MiSTer FPGA (computer/console/arcade hardware simulation)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Oct 14, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I'm very much tempted to turf my candy cabinet's current MAME setup for a MiSTer at the moment.

I was considering a Darksoft CPS2 setup for a while, but the sheer expense drove me away. I've got a CPSIII kit that I can convert already. A MiSTer running all CPS1, CPS1' and CPS2 (with the already available cores and Neo Geo stuff as well) sounds amazing.

greencamel65 and flain like this.
  2. michal

michal Member

I don’t suppose anyone is working on any of the Taito hardware?

3. michal

michal Member

So presumably they should arrive maybe Tuesday and you'll begin working on those.. How is that case going? Any chance you might be able to ship one together with RAM? Or is the saving in shipping not significant enough to bother?

I'm waiting for the following heatsink if that makes a difference.. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000111998998.html

EDIT: I'm referring to whether the heatsink + fan would fit when referencing the heatsink.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  4. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

michal
    re the joystick. be patient, go with a xbox controller for now, it'll be more usefull in the console games (some may disagree :)) and you'll find a stick eventually. setup a few search terms in ebay and gumtree :thumbup:
    re the heatsink, at 11mm high and assuming the fan above it is designed to clear the IO board (i cant comment on Andrews design) it'll be fine.
    the IO board sits on 13mm standoffs, so everything is close but fits. again, not sure what Andrew is making at this time.
    It appears in the pictures that he does NOT have an IO board, so I dont know what clearance he has, but it is safe to assume he does have a heatsink of some kind ...

5. michal

michal Member

Thanks. All good advice, just not certain what the right search terms to find what I'm looking for are.

Just a year ago ro so I gave away a 4:3 Viewsonic monitor that may have been perfect for MiSTer.. VP931b or something like that. I can't even remember the model.. But it was an expensive ($750) pro monitor when I bought it.. SOOO much stuff that I've given away would be useful now :p

P.S. I'd be willing to swap a Dell R710 dual core server for a decent arcade joystick. Just saying.

MUTMAN likes this.
  6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  7. OP
    OP
    elvis

Damn right some may disagree. There's dozens of great retro controllers out there these days. 8BitDo and similar companies make great stuff, and even the cheap Saturn and SNES clone USB controllers on eBay/AliExpress are all great.

XBox controllers are great for 3D games with analogue controls. Terrible for 2D D-pad stuff.

greencamel65 and MUTMAN like this.
  8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

they sound like they are, i've never tried one. i'd love a sf30/sn30 pro but they dont appear to be great value once you add the brick receiver into the equation.

edit - the guy isn't keen to drop hundreds just yet. give him time, he'll be buying silly priced gear. but you want to start slow and low :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  9. michal

michal Member

I'm in my forties, and temporarily back living at my parents because I've probably wasted hundreds of thousands in my life on silly priced gear.. This is not something you should be encouraging!

HOUSE > silly priced gear!

MUTMAN likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    elvis

They do USB as well. I connect mine via USB direct to my MiSTer. They also support Bluetooth to my Switch. Both setups without the receiver.

MUTMAN likes this.
  11. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

PS4 controller works great for mister pad duties. Good layout and response even when wireless over Bluetooth.

I was using the older sfc30pro / orange brick setup, but found it's just too much hassle on the mister. (for the love of God, let us change the default mode to anything but switch mode when flashing the firmware).

At least USB automatically changes out of switch mode without annoying button combinations (one set for the dongle, another set for the pad itself). So wired should be painless at least. lol

Nice being able to just pick up a controller and play again. :p

MUTMAN likes this.
  12. Andrew_Wong

Andrew_Wong Member

OK all the 32x16Mbit RAM arrived today, and I made one module (for myself) to test things out. It runs fine at 140Mhz with 0 errors, but any faster and things totally fall off a cliff.
    Those NeoGeo games are pretty schmick..

Will get as many done this weekend and ship out on Tuesday. Every board will get some test time and I'll confirm what speeds turn out.

On the case front, I've sold a couple of cases, so will print a few if I have time this weekend. I'll update my site with the final dimensions (fits a 25mm thick 80mm fan, plus memory) and
    I'm working on a screwless design so it looks more seamless. Michal - if you need a case don't worry about the P&H .. it won't be much.

Also progress with my plasma cutter but its a bit of a learning curve. I will be cutting out some new controller panels in the next couple of weeks !

deevus, michal and MUTMAN like this.
  13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

140mhz is a great result mate.
    reading up over in the atari forums it seems there is lots of pain and confusion with the 128mb modules.
    ram test core that changes every three days, pcbs that have faults in the layout, knockoff ram chips.... what a minefield !!
    take your time, im not going to die if you dont get mine finished in olympic record times :)

edit - sorg has written that he doesnt see a need for more than 130mhz ever. hes got plans for a 256mb module, but that's to increase bandwidth by going double wide on the bus.

14. michal

michal Member

Had a closer look at the other stuff with the Yamaha DB50XG daughterboard I found the other day.

Also found:

Aureal 2 audio card (with WaveBlaster connector!)
    https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Aureal_Semiconductor

Matrox Millenium G550 Dual-DVI which I used to connect to a TV with support for interlaced output as a HTPC back around 2002.
    (http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/cpu/item/217-matrox-millennium-g550

Sun Quad-port PCI Ethernet Card

IMG_6306-1.jpg

I wonder what other forgotten and misplaced stuff I have. Really wish I hadn't given away some things as now I'm trawling eBay for things I already had :/

deevus and elvis like this.
  15. zaiusdr

zaiusdr Member

What is everyone replacing their power for local AUS use with on the DE-10?

Any recommendations?

cheers.

16. OP
    OP
    elvis

The power supply that comes with happily does AU power standards (220-240V, 50Hz).

I did a dodgy and bent the pins (don't do this at home, kids). But a cheap travel power plug converter will work fine too.

17. zaiusdr

zaiusdr Member

Thanks, any Melbourne based sellers willing to PM me? Looking at a complete kit. Or recommendations.

Cheers.

18. michal

michal Member

I just use Xiaomi power boards. They're actually fantastic quality. Only problem can be using ungrounded Australian plugs as the ground pin opens little covers on the neutral and active. You can always use a little plastic spudger in ground to get around that.

So I have a core update script and a MAME update script.. Are there update scripts for ROMS for any other cores? Genesis? Anything?

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

More controller options for MiSTer users:

RetroBit make shitty emulation devices, but their controllers are great:
    http://retro-bit.com/controllers.html

As mentioned, the 8BitDo Bluetooth controllers all work via USB as well:
    https://www.8bitdo.com/#Products

Endless options on AliExpress. I've got Saturn (wonderfor for MegaDrive too), NES (great for Master System, PC Engine, Gameboy, etc) and SNES (excellent for GBA) clone controllers, which cover almost every core I want to play in MiSTer:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=retro+usb+controller

MUTMAN likes this.
  20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

that offends me like my xbox controller comment offends you :)
    stop at kmart one arvo on the way home and drop a few bucks on an adapter

there are some arcade updater scripts, the retrodriven one, and the JT one are the two that pop into my mind.
    every other core i've tried (not many tbh) works well, i dont think the console or computer cores need the updates like the arcade cores are going through at the moment

I've used MisterAddons before for IO board, 32mb Ram, and a USB hub. be forewarned, the mister project seems to be blowing up deluxe right now. all the established makers have long wait times.
    Andrew_Wong on the forums here is making 32 and 128 ram boards and a case is one the way (?)
    you might be better off getting the bits you want from multiple places so that you dont face crazy wait times

elvis likes this.