Mixers - Breville, Kenwood, KitchenAid - Recommend me something!

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by iMomOx3, Mar 14, 2019 at 12:20 PM.

1. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Looking at getting a mixer for my partner and feeling so overwhelmed with the choices and differences in model numbers etc. So I'd love some real world suggestions and comparisons (bonus if you've used a range of brands/models).

My partner most of the time makes cakes of all types, makes a lot of different desserts with meringues, cupcakes maybe around 12-24 at a time, and the odd cookies in batches of maybe 12-48 cookies. She won't be making multiple cakes in the one night, just a single cake so nothing for catering sizes.

Looking up a few, I've stumbled across:
    Brevilles' Scraper Mixer and Brevilles' Bakery Boss
    Kenwood Chef XL
    KitchenAids - KSM150? 160? 170? What's the Artisan difference?

Assuming my budget sits between $300-450 (Personally would prefer the lower number for me but whatever keeps her happy I guess), what's the best take for the cost/performance/reliability ratio.

Also to note, I read around that the Bakery Boss has issues with whipping up egg whites if there's only 1-2 eggs in there. I don't know what quantity she uses for lots of stuff but could that be a big problem if she just wants to make a small dessert for the 2 of us?

Thanks in advanced. Feel free to ask me questions to help deduct the best mixer and I'll answer what I can accordingly.

Edit: whilst it's there, I might in future, use it for mincing meat with an attachment and look at the possibility of making dough and pasta.. right now that's not its intentions but it may open the door for me to get into it too! Might as well make my moneys worth for myself.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 12:24 PM
  2. power

power Member

Bought a Kitchenaid, thing is amazing. They even carry a commercial warranty.

the big 'un with the glass bowl pretty sure it's the KSM170.

can't remember what the differences are tbh.

3. Baringa

Baringa Member

I got my mixer years ago, but I got the Kenwood Titanium Major. It's a beast, honestly. Very heavy, and has never even had so much as a hiccup. It was much more than your budget at the time (memory fuzzy but I think about $750 or so), but in general I wouldn't hesitate to get one of the higher end Kenwoods.

sebbyreddan likes this.
  4. broccoli

broccoli Member

Get a vintage kenwood chef secondhand. You can pick up a bargain, with all the attachments (like the mincer and pasta attachments). Otherwise, I expect Kenwood Chef is still a good option. There's a reason they haven't changed that beater in 50 years (or whatever it is)

slavewone and Baringa like this.
  5. power

power Member

oh and for small stuff, hand mixers still rule the roost.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

To be quite honest I find the cheaper items quite reliable so that's what I tend to buy, in the more recognisable brands.

7. OP
    OP
    iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 12:50 PM
  8. power

power Member

9. Hater

Hater Member

Near Canberra? I'll sell you a KitchenAid that's been barely used for $400 if you want, only selling as it's a USA one so needs an invertor (included)

I never use it as I have an Australian one too

10. broccoli

broccoli Member

Have a look at the photo of the Kenwood Chef models. See that line at the back on the top? That's a cover, you take that off, and there's a gear that you fit the attachments to. The Kmix is just a mixer, you can't fit attachments to it.
    You might want to consider the next model up, the KVL6100T. You get a stronger motor and a couple of extra beater attachments.

I'd still recommend looking on gumtree. Cost out what it'll be to buy the attachments if you buy new and look for a deal with everything/several attachments.

11. Baringa

Baringa Member

My Kenwood came with a blender (a proper heavy glass one, works a treat) and a meat mincer. They go in the attachment thingies. They're so sturdy I wouldn't hesitate to consider getting one secondhand

12. OP
    OP
    iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Melbourne unfortunately :(

13. OP
    OP
    iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Going by The Good Guys web listing for the KVL6100T and KVL4100S, they both have the same attachments? Other has 200W more power but that's it from what I can tell.

14. broccoli

broccoli Member

My machine is from the 1970s. It HAD the blender (bloody cat destroyed it), I've got the mincer, juicer, potato peeler, maybe other stuff, I can't remember. The thing is, you can still buy attachments which will fit the vintage machines. They are built like brick you-know-what's. At one stage, my machine was a box of bits (went for an overhaul, they couldn't put it back together, or went out of business, or something, I just took it somewhere else, they put it back together).

firey4059 and Baringa like this.
  15. broccoli

broccoli Member

Go to Kenwoodworld.com and you can put in models and compare. You get a folding beater and there's a "folding function" on the KVL6100T but more importantly, I've just noticed that the 6100 is aluminium and the 4100s is "metal". Go for the aluminium body.

16. power

power Member

i'd also vote you go see them in person, avoid anything with too many bells and whistles that's just more crap to break. a good stand mixer will last a looooong time.

17. asho444

asho444 Member

Kenwood all the way, I bought my wife the kmc510 I think last generation or two ago chef normal size and it's amazing! Has been flawless and came with a flex beater or creaming beater which made out of this a world buttercream for cakes.

Bought it for pretty much the exact same reasons as yourself and actually came with a meat grinder! Does a damn good job too even has a sausage nozzle to make your own!

That price for the xl is a steal paid more for mine :(

4 years old and no issues other than she broke the flex beater after her millionth set of cupcakes and just bought a new one :)

iMomOx3 likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Fair enough. My experience with folding is that it should always be done by hand because of how delicate it would have to be - however obviously being a feature means it must be doing something right so I may be spitting shit with no real experience to say so myself. I can give up 200W of power and folding features and save over $100.

Definitely. I'll be going into Goodguys tonight as they close late to check out some of their range!

And thank you for your experiences with a Kenwood asho444. Making my choice easier and pretty much nailed it down from what I can tell.

19. broccoli

broccoli Member

Aluminium body. Never rusts.

20. asho444

asho444 Member

Yea even the older model Kenwood fold bread and pizza dough quite well, we used to be a by hand family but it just knocks it out so damn quick!