1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

MiSTer FPGA (computer/console/arcade hardware simulation)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Oct 14, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I'll try and get some data for you this weekend.

I'll ease your concern in general though - I've fed 31KHz into 15KHz screens for decades without issue. I know folks warn against it "in theory", but I've never yet seen a screen die from it.

But all the same, I'll try and get some data for you on if it's no sync or the wrong sync.

nimmers and MUTMAN like this.
  2. nimmers

nimmers Member

This thing is so good man, just 1CC Black Tiger on it and it feels just like playing on a supergun.

3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

and it just keeps getting better :thumbup:

nimmers likes this.
  4. nimmers

nimmers Member

Black Tiger approves.

IMG_20200314_225456.jpg

Vanne, elvis and MUTMAN like this.
  5. nimmers

nimmers Member

Any luck?

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

No sorry, I've been crap. I've got tomorrow free, so I'll give it a crack then.

nimmers likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    elvis

So unfortunately I couldn't tap the signals the way I wanted to on my scope. I'll need to make a tap and do that, but it won't happen today as I don't have the parts handy.

However, my PVM can do lots of modes (Up to 1080p with ease), and tells me quickly if I've got a 240p/480i mode or a 480p mode. Good news is mine boots straight to 240p, no messing about, using DirectVideo with composite sync (my PVM only takes csync externally). The delay from boot to menu, and menu to Jotego's Black Tiger was almost identical between my IO board and DirectVideo. My DirectVideo syncs much faster than yours, comparitively.

I actually think it'll come down to the encoder. There are some occasions when I'll change resolutions on my DirectVideo, the PVM will sync, then a second later lose sync for a split second, sync again, and be fine from that point forwards. My guess is the DAC internally is hiccuping a little, and that your and my DAC are slightly different.

But at this stage I'm 90% confident the DE10Nano itself is booting and initing the HDMI port directly with the given mode, and not booting at a higher mode and flipping. I'll 100% confirm that when I get my VGA and BNC taps built (something I've wanted to do for a long time anyway, so this is good motivation).

8. nimmers

nimmers Member

Thanks man, yeah my main PVM is a multiformat one too, I am testing for now on one I don't really care about till I'm sure it's all ok. Maybe I should just nut up and play on my main one - I want to do some streaming :)

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

I've had Black Tiger running on demo mode through DirectVideo for a little while now (since posting last), and it's starting to lose sync on me for a few seconds every minute or so. I wonder if it's not a perfect 60.00Hz.

MAME says it is, but this is odd. I'll flip over to the IO board and see what happens.

[edit] Well that's cool - the IO board is enabled while the direct video is. That means you could run dual CRTs out of MiSTer. Interesting!

[edit2] No sync loss on the IO board. Definitely looks related to the DAC. I might buy a few cheapy ones off AliExpress and test them all over the coming months.

[edit3] The MiSTer menu shows the IO board vs DirectVideo colour difference. There's banding in the IO board which doesn't appear in DirectVideo. Colour in game appears a little lighter on DirectVideo, but it's hard to tell if that's my DAC or not (no way to test without another DAC).

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  10. nimmers

nimmers Member

Odd, I'm using this DAC: https://www.jaycar.com.au/travel-hdmi-to-vga-stereo-audio-converter/p/AC1724

I've never lost sync playing Black Tiger and Last Blade 2 and I've put in many hours.

11. OP
    OP
    elvis

Seemed to happen after a while. The DAC does YPbPr as well so I'll try that out and see what happens, as well as trying other monitors/TVs.

If anything's to blame, it'll be the DAC itself I'm sure.

[edit] Hahaha found the cause. This DAC can draw power from the HDMI port, but sometimes it's not enough. The power cable I have for the unit appears to be a bid crap (can't tell if it's the cable or the connector on the DAC PCB). Power drops, sync drops.

Time to crack it open and touch up the solder pads.

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

Righto the soldering iron showed it who's boss, and it's far more stable now. No change to colours or brightness which is good, just the sync is rock solid.

I think it was one of the worst soldering jobs I've seen in a while, not to mention a lot of really gummy flux left around on the board. Removed a lot of the excess lead-free solder, gave it a hard scrub with iso and a toothbrush, touched up the points with good quality flux and fresh 60/40 solder, another iso scrub, a final PCB cleaner spray, and back in the box it went.

At this point I'm reasonably confident that it's sending 15KHz modes at boot. Again, I'll start collecting the bits I need to make signal taps, but it looks quite safe to me.

What I'm happiest about out of this whole seeing the 6bit vs 8bit colour difference, even if it was only in the menu. One of these days I'll compare the 10-scale grey and RGB primaries on my colour probe to see what measurable effect that has.

MUTMAN and nimmers like this.
  13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

solder iron out, did you solder a new chip on that usb board ?

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

Nah, still on my list. I might need a heat gun for that one though, not sure.

I got a desolder station recently with a solder sucker gun attached. It's helped heaps for through-hole repairs. But surface mount might need a hot air attachment for that.

Either way, I can live without the USB board for now. Got a few other things I need to polish off first (my YouTube videos on colour correction being my top priority).

Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  15. nimmers

nimmers Member

I tried running this through a JPAC with just the 15K jumper set and get the same transitions so I guess it's just sync.

elvis likes this.
  16. michal

michal Member

elvis Which desoldering station did you get? How much?

17. Vanne

Vanne Member

Man I soo suck at black tiger.. anyone got any tricks on how to run this?

I sucked at it too when it was in the arcade.

18. nimmers

nimmers Member

Game the System's Discord has a monthly comp and Black Tiger is this months game.

Here's a quick and dirty 1CC I did - I had never played it before this month:

It's not too hard, just a bit of learning where things are really.

Vanne likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    elvis

My lovely wife got me a Yihua 948 for Valentine's Day. Now *that's* romance. :)

They sit on eBay for $150-180 (although that was before the Aussie dollar took a beating). Gets you 1x vacuum solder sucker and 1x soldering gun. I believe they offer a hot air gun addon too as a separate purchase?

20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

is that a MiSTer bug or a game bug at 46m ?