1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

MiSTer FPGA (computer/console/arcade hardware simulation)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Oct 14, 2018.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i know we all have a mad list of wants, but zero news on DonPachi or variants makes mut sad

2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I figured as much from your avatar. :)

But, I'm on your side. R-Type of course, but Air Duel, X-Multiply, Image Fight, Hammerin' Harry (LET'S GET BUSY!), X-Multiply. All cracking games.

Not "Legend of Hero Tonma" though. Screw that game. (It's not that I suck at it, honest).

Vanne and flain like this.
  3. darknebula

darknebula Member

Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    elvis

Many thanks to 2SHY for sharing this:

https://gamehistory.org/days-of-thunder-nes-unreleased/

Game History's Frank Cifaldi and others worked to restore a bunch of discoverd 5.25" floppies containing an unreleased NES game authored by a NES developer who passed away in 2012. Lots of moving parts here to not only restore the bits and pieces, but then reassembly, compile and test the running code.

I love this preservation stuff the most out of this hobby. Definitely where I get my warm fuzzies.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    darknebula, 2SHY and flain like this.
  5. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

reminds me of the original MiST in a way

its probably not my cup of tea, but dont listen to me :)
    if you like it, go for it.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

There's a few cases out there now. PorkChopExpress has a nice one on the way, and Cam here on OCAU was designing one too.

I guess it depends on what you're after. For me, compact with lots of USB ports is the way. I've seen some people make faux Amiga or AtariST style cases that look pretty good too, if you want to use it more for the microcomputer side of things than the console side.

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

Please note, this is NOT MiSTer footage. However this is a Nintendo DS core running on a more powerful Artix7-200 FPGA platform.

The author states that this can't be ported to MiSTer, although there still are hopes for a simpler version lacking features (whatever that means) to work at some point.

Either way, interesting to see an upper bounds of the current MiSTer design.

Bigger write up by Smoke Monster:
    https://www.retrorgb.com/nintendo-ds-fpga-core.html

8. Vanne

Vanne Member

Hows the x68000 core going? I am itching to pull the trigger on buying a real system, but the conectivity /peripherals are a complete buyers nightmare. :(

Wish we had a x68000 looking case for the Mister.

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

Looks somewhat functional. The github page says there's still some work to go. No idea what FM/MIDI stuff is like (as in, can you hook it up to a real and/or soft synth and use that).

10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

the DS is a fairly modern setup right ?
    2x 32 bit ARM cpus - ARM946E-S @ 67mhz and ARM7TDMI @ 33 mhz

it would be incredible if MiSTer could run that :eek:

11. Vanne

Vanne Member

Yeah, I've mucked around with the core a bit. I can't say I've tried to connect my sc55 to it yet, but it's period correct and supported, if you have the 400us plus midi board for it. Lol needless to say I don't, but I am not sure if that midi board is Implimented in the core.. nfi actually..

That, and your not paying 200+ us for a freaking keyboard...

Another question I have is that some of later x68000 have 10/16/20mhz switch.. any idea if this is Implimented? I should update my core and have a look.

The other drama is that if your connecting to a non 15k Hz display that the occilator can go out of sync and blows the occilator on the vid board, easy enough to fix, but shitty non the less.. Mister forgoes all these issues.. amazing thing that lil PCB.

12. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

anyone thinking a Sega system 16 wont make it to MiSTer ?
    well sorry, its on the way :)
    Mr. XB has some vids up of early game play from the A and B
    very tasty

in other awesome MiSTer news for digital panel users, theres a new resolution in the .ini
    can anyone tell me what 1440/6 equals ???

Vanne likes this.
  13. darknebula

darknebula Member

What controllers does everyone recommend?

I already have a bluetooth 8bitdo SF30pro which i bought for the RPi

I was looking at something like the M30 Sega Genesis controller since it has 6 face buttons and 2 shoulder. I also have some xbox one controllers

Am i correct in assuming that BlisSter is no longer required and the standard USB hub is all that is required?

14. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i think that one Is dead now due to api and some other nonsense ?
    elvis will know for sure :thumbup:

but for super low latency we have serial native SNAC now (via the 'usb3' port on the IO Board)
    for the rest of us the 1khz polling on usb seems to be good enough

If you are planning a two player setup the controllers had to be identical, but i think things have changed there too .... i havent looked into it since i bought two identical controller boards (xinmo singles)
    :D

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  15. OP
    OP
    elvis

misteraddons.com's PorkChopExpress maintains a list of controllers he's testing:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...g6qCJzGuhyGmXaOIUrpfncXIM/edit#gid=1214855193

Very accurate testing method too. Uses an arduino to press a button and measure the response from the Linux subsystem of the MiSTer.

Separate tabs in the sheet for wired and wireless.

MUTMAN and darknebula like this.
  16. Vanne

Vanne Member

ive got a slightly modded NeoGeo AES controller/ modded to USB.. its freaking awesome!

wow, just had a look through Porkchops list, holy cows there is a lot of difference for some of them...
    neostick10.jpg

The buttons originally were ...to BARF for!!! Sanwa ftw

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    MUTMAN likes this.
  17. Vanne

Vanne Member

Elvis, I haven't updated my Mister in a long while, whats the best thing to do mate? nuke it and start over? or just update it, id love to get some of those auto scripts you guys have been working on going on mine... :)

18. OP
    OP
    elvis

I run these four scripts in order (best bet is to "git clone" the whole project and copy it over. Failing that, download it as a ZIP, copy across, unzip with directories in tact). I SSH in to my MiSTer (default user: "root", default password: "1") and run them that way rather than from the MiSTer menu itself.

1) MiSTer Updater. This will update the MiSTer core itself, official cores, the Linux build, etc. Will likely reboot at the end automatically if major things get updated.
    https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Updater_script_MiSTer

2) RetroDriven's updater:
    https://github.com/RetroDriven/MiSTerMAME

3+4) MAME Getter and HBMAME Getter. These grab MAME and HBMAME (HomeBrew MAME, hacks, things like Final Fight Anniversary, etc):
    https://github.com/MAME-GETTER/MiSTer_MAME_SCRIPTS

Vanne, flain and MUTMAN like this.
  19. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

hahhaa. i didnt know about these.

edit - or the one below that flain has linked

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    elvis likes this.
  20. flain

flain Member

elvis and MUTMAN like this.