAyeEee

CeeAyeEee Member

WYSIWYG vs Typewriter. many didnt want to leave the typewriter as it was the ultimate wysiwyg, but then 'realtime' edit technology took over...
    once full custom LUTs are available on mirrorless, no one will look back to prism technology again.

5. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Isn't that basically what the E-M1X is? And when they tried it it turned out that nobody wanted it? Admittedly that might have something to do with the rather last-gen sensor and the premium price....

6. Hater

Hater Member

So... a digital Rangefinder?

7. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

The new Sony A7siii is supposed to have an incredible viewfinder, but is not for airshows or action photography. I have regularly shot 3000+ images on a single battery. And then there is the ability to charge it up via USB while it is sitting in your bag during the quiet bits.

I don't do airshows, I am primarily model portraiture these days and the VF is more than suitable.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  8. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Thanks for the responses, guys. At this point, the voting suggests that 75% of voters use mirrorless which is slightly more than I expected as the cost of changing over from legacy glass and a high-end DSLR is considerable.

9. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

As always depends on the user, what they have and what they want to shoot.
    You'll find most sports/wildlife shooters will be still shooting dslrs, and most travellers and wedding photographers have moved or are in the process

You're also in gear nerd central where Sony in particular likes to live :thumbup:

10. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Fair call. ;)

The main reason for the question is a recent discussion with a couple of photographer mates revealed we are all getting bored of the crisp, sharp, perfect images produced by the latest mirrorless lenses and have all been enjoying using vintage glass. (In fact, I did my first full model photoshoot with a 50+yo manual focus lens earlier in the week, and the results were just amazing)

We have all noticed the prices increase over the last 18 months, and I put it down to the mirrorless bodies being able to make use of the classic lenses due to the shorter flange distance and am predicting the prices will continue to go up.

11. Xang

Xang Member

I don't have time to list the reasons it turned out nobody wanted that camera.

The market for a 'full' sized mirrorless camera is small, but there are plenty of people who shoot rugged environments that need options. I love my Sony bodies but they do not inspire the feeling of hardiness you get from a pro DSLR.

Maybe Sony will figure out how to make a proper grip on their fifth try.

12. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

yeah the e-m1x is what no-one asked for
    people shooting olympus want small size/weight - its what they built their brand on, and the target market of sports/photojournalists want good high-iso performance which is their weakness.

13. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

I had a D850 and lenses but traded it all out last year for Fujifilm gear, currently have a X-T3 with some lenses. For me I don't need a bajillion megapixels and my current setup covers the focal length ranges I had before (in fact more on the telephoto end) and weighs half as much and is physically smaller so fits into my smaller camera bag that I prefer using. From a handling point of view with big hands by default it doesn't feel as solid holding it, but I bought the Smallrig L-bracket for it that also adds on extra handgrip at the front and that makes hand-holding it so much better.

My only other nitpicks really are the battery life, but I haven't really had too many issues of running out, and getting used to the control system after having had Nikon SLRs/DSLRs for 15-16 years prior.

14. Zee

Zee Member

Not to mention price, and the same sensor as the E-M1 MKII...

Z...

15. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

As a landscape fiend, how did you reconcile the give in IQ; do you miss FF/FX?

16. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

By remembering that I have an A2 sized print hanging on my wall that I took on a Nikon D700 + 14-24mm around 10 years ago and the detail even at that size is still excellent from 12 megapixels. ;)

I think good technique, good lighting and sharp lenses used properly is way more important that megapixels. I do like the IQ that comes out of the X-T3 and the high ISO performance I think is pretty good.

That said, if someone made a digital XPAN, I'd almost be willing to sell a kidney to get one. Sure you can stitch or crop to get that format, but its not the same as composing it in that format through the viewfinder from the start.

Deftone2k and herzeg like this.
  17. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

im in the process of selling my xt3 kit and moving to Sony mirrorless for wildlife/general use - i basically bought into the system specifically for the 200-600 (and the 28mm f2 and 85mm 1.8 are both cheap and fantastic)
    I just love the ISO performance and look of FF.

the xt3 was fine in decent light but i personally didnt find the high-iso that great, and you really need to be shooting it with primes for the images i was looking for - im sure plenty would
    I'll miss the portrait tilting screen and the simulations but can live without them.

Deftone2k likes this.
  18. Athiril

Athiril Member

I’ve been on mirrorless since 2015, and I’m still using a first gen A7s. Which is so far behind in AF (CDAF, eye AF still works reasonably well) and features that’d make life easier, and I can’t Imagine not using mirrorless, looking forward to upgrading to a modern body with modern features though. i have the 85mm 1.8 and it’s great.

Deftone2k likes this.
  19. davidblight

davidblight Member

I've been mirrorless since the Sony A7R came out; got a good deal on one so figured I'd give it a shot.

Although for my use neither mirrorless/DSLR is inherintly better. I do mainly studio/product stuff, so the live view and potentially 'smaller' bodies/lenses don't really make much of a difference to me.

20. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

The same for me. It was much cheaper to change to Sony rather than upgrading from 5DII. Unfortunately those epic Sony deals appear to be a thing of the past cos I am still using the same beat-up A7II. It's a shame that Sony moved away the cheap base A7 pricing.