MiSTer FPGA (computer/console/arcade hardware simulation)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Oct 14, 2018.

1. nimmers

nimmers Member

So who has one? After seeing the pre CPS1 capcom core I have to say I want one. Would probably be wanting to permanently mate it to a JPAC to play in an arcade setup.

2. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I asked this just a few posts back and flain has a really good post in reply :)

edit - shouldn't post words pre-caffine

3. flain

flain Member

Someone posted some video of a new X68000 core, it's unknown if its the existing one being improved by someone new or a new one all together

Vanne, MUTMAN and elvis like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

MiSTer continues to prove itself my new path for retro gaming. I was in Japan early 2018, and the asking price for X68000 machines was pretty nuts. There's only a few machines I don't have (X68000, PC Engine CDROM [have a normal PC Engine], and a few others I'm forgetting) but all of them are priced so high, and maintenance on all of them is a massive issue too.

I can very easily see MiSTer replacing my entire physical collection one day.

flain and nimmers like this.
  5. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I kinda want to get into building these but I've got almost no interest in actually using any of these retro platforms...like, I think it looks cool and I want to help other people do the cool thing?

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

If you're after a platform that allows you to quickly play almost any 8 or 16 bit game (for whatever reason - personal interest, research, journalism, whatever), MiSTer is pretty much perfect.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  7. badmofo

badmofo Member

I wouldn't let that stop you! I've long since accepted that I'm rarely going to actually sit down and play games on the hardware I've collected and lovingly restored over the years - turns out that building / messing around with the hardware is my thing.

shredder, Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  8. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

The more I read about this project, the more I think I'm in love!

Vanne likes this.
  9. Vanne

Vanne Member

lol, after getting my 128, this looks better and better.. lol

wonder what boards you really need?

Lots of different sd ram boards available v1- all the way to v3...

no idea what to get...

10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I'm in the same boat Vanne
    A very nice ocau'er has sent me this

But I'm still not sure exactly is required for arcade emulation ?? I'm hoping to do some research this weekend and figure out (?) what's what in MiSTer land :)

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

To play everything the MiSTer has to offer, you need:

* DE-10 Nano. The brains of the operation. Has a single USB OTG port, ethernet, and HDMI out, so you can do a few things with it as is.

* Heatsink. Because the DE-10 Nano gets hot.

* MicroSD card. Holds your loader and software. Kinda like a Raspberry Pi, ish.

* RAM expansion. Needed for most cores. A few simpler ones can do without, but there's more that require it than don't. Most are rated by maximum frequency they can handle. There's a list online of the minimum you need for each core (I'll put that in later).

[edit] RAM requirements - https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki/SDRAM-requirement-by-cores

* IO board. Gives you more standard USB ports, analogue out (both low res 240p and higher res modes, RGB and YPbPr component), and a fan to cool your heatsink. Also some buttons for power/reset control.

If you don't need analogue video (HDMI is good enough for you), you could just get a USB OTG hub and a small fan and skip the IO board.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    MUTMAN, Vanne and flain like this.
  12. flain

flain Member

For the addon boards there are threads in the MiSTer forum here http://www.atari-forum.com/viewforum.php?f=117 you can post in the thread to request them and there are enough people making them that they usually message you pretty quickly (i had someone message me within an hour). If you can find someone Australian based it will reduce your shipping costs.

Also while you might need to wait for addon boards you can happily play PC Engine games without any add ons and the core is pretty much perfect :)

PCE is really an awesome system, such a high frame rate compared to other systems of that era and in my opinion probably the best ever home port of R-Type :).

MUTMAN likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    elvis

Bumping for those that missed it - the RAM frequency requirements are here:
    https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki/SDRAM-requirement-by-cores

The current most demanding core is the Acorn Archimedes "Archie" core, at 128MHz. Most RAM boards appear to be tested at around 133MHz (and more recently 167MHz). I'm not sure what speed newer cores like the upcoming Neo Geo core wants.

Also, I found the Atari forums confusing when trying to find out which seller was where. It was a mess of linked/edited/update posts and sellers who only shipped to certain places at certain times.

Thankfully, one of the more notable sellers has opened up his own online shop thanks to the demand. I'll be purchasing shortly from him:
    https://misteraddons.com/

Great video here, too, of putting all these boards together:

MUTMAN likes this.
  14. flain

flain Member

Good video but i would avoid the USB board he uses as it's not powered. Quite a common issue on MiSTer is the USB port is pretty low power and if you try to use a usb hub that doesn't supply it's own power you will have issues with wireless keyboards and trying to use more than 1 controller (i had problems with both a wireless keyboard and a xbox360 usb controller before i got a powered hub).

MUTMAN and elvis like this.
  15. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

upload_2019-2-16_14-43-57.png

from Elvis's link the USB hub he sells is powered and has a Y-cable for the power

speaking of power the DE-10 uses 5VDC but a barrel jack, must be some beefy current draw ???

flain likes this.
  16. flain

flain Member

The power pack that comes with it is 5V 2A

17. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

elvis are you planning on getting a case ??
    I'm thinking mine will end up living in a arcade cab, so probably not required, but might be a nice safety net ??

18. OP
    OP
    elvis

Probably not. I'm not interested in the aesthetics of the device. A bare board is fine for me, and the case doesn't offer any EMR shielding or air flow improvements.

19. flain

flain Member

No case on mine, currently you still need a keyboard to do certain things in the menu so a cab might be a challenge at present too.

I might do a 3D printed case in future, i just don't like the look of any of the current ones

MUTMAN likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    elvis

MUTMAN likes this.