1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

MMO's Today

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Draethz, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Draethz

Draethz Member

So I was bored and went back to read the original WoW thread on this forum. WoW was my first MMO (probably like most people) and reading that thread bought back many fond memories.

With at least 4 new MMO's coming out soon (two later rather then sooner) this got me thinking.

I have played most popular MMO's but none of them hooked me like WoW did back in 2004. It just blew me away, everything about it. Even the servers being borked for the first 2 months didn't really matter because the game was so good it outshadowed those problems.

No game has come to close to impressing me as much as the early days of WoW. Warhammer came close (I was a huge warhammer fan though) until max level. Every other game has just been "meh, done this before."

ToR looks like it may be another one of those games even though I really don't want it to. GW2 seems better but I have concerns it may be like Warhammer was where the journey is fun but the destination is just terrible.

I remember little about War, Aion, Rift, DDO etc however I remember plenty of things that happened in WoW during the first few months.

But was WoW really that good? Is it just the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia making it seem to be better then it was?

2. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

WOW was not my first MMO and it was not the best MMOG ever. It's definitely one of the most well executed and "best-selling" MMOG in North America but far from being original.

With that said, I thoroughly enjoyed Ultima Online and Everquest 1 & 2 a lot more than WOW.

You're missing out on quality MMOGs only ignoring the Asian MMOG market, and as long as you have the "WoW fanboy goggles" on nothing other than that WoW will impress you anyway.

These days people will look at a game's visual aesthetics and "ah it looks shit" and never bother to play the game more than the first 10 free levels. Gamers also tend to shun the "Free to Play" game model due to "pay-to-win" idea.

Of course you'll also be restricted by language barriers and so on, but that's only one of the many barriers getting on to the Korean/Japanese/Chinese MMOGs.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  3. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

I've tried Guild Wars and LOTR but neither of those compared to WoW. However, that's as far as my MMO experience goes :p

Looking forward to Firefall though!

4. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

I question the "massive" part of Firefall's MMOG description. :/

I think it'll be like Global Agenda... which is a multiplayer lobby with pve/pvp instances + rpg content (i.e. levelling / gear / dungeons).

The game concept has me interested though :)

5. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

Yeah I have my reservations about it being "massive" but it does have a lot of the characteristics of a MMO.

Btw, any recent MMOs you'd recommend Pinkeh?

6. Kore_5022

Kore_5022 Member

I played wow first, i have hundreds of days on it (years in fact), but i always enjoyed Aion more, it was so fluid but challenging. Dropped it due to lack of friends playing though :(

Was wow really this good ?

Vanilla was amazing, PvP 'grind' kept people hooked if you where into it, server only pvp realms meant you had rivalries in games on on forums you'd log in and go WOW ITS XXXX I MUST FIND AND KILL AND GLOAT ON FORUMS BEFORE THEY DO. The raiding was fun in vanilla as well 40 people ftw :D (and naxx was hard). TBC was good and raiding was still hard after this it died off wotlk raiding got to easy and cataclysm is a fucking joke

tl:dr wow was good, and then got catered to casuals because they bring the money and went to shit

7. Syvirus

Syvirus Member

For me the best MMO ive ever played to date was "Darkeden" been playing it for 12-13years now and still has the best PvP imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K9PnmIGhtM

This dude is terabad at explaining the game -,- he thinks xp is fast but he dosnt say max lvl is 250 and to get that is alot harder then you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg15voe0GCk

Vid of a bible war which are pretty sweet fights.

But WoW is still fun to play but id still take DE over it.

8. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

SWG was my favourite, hands down. I only ended up playing wow because my friends did. For me, playing without friends ruins a mmo, but its hard to get people to try anything beyond wow these days.

9. zoogwah

zoogwah Member

Could be to do with who you played it with?

The end of BC and half of Wrath were the funnest times I had in WoW by an absolute mile, even though I think Wrath was fairly shit in many ways until Icecrown (and even then they did some regrettable things IMO). The only reason for this is because I had around 8 regular RL friends playing with me and even running heroics over and over again or doing speed Naxx/Uld runs was amazingly fun.

It's really just not the same without a regular group of friends playing along with you.

10. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

In Ragnarok Online i used to spend a lot of time (as a high level healer) helping out random noobs in the starter area. That was a lot of fun and made a lot of friends that way.

Watching 4x level 5 newbies fight a grasshopper is the most hilarious thing in the world. They're throwing 1's and 2's. The grasshopper throws 20's, 30's. HEAL! HEAL! HEAL! :lol:

Then later in the high level dungeon areas... running around with my "Turn Undead" spell and spamming it on zombies with 30000-50000 hp killing them in a couple of attempts when they normally take a full party to kill. :)

In 'rest' areas i spam "Sanctuary" (an AoE heal) on randoms and guild mates waiting for their hp to return. (normally takes up to 20 minutes to recoup a full bar of hp) :D

Life of guild healer :)

I really enjoyed rag because you just run into a bunch of people sitting together on the world map waiting for their hp/mana to regenerate, and you either join in on the conversation or help them along the way (buffs, heals etc). Makes it very enjoyable in undead dungeons because healers are like God.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  11. summoner

summoner Member

UO was my 1st MMO and I loved it, many a late night playing with Aussies on lagged to shit server in USA but it was still enjoyable. It was even better when we finally got oceanic servers.

Tested DAoC and that wasn't bad but didn't grip me. Then played WoW(like everyone else) for ages since that became the go to MMO for people I knew). Flirted with Warhammer on release but was disappointed with it and didn't end up pursuing it further. I also tested NFS:Motorcity due to being a car nut but it isn't an RPG as such and was unfortunately buggy as all hell and died a quick death. Shame as I loved the indepth modifying.

I consider iRacing an MMO of a type and play that although not much lately due to work/life interfering to much. Next RPG for me will be SW:TOR as friends are getting into it so i'll play it casually and soak up the story line.

I'm not sure if MMO's have gotten better or worse or it is just that I have changed over the years. As I get older priorities change and so does my level of commitment :/

12. Kore_5022

Kore_5022 Member

Definitely playing with friends has a lot to do with it. When all my online buddies started dropping wow that is when i noticed it became tedious and what i was slowly drifting towards, thinking about the game becoming to easy and boring, suddenly hit me in the face like a tsunami.

Wrath was hit and miss imo.
    Naxx was the worst thing they ever did to the game
    Ulduar was fun, hardmode pre-nerf firefighter (mimiron), freya and yogg where the best fights in the whole expansion. Mimiron hardmode to me was actually top 5 fights ever in wow until they nerfed it into a joke.
    ToTC/ToTGC Joke of a place
    Icecrown was fun until the buff got past 15% then become to easy bar 25 hm lich king

13. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

SWTOR is on my list of things to do with TOG.

Rift died after 1.4. Wasnt impressed with the new content to want to resub. Weekly lockouts was a major letdown, and getting a raid group together was getting tougher because people want to be with their families on weekends.

Who you play with and their level of commitment has a big impact on your overall enjoyability in any MMOG.

14. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I'd like to make a point of observation:

WoW - Almost 7 years running, 3 expansions, 12 million+ subscribers and still charging $15 a month on said subscription
    SWG - Started around the time of WoW, had subscriptions(?), made changes which pissed a lot of people off, now to be killed off at the end of the year
    Matrix Online - Was around, now dead
    LOTRO - Went FTP soon after launch and is virtually dead(?)
    DCUO - Mixed reaction, disputes of exchange rate + subscription, now about to go F2P
    STO - Mixed reaction, improved gameplay and content, now about to go F2P
    Aion - Was promising, but