MiSTer FPGA (computer/console/arcade hardware simulation)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Oct 14, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yeah it moves fast. I'm going to learn the archive.org APIs and try to automate the upload as much as possible, and just date stamp it.

Same. But I know I will one day, so the more I can help today, the better it'll be when CPS1/2 drop. :D

2. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Yeah once we move into the cps era things will get interesting. For now, there's only so many pacman clones one can handle. ahaha

In the meantime, that GBA core blows me away. Looks surprisingly good on my 27" 15KHz TV.
    Quite the library of games to walk into that I would otherwise of never even looked at. :D

Let alone pushing things like save states and fast forward into it.

elvis likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    elvis

I used to play GBA on a GameCube with the GameBoy Player hardware and GameBoy Interface software. Fiddly as hell compared to MiSTer, but damn it looked good on my CRTs (my PAL GC has RGB/SCART out).

MiSTer of course makes it way easier now, and gives real options for 31KHz SVGA monitors too.

4. Andrew_Wong

Andrew_Wong Member

So here's a case remixed from Thingiverse ( MiSTer - Case Universal v5.2 by NegSol ), with a new Top component to get things running

I think it will just squeeze the Noctua in.. will have to see ! Time to go fire up the printer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    self_slaughter, MUTMAN and elvis like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    elvis

I put some effort into the new MRA-with-CRC files today. Predictably they illustrate the exact problem I was describing: even with a full, up to date MAME 0.217 set, there are "missing" files inside zips if you just copy on zip name. And they're not missing at all, just named wrong.

Without checksums like CRCs, you're just stuffed - there's no way to know which file is the one named incorrectly. But with the CRC, you can work backwards to match the hash to the MAME file, rename it to what MiSTer expects, and it all works.

So I've begun writing an MRA to DAT converter that can hopefully work with SabreTools. Why? So I can run the whole lot as an automated CRON job, zero maintenance. No clicking on shit to manually build sets like a cave man. And if that works, then automate uploads to archive.org after that.

Anyways, had an hour on that today before dad lyfe took over. Sadly the next 2 weeks are busy away from computers from me, but at least it's started. When I return, hopefully the CRCs will have propagated right though the stable code base, and everything will be ready to rock.

MUTMAN likes this.
  6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

MiSTer, now with hot air jets

:lol:

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

MUTMAN likes this.
  8. michal

michal Member

Hello MISTers!

A few days ago I discovered MiSTer and now I'm really tempted to get into it. However, the pricing.. is this what we're looking at AT BEST for just the main board?

110USD (academic) + 30USD (delivery) = 205AUD + 10% (GST) = 220AUD + (any other import fees, currency conversion fees through the process).

And me being me I would want the best IO board and USB hub + 128mb off the fastest and most compatible SDRAM so that's a few hundred extra on top of that.

Any tips from those who have gone though with it? Anything you're very happy with or conversely wish you had done differently with your purchases?

Regards,
    Michal

9. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Elvis will have a better, in depth explanation I'm sure :) but my short version is
    AUD220 delivered is about the going price.
    MiSTer has a direct VGA via HDMI now, so you wont need the IO board unless you plan to go 15kHz CRT output (?) or want to add something like the SNAC board later
    any old USB2go adapter will work - but the offical one is powered and has a really good controller chip, no issues whatso ever with it.

Andrew_Wong on the forums here has started his own run of RAM, we'll know in a few weeks how it's looking
    but yes, in general the addon boards are small run boutique items, and are priced as such. no one's running off to the islands to retire on this project :D

Happy with all of it. done different - well the IO board isnt really required for me these days, but at the time it was. also the RAM is now bigger and again i bought when 32 was the norm.
    the joys of jumping in early i guess. but I'm not disappointed by it at all
    actually we were just talking about what to do with the small RAM module a few pages back. some may just build up of a second mister setup for a dedicated cabinet :lol:
    its kinda cool to be on 'real' hardware (vs emulation), i don't know why, but it just feels better

i rate it highly, but cant blame input lag or other BS for poor performance in games now. so that's an issue :)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    elvis likes this.
  10. michal

michal Member

Thanks for the response. I'll wait for a bit more input before ordering.

Terasic seems out of stock but Digi-Key seems to have similar pricing even without an academic discount due to free shipping. And they have stock.

With regards to the IO board, what about the secondary MicroSD card? I would imagine (though I haven't verified) that this could be useful for some cores like the Amiga, which I have a particular interest in. I have so much nostalgia for that platform that I would be jumping onto this bandwagon for that alone.

And what about the fan? I hear that's one of the first things you discover are required. How would I mount that without an IO board?
    Indeed, where to get the Noctua? I have a spare 140mm model sitting in a drawer but I think that may be a little too big.

I'm really enjoying how hyped I am about this. Doesn't happen often.. last two times were 3dfx and then Oculus.

