1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

MiSTer FPGA (computer/console/arcade hardware simulation)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Oct 14, 2018.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

303-Acid likes this.
  2. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Cool, thanks. I might even setup RetroNAS on a spare Pi for it.

I paid just over $600 for it delivered :Paranoid: Which seems a lot, but I think OK in the current market. Stand alone DE10's are ~$330 AUD ex GST from mouser, etc but not in stock. ~$100 for the 128MB RAM, I/O board/USB Hub/Case/etc ~$200

MUTMAN likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

Yes, you can use any SMB NAS.

I've got instructions here for RetroNAS, but you don't have to use that:

https://github.com/danmons/retronas/wiki/MiSTer-FPGA

As long as you've got a dedicated share on your existing NAS, below that is a "games" folder, and in that are all of the core folders named correctly, it will work.

MUTMAN likes this.
  4. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

What size MicroSD do you recommend when obtaining content with updateall? For the OS, Cores, etc. Considering the ROMS will be in another location.

5. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

no roms, hardly anything really. a 16gb card would be plenty

6. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Sweet, thank you.

7. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Well, that's one of the quickest ebay purchase deliveries I've ever had. Purchased yesterday lunchtime, received today. It's now running update_all. :)

Trizae and MUTMAN like this.
  8. Trizae

Trizae Member

You wouldn't have that ebay listing would you :Paranoid:

MUTMAN likes this.
  9. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Seller lives next door ??
    :)

10. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

It was a second hand item, not a seller.

Same state, sent express, I'm classed as regional, so still quite surprised

11. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

:shock:

Firing up the PSX core for the first time and hearing the boot sound. Setting a scanline filter, then loading Gran Turismo 2 Disk 1 and watching the intro movie. Wow!

I'll have to read up on the filters a bit more to find some good ones.

MUTMAN likes this.
  12. darknebula

darknebula Member

next you’ll be hunting down CRT’s

303-Acid, MUTMAN and Trizae like this.
  13. Alessiman

Alessiman Member

It's why i have two MiSTers. 1 on a CRT for console cores and lightguns the other on an LCD for the computer cores and a 1084s as a secondary display

darknebula and MUTMAN like this.
  14. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

upload_2022-5-13_21-42-5.png

00:25 Reflecting on launching the project 05:25 Batch 2 Delivery 07:50 The DE10 Problem 10:50 Add-ons for the Multisystem 12:05 Pi-MMS Add-on Cart 18:15 Nick - A dedicated engineer 19:15 Super Video Custard Add-on Cart 24:33 Using a light gun 26:07 3D Print Farm 29:45 MonsterJoysticks.com Case 32:03 JAMMA and Slices 36:25 Handheld MiSTer Multisystem 45:27 Final thoughts

bloody hell. i thought this project would slow down by now. seems to be accelerating

Fitzi and Trizae like this.
  15. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    adicakes, darknebula, flain and 2 others like this.
  16. flain

flain Member

elvis and MUTMAN like this.
  17. OP
    OP
    elvis

I can tell you from experience, it's not.

We're getting into a lot of stuff now that's playable in MAME, and adequate enough with MAME's low latency input mode. Plenty of these "also ran" arcade brawlers, fighting games, shmups and others from the 90s have been sitting in MAME for over a decade (quick Google says it got added in 2010, could be earlier though).

I appreciate that FPGA emulation has matured enough that many of the great games are done, and we're creeping into the more boring ones. I also appreciate that we need 100% of what MAME can do in FPGA, because having more than one way to get to old games is critical for presentation.

But with all that said, we've had access to these games for a long time. Folks interested in this really ought to fire up MAME once ever few years and poke about at the incredible amount of video game history available already.

That rant aside, this specific game isn't terribly interesting. Bland 4-hit combos and very little character variety. Looks nice in stills, but within the genre there are a dozen excellent titles, and hundreds of very banal clones.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

18. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

and still no Rolling Thunder :mad::mad:

Come on, it's a pair of bloody Z80's ....:lol:

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

My other gripe with MiSTer is that the core development group are so vehemently anti-MAME that they can't allow their pride to acknowledge that MAME does some things right.

One of MAME's strengths is it's modular design. One CPU emulation code base is used for every game that uses that CPU type. MiSTer dev claim the result is "rushed games" that are inaccurate compared to their more cohesive approach, but the flip side is MAME allows for incremental improvements and the ability for lots of games/systems using a particular CPU to encourage multiple developers to have a go, and the global pool of talent to improve the emulation quality. Evidence of that is the fact that MAME has helped MiSTer (and vice versa) improve.

There are some notable games missing from MiSTer because the overhead of having to understand the process as a whole (even if Z08 code exists) is still overwhelming for a lot of people. This is why MiSTer has dozens of single-CPU Eastern-European clone computers, but is missing popular Japanese arcade games - the simpler cores are developed by people learning the system, and then they give up after one because the itch has been scratched.

I'm thankful for megabrains like Sorg, Kitrinx, Jotego, Furrtek, Nullobject, srg230, FPGAzumSpass, etc. These people have contributed a mind blowing amount of stuff to MiSTer. But here's what a more modular design can attract:

Code:
    # mame -listxml | grep 'machine name=' | wc -l

Over 44K systems in MAME. That's everything - arcade games, consoles, computers, working, non-working, clones, stupid gambling crap, etc. But even if you conservatively threw away 90% of it as "garbage" and assumed 10% was "awesome", you're at over 4000 systems on offer.

MiSTer (and FPGA used for video game emulation purposes) is a young project and a young art, so I shouldn't be too critical. It's amassed quite a lot in a very short time, again thanks to a lot of existing documentation, dumping, and other open source information and projects collected by enthusiastic preservationists over the last 30+ years. But I do hope they do away with dogma and consider an approach that works alarmingly well for some of the largest open source projects on Earth. The Linux kernel, WINE, MAME, etc - all of these work very well because of their modularity and incremental progress, especially once all the "easy" stuff is done, and the path forwards requires groups of people all simultaneously poking at the edges of larger code sets a little every day.

MUTMAN likes this.
  20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

give it time. as you have said, its very early days. realisticaly the process and skill set for FPGA dev is no where near as comprehensive as software dev.
    edit - some clarity on that statement to ovoid confusion - comprehensive as in undertaken by people that is. yes, plenty of tools and understanding. just not by the great unwashed masses

for me this is the difference between simulation and emulation. it isnt what i see at the end (hopefully), its the skills and tools used to produce the result.
    the result of which is me still smiling even when Puzzle Uo Poko kicks my arse at level 17 :D
    side quest for devs - why do i like this dumb game ?

Last edited: May 22, 2022