1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

MiSTer FPGA (computer/console/arcade hardware simulation)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Oct 14, 2018.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

My bad, sorry.
    I've been on LCD via HDMI for a few weeks now. My CRT is dead :(
    I'll have to try via VGA ....
    But it was only a cheap 15" model horrid thing from the early 90's, so not too sad about it, and I'll be on the hunt again soonish

2. Vanne

Vanne Member

Ill be waiting, currently on a ten day freighter trip anyways, hopefully the stuff will be there there when i get back. :D
    Can't wait to start plugging cores.

MUTMAN likes this.
  3. Vanne

Vanne Member

All my stuff from the Porkchop Express turned up yesterday. :D

Any good sites for info about how you physically plug this stuff together?

4. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

maybe this youtube?

Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Made by Mr PorkChop himself. :)

6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

IO board first ram second from memory????
    hopefully youre learning to not listen to me :o
    lol
    other way around, but the whole getting everything lined up stands

Be careful which ever way it is as you need to align some pins in a not so easy to see place.
    Good bright lighting is a must :)

Usb board is different to the one i have i think ??? Yours will be the solid connector and the power barrel changed positions ? Im a bit jelly on that :):)

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  7. Vanne

Vanne Member

Did a quick bit of assembly, though had the ram board in the wrong way around initially lol before I watched Porkchop's movie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Haven't powered it up yet... And I need 4 more standoffs for the top acrylic cover.

flain and MUTMAN like this.
  8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Look at the power barrel jack placement and the usb link.
    Im definately green. Looks so much neater sitting there.
    Power Up!

9. Vanne

Vanne Member

Just a quicky, what cores run at 100% speed? I was just watching the 1943 core video and to me it looks like a lot of frame skips? Hoping that's just the video.

Does the Amiga core run 100% speed wise? And what about the x68000?

There are a bunch of switches on the board, like 4 in a row, any idea what these do?

10. flain

flain Member

All cores run at 100% speed of the original system (except ao486 but that's a different thing), that's one of the main advantages of FPGA :) You might be seeing youtube artifacts? (ie framerate of youtube is not matching core?)

x68000 core isn't finished, the amiga core should run at the same speed as a real amiga. Don't forget PAL is 50hz (50fps) while NTSC is 60hz (60fps) so if you have a core in the wrong mode things aren't the right speed. You can change between pal/ntsc in the mister menu on most cores.

Vanne likes this.
  11. Vanne

Vanne Member

Thanks matey, appreciate the feedback. Ill give it a holler tomorrow. can't wait. I am not sure if I am hoping this to be great, because if it is, I think that will end my searching for original consoles/computers. :/

flain likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    elvis

Megadrive/Genesis and SNES/SuperFamicom cores apparently now have a "turbo" mode. Sorgelig (the main MiSTer dev) says "SA-1 mods aren't required any more".

I've been following some other threads on the Atari forums, and folks were pleading for Megadrive overclock modes to fix things like slowdown in Sonic 2 during multi-player, as well as some other famous Megadrive slowdown movements in games with polygons or shooters with lots on screen. I tuned out initially when Sorgelig argued against it, but it seems maybe he (or perhaps the main core dev) has softened up and decided to add it in.

Either way, pretty interesting addition. Will be fun to try some games out with it enabled.

Vanne likes this.
  13. Vanne

Vanne Member

[​IMG]
    MiSTer up and running... I wonder if this is the first one in Dubai? Lol..
    [​IMG]
    And the little unit itself...

[​IMG]

:)

On a side note , having a few issues with the arcade cores.. eh I can't get 1942 to run, now I am thinking is that cos I am running this thing on a hdmi display? I don't have access to a VGA monitor here. Is the Rez all off?

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  14. OP
    OP
    elvis

The built in scaler takes care of that, and lets you play any of the arcade cores over HDMI.

Long post here on how it all works.

Short version, this value in your MiSTer.ini is probably the most important for HDMI users:

vsync_adjust=0 - some lag, but most compatible with HDMI monitors lacking in features (i.e.: ones that expect 60.00Hz refresh and nothing else). Try this first if you're not getting a picture in some games.

vsync_adjust=1 - a little lag, attempts to reduce tearing

vsync_adjust=2 - almost no lag (as of about a month ago), might tear on certain monitors, might not work on monitors that require perfect 60.00Hz refresh.

Vanne likes this.
  15. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I'm running the script 'vsync_low_latency' on a Dell 2311 via hdmi to dvi cable
    and 1942 works fine here :)
    i may have 'accidentally' left a link to a bunch of arcade cores that i did the 'MAG injector' thing to in this thread if you need to check your 1942 .rbf and a.rom files are OK
    still trying to get an injected 1943 that works properly, i have the Mii version, but it's not as good as the plain jane USA version (mostly because the music track is terrible). I'll keep plugging away on that until i get the right rom files

Vanne likes this.
  16. Vanne

Vanne Member

Thx guys, I'll play around with it when I get back from Houston. Appreciate the heads up about vsync and about the ROMs for 1942. More investigation required on my behalf.

17. flain

flain Member

Nice NeoGeo stick at the bottom there! what did that set you back? :)

Vanne likes this.
  18. flain

flain Member

Vanne likes this.
  19. Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol just saw that about the stick, have had them for years. Can't remember how much I payed, but they were cheap. :)

20. flain

flain Member

Interesting updates recently!

- Update the Scaler to support the frame buffer.
    - Implement Linux frame buffer driver.
    - Add virtual terminal on frame buffer.
    - Add some graphics libraries and apps.
    - Background support for Menu core (HDMI). Read the updated readme in Menu core.

No more fuzzy screen behind the menu :)
    61122305_2163271587113696_7912914859862261760_n.jpg

With Linux framebuffer we may get the ability to do custom menus soon. Which can be good or bad depending on what you like :).