MiSTer FPGA (computer/console/arcade hardware simulation)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Oct 14, 2018.

1. shredder

shredder Member

Aren't we all?

I guess any thermal adhesive is measurably worse than a pure (non-adhesive) paste and mechanical pressure. Naturally, the form factor for latching mechanical pressure isn't always practical. Not sure in this instance.

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

This certainly is the right forum for thermal pedantry. :)

michal likes this.
  3. michal

michal Member

Yes, I have silver thermal paste, but I have not seen anyone using clamping on the heatsink. There are no holes in the PCB to support this and I think it would be difficulty to achieve an even clamping pressure using some sort of clamping exoskeleton/case mechanism.

4. OP
    OP
    elvis

Long, long ago, I used to superglue heatsinks to GPUs.

Spread the thermal paste, put the tiniest drop of super glue in two opposing corners, place pressure overnight to dry, and away you go. With careful leverage the the heatsink can be cracked off with no damage.

A clamp is better, but I did that on several GPUs for years with zero problems.

Andrew_Wong likes this.
  5. michal

michal Member

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

Machine-translate fail.

7. michal

michal Member

Interesting idea.. https://www.quora.com/How-heat-resistant-is-super-glue seems to indicate that high temperatures could cause issues..

How hot does the FPGA get? Not very judging from this: https://misteraddons.com/40mm-fan-shootout-part-2-cooling/

If I'm looking at the correct documentation (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-v/cv_51002.pdf) then it should be able to operate at up to 125C..

Obviously running cooler extends life, but has anyone actually had one fail due to heat? Or is this a matter of it lasting 100 years instead of 50 years due to better cooling :p

Of course none of this would stop me from going overboard with silent cooling :/

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

The goal is a heatsink is to keep things will under 60 degrees. The temps that superglue fails at are much higher.

It is a risk, as if the heatsink pops off, you're kind of stuffed. But again, I ran GPUs (hotter, and more likely to die) like this for years.

Only an option of course. If you can find a clip or clamp, go that route definitely.

9. michal

michal Member

In a very roundabout way that's what I said above: ie hot temperature bad for superglue; how hot does the temp get? not very; in fact even without heatsink it's still below 60c in the tests I linked. I'd be interested to know just how hot it gets at the most extreme loads currently possible.

How's this for a clamp? https://www.bunnings.com.au/craftright-100mm-quick-release-bar-clamp-2-pack_p5860104 ;P

Not very elegant I'll grant you.

P.S. Does the board have thermal monitoring so that you can keep an eye on the temperature?

10. Andrew_Wong

Andrew_Wong Member

11. michal

michal Member

12. michal

michal Member

Does anyone use MISTer with a USB keyboard/mouse switch?

I'm currently using 2 computers so I just toggle between them. But I intend to get a 4 port USB switch for changing between those 2 computers, the DE10-Nano and possibly a RaspberryPi.

Does MISTer deal gracefully with the keyboard and mouse disappearing and re-appearing?

13. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

i can't talk for a switch but i hot swap my keyboard on my mister all the time without any issue - in principle its the same thing i'd imagine.

michal likes this.
  14. michal

michal Member

Thank you.

I'm planning on getting this (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32928492256.html), wiring up an esp8266 with 4 relays and automating switching of my AV Receiver (which is what I use for the HDMI video). Was worried I might run into issues but you've re-assured me.

15. deevus

deevus Member

My DE10 has been shipped. I'm so keen!

MUTMAN and michal like this.
  16. michal

michal Member

As we await shipping/delivery...

Are there any suggestions on where to get content? I want it all.. ALL of it..

EDIT:

While searching for something else I found this 25mmx25mm ceramic heatsink with dirty thermal adhesive and this MicroSD adapter I bought a LONG time ago that might actually be useful now:

IMG_6290.jpg

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/sd_adaptor.html

I understand that SPI is used for the secondary MicroSD so I should be able to just wire this up to the GPIO's on the DE10-Nano right?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  17. flain

flain Member

A little low profile on that heatsink but better than nothing :)

18. michal

michal Member

Well I also found a bigger one but it's even lower profile.. Just a ceramic square with no ridges. I think this will do until the copper one arrives in 20-41 days :p

I'm downloading the full merged MAME romset for the current version as I have no real idea what to download.. 65 gigabytes! When did they get so large?!

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

They've been growing steadily for years.

Again, the anti-emulation stance by some in the retro community is a bit short sighted, when a single project like MAME saved that many games. We should all be grateful for emulation projects.

genxor and MUTMAN like this.
  20. michal

michal Member

I agree completely. If not for MAME many of the ROMs that were collected and machines that were documented would be long gone and thus not possible to simulate using an FPGA.

I understand PREFERRING simulation over emulation but ANTI-emulation is a foolish position to take.

elvis and MUTMAN like this.