Regards,
    Michal

MUTMAN likes this.
  11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Have a look at mouser for stock. They'll ship from the usa but you pay in AUD
    https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Terasic-Technologies/P0496?qs=/acZuiyY%2B4ZdDLJqTxdJ5w==

MiSTer addons (pork chop) and othrr sellers have fan board options, and a few posts back AndrewWong has made a case that takes a 80mm fan, so lots of options there. Noctua isnt required strictly, but i sit away from my setup. A 12v fan on 5v will be enough airflow and plenty quiet from what I've read on the atari forums.
    Have a look over in that forum too and signup over there for lurking the mister threads.

As for the other sd card sorry, i havent even tried the amiga core. The console and arcade cores hold the most interest for me right now. Nowing the micro/pc stuff is there to explore one lazy day is real bonus though.

Edit - you will need a usa to au power adapter too, 9 bucks at kmart ;)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  12. michal

michal Member

I have a confession to make.. I HATE noise :p

People who come into my room and see two computers are confused when they discover they are on because they are inaudible. I'd hate for the MISTer to be the loudest device in the room :)

lol.. Digi-Key is cheaper AU$198.43.. whopping 31 cents cheaper.. Seems like they're very much like for like.

I got a little carried away looking at all the MiSTer addons boards.. I'm afraid I'll order a BlisSTer before I even get the DE10-nano!

I just noticed that I joined these forums 1 day after you! You've certainly out-posted me by a huge factor.

My journey was Sega Master System -> Amiga 500 -> SNES -> Amiga 1200 -> 486 (with significant overlap between them). All these systems are now simulated. Not to mention a bunch of arcade games I was into.. Wouldn't mind if Silkworm and Wonder Boy in Monster Land were added.. And looking forward to CPS.

So as a barebones start I need the DE10-nano itself + a cable like ‎1528-1585-ND‎? The rest I should be able to fumble through until I can gather the parts.

13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I'm not guessing when i guess a large number of my posts are basically shit stirring and windups :)

I havent caught the blister bug. Recent changes mean the hdmi output and the usb input is rather low lag as it is. On a wired joystick i cant tell if its lag or just me being shit at that game. On a xbox wireless controller i can just feel it.
    But for some casual lounge chair neogeo or sonic hedgehog action it doesnt matter. When i get all serious with Galaga i need to go wireless and crt :)

De10 and something like a usb OTG 4 port hub, a small heatsink and a (quiet fan) will do the job to get you going.
    SmokeMonster did a video on cores that dont require the ram, check that out.
    Umart sell noctua fans, but quiet doesnt come cheap. $25 for a 40mm fan :o

14. michal

michal Member

I believe that over the decades I've spent literally THOUSANDS of dollars with the sole goal of making my electronics quieter.

Looks like I need to do some research on heatsinks.. I have spare heatsinks but I don't think an i7 one would be suitable.
    Really wish I had a 3d printer.. Often..

15. Grant

Grant Member

Direct Video works with 15kHz (I haven't tried it but it's mentioned in the docs), the adaptor needed for direct video is a cheap HDMI-VGA converter, but from there you can wire up the VGA port to a SCART RGB plug or anything else an analogue TV takes.

MUTMAN likes this.
  16. michal

michal Member

As I search for a heatsink that meets my lofty self-imposed requirements I'm finding that neither Mouser nor Digi-Key seem to sell anything on the level of https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister-fpga-ultimate-heatsink/ ..

Has anyone seen anything like that anywhere closer?

EDIT: Seems I've bought 128MB SDRAM from Andrew Wong.. Guess now I have no choice but to order the DE10-Nano :p

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    MUTMAN and Andrew_Wong like this.
  17. OP
    OP
    elvis

I go to Jaycar and dig through their heatsinks. They've always had a good variety of shapes and sizes for projects.

18. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

I use the direct video out with 15kHz using a hdmi to vga adapter and a vga to bnc cable. Works really well and the video quality awesome and in a lot of cases better the original hardware.
    I have however found the audio to be sub par but i suspect the audio dac and preamp in the adapter is rubbish. I've worked around it by using a hdmi to toslink adapter.
    As i don't have an IO board i've just left my setup aircooled with a heatsink from jaycar and have not had any issues.

MUTMAN likes this.
  19. Andrew_Wong

Andrew_Wong Member

Thanks for the support guys !

The PCBs just arrived this morning so I’ll start testing with the 32MB modules this week.

The 128MB module Alliance SDRAM is still not shipping till 21 Jan so end of month is looking like the build date.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    MUTMAN likes this.
  20. michal

michal Member

Thanks for the tip! Jaycar hadn't occurred to me and I'll drop by the next time I drive past. I doubt they'll have a nice copper one like the one I linked but I found something similar on AliExpress.. Looks a little shorter but it's the best I could do. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000107291369.html

I still have three of these (https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/heatsinks/7500908/) left if I can find them and in a pinch they would be better than nothing while I look for something better.. I may even have something in a box that I've forgotten about.

But to illustrate how over the top I tend to go, I am currently investigating which 3M thermal adhesive is better.. 8810 or 467MP? https://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/3M-Electronic-Assembly-Solutions-Guide.pdf

I think maybe I'm a little bit OCD.

MUTMAN likes this.