Mirrorless vs DSLR

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Dark Orange, Jul 30, 2020.

?

Mirrorless, or DSLR?

1. I primarily shoot DSLR

16 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. I primarily shoot Mirrorless

41 vote(s)
    66.1%
  3. I use both equally

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. I use a format you've probably never heard of.

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Hater

Hater Member

Nikon did a 13mm for the F mount too. Good luck finding one though...

2. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

They also have a neat aluminium storage container. Small enough to fit in the pocket of your camera bag, you have one wherever you go and can utilise it in 60 seconds.

3. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

my preferred is to shoot a prime mid-range for panos but have done it with a wide angle in vertical mode then cropped off the top and bottom

4. UnexpectedError

UnexpectedError Member

I'm surprised by the stats on this, I thought people would be hanging onto their older gear or taking longer to make the switch at least. For me I upgraded earlier in the year and now while I have both I rarely use my old DSLRs.

Ironically I've dropped some serious $$ into EF lenses of late using the converter. While I'm not sure it made the most sense I love the new glass and there just wasn't anything else to choose from.

I'm eyeing off the 24-70L RF but at that price I just can't justify it.

5. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

have to remember we're mostly all tech nerds etc so mirrorless will get a higher takeup rate here than other areas of society

6. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

It's not like there are many options - there aren't exactly a great deal of exciting DSLR bodies coming out anymore. I'm not sure it's so much "tech nerds", but just people more likely to be regular upgraders.

I think it's a shame that new DSLR options have/will just completely dry up, but the market has driven this so I can't really blame the manufacturers too much. Still love my OVFs :(

7. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Conversely, I was an early adopter of mirrorless because I love EVFs. Accurate exposure simulation in the eyepiece? Sign me up!

Zee likes this.
  8. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

I think they're great too, but for different reasons. That exposure simulation and overlay of a histogram is a huge +. In an ideal world I'd have it switchable somehow, but I'm trying my very best to be a realist (even though I'm sure with enough effort they could do it, it's not going to happen).

edit: I should add, with the info that AF/metering sensors are getting in modern DSLRs I expect they could've at least done a histogram overlay of sorts in an OVF without a great deal of trouble.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  9. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Don't the Fuji X-Pro cameras have this in their hybrid optical rangefinder mode? I don't recall ever seeing it in a DSLR.

10. bumography

bumography Member

I'm a parent trying to shoot my kids at 1.4f with a DSLR and it sucks! Wish i had mirrorless

Deftone2k likes this.
  11. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

1dx3 probably the best of the new stuff (D6 is just a basic rehash), D780 a merging of d750 and z6.
    But yeah all the resources going to mirrorless now so all to be expected.

Shot my a7iii and dslr's alongside each other at the football on the weekend, much preferred the OVF (though a large part of that is different glass and the A7iii's evf aint great)

12. Xang

Xang Member

The A7iii's EVF is trash. I don't think we'll see many (any) more bodies with something that low-res moving forward though.

13. metalrain

metalrain Member

I'm still getting used to EVFs and I've barely scratched the surface on taking advantage of all the features of it, but I prefer it to OVFs now.

But lately, I've been shooting a lot more in with the rear LCD, especially when it comes low or high angle shots. Also can't get enough of the touch to focus feature.

Zee likes this.
  14. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

I use this for some odd angle shots on the 6D2, mostly for macro. Flip the screen out, tap to focus in liveview. Liveview face AF is also excellent for odd angle shots where trying to get an AF point on target is a pain - let the camera do the work.

15. metalrain

metalrain Member

Eye detect AF is another feature I can't get enough of. The ability to shoot wide open, ambient lighting only, even in a low light situation and still get the eyes or subject in critical focus is just brilliant.

16. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Yep it was low end then and looks even worse now (considering i've shot Z6 and xt3 recently)
    But doesnt affect the end result so happy to pay that price (for the price)

Will try the A9 one day but for now OVF still rules for my sports stuff

17. Zee

Zee Member

Been on mirrorless since the release of the E-M1. Still rocking the same E-M1, can't go back.

Touch to focus + shoot is brilliant when taking close ups of alligators in Florida swamps.
    Z...

18. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

I thought the same until I played with zero black out EVF.. game over after that.

19. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

no doubt, shame i'd have to spend 3x the price of my current single most important bit of glass to get the sony equivalent otherwise i'd seriously consider a full system swap

20. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

I am still using A73's as my primary bodies haha (holding out for the A74 only because well fuck COVID haha).

One day :D