MiSTer FPGA (computer/console/arcade hardware simulation)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Andrew_Wong

Andrew_Wong Member

20 enough ? Just PM your address.

The Rack will have 4+ DE10 Nanos and 1 Pi4B with a 1TB SSD.

Gigabit Ethernet switched between the DE10s and the Pi4.. Pi4 acts as a router/fw/fileserver for *ALL* the ROMs.. wifi.

8 players .. 4 gaming stations (27-42" LCDs).. external HDMI switching to wall mounted LCDs..

MUTMAN likes this.
  2. michal

michal Member

This is the way.

20 should be fine thank you!

3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

4. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

and speaking of speaking of :D

nullobject has posted that he wants to implement this

upload_2021-1-31_12-13-50.png

anyone else having a blast on beta 2 of dangun feveron ??
    it is hilarious and crazy at the same time

5. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Not currently, but I played it to death about 15 years ago on MAME. Absolutely loved it.

I'd just discovered the shmups forums and Cave, and was blown away by DoDonPachi. I delved deeper into the Konami/Trasure/Cave/Eighting/Raizing thing, and got REALLY obsessed. Feveron was way up there as something totally fresh and unique within the shmup world, and oddly didn't have a huge following at the time because it wasn't considered "hardcore". Great that it's getting love again now (it also got an M2 port to PS4 earlier in the year, which is awesome).

My life became all about collecting these games and playing them in whatever way I could (I have original copies of most of the Japanese Cave games for PS2 and XBox360 which all fetch a fortune now, plus a bunch of shmups on Dreamcast). I even bought all the fan made Cave and Treasure t-shirts from shmups.com sellers (back before buying t-shirts on the Internet was easy or cheap).

I'm keen to go back to it on MiSTer. I promised myself I'd dedicated this weekend to getting QEmu+3dfx+Win98+acceleration working. And I think I'll wait for all these Cave cores to settle and go solid before I dive in. I quite like that beta stuff is out there for people to test, but I think I'd rather just play it once it's working.

baronbaldric and MUTMAN like this.
  6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

hahaha. i had noticed you have a ever so slight inclination towards the shoot em ups
    :D :lol:

i dont know feveron at all, maybe the crazy disco graphics put me off back in the 90's, but i'm loving it now
    and if you did want to have a sneak peek at DF, it is totally playable right now. some minor sound glitchs and the odd video layer priority thing
    but for the most part its good to go. better than any allwinner pandora box emulation for sure :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

7. flain

flain Member

DigitalFoundry finally did a MiSTer video -

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

If you're going to play shmups on MAME, use GroovyMAME, GroovyArcade or shmupmame. And I'd recommend Linux as the base OS instead of Windows. All of these are mentioned specifically for their commitment to lowering input and rendering latency over vanilla builds and OSes.

Yes, there will be slight latency advantages for MiSTer. But 90% of mere mortals won't notice the difference playing any of those builds mentioned above.

If you've got a MiSTer already, neat! If not, don't discount MAME because those Pandora boxes are so terrible. Their faults aren't necessarily caused by MAME.

9. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

I tried dodonpachi on mame not too long ago. I noted how simple-ish first couple of levels are, how tight the control is, how satisfying it is to mow enemy aircraft is, and yes... how weird candy-crush-saga-like the huge rotating golden stars are.

elvis and MUTMAN like this.
  10. darknebula

darknebula Member

MUTMAN likes this.
  11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

Allow me to ask the obvious question:

What can Retroarch run that (a) MiSTer can't, and (b) that will have the performance on MiSTer's extremely anaemic main CPU (Dual core ARM Cortex A9 800MHz, about half way in between the RPi 1 and RPi 2 in performance)? It won't have the guts to even run PS1 I don't think (I could be wrong). But N64 and co are only just possible on a much faster RPi4.

I mean, sure, if you're one of these ultra-minimalist types who has zero patience for more than one tiny box in their house. But damn, is an RPi4 next to your MiSTer going to kill you?

I swear the Retroarch folks remind me of the NetBSD team, whose catch phrase is "Of course it runs NetBSD!".

13. darknebula

darknebula Member

Then what motivation could they have for bringing it to Mister ?

14. flain

flain Member

They want it to eventually be able to launch FPGA cores, currently there isn't a way to launch a core like that though.

Get the popcorn ready, there's going to be a lot of people who don't like the idea :)

MUTMAN likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    elvis

It's an open source system, so anyone who doesn't like it is free not to use it.

I know that anti-emulation elitism is high within the MiSTer community, but they do seem to forget that they're free to ignore software they don't like.

I'm certainly asking the "why bother?" question, but don't get me wrong - the RetroArch authors are free to do whatever the hell they like. I've certainly written some completely useless software in my life too. :lol:

16. Grant

Grant Member

A Linux-based software frontend for the arcade cores would be pretty cool, as well as loading games on "computer system" cores by title rather than "core then submenu".

Not something I'm particularly excited for (I'm not one for MAME frontends either), but again, open source...

17. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

I'm not sure it's that anemic. Given that a Cortex A9 will have much better single thread IPC than an A7, the CPUs on the DE10 and Pi 2 are probably somewhat close in performance. More interesting, though, is if more peripherals can be emulated on the CPU and used by cores loaded on the FPGA.

18. OP
    OP
    elvis

Even so, that's not great. I built an RPi2 cabinet for a friend some time back, and it was really only good for 2D 8/16 bit stuff. More arcade stuff than MiSTer, granted. But the Pi4 is miles ahead.

Certainly I see the limits of the DE10's ARM core when it comes to MUNT/MT32/FluidSynth stuff for the ao486 core.

If the project is more about offering better frontends, that's not too bad I guess. Particularly for rotated displays. Although like you, fancy front ends don't excite me.

19. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I have used this for my Pis with a few mods for my USG 3P in the same 1RU. Using POE hats for the Pis too. Maybe somewhere to draw inspiration ;)
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4125055

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    Andrew_Wong likes this.
  20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

MiSTer on DE10 isnt end game right ? hardcore FPGA's with big little arm will certainly be affordable in the next decade

besides there's still a half dozen or more old arcade machines i'd be happy to have available as emulation until simulation is written to replace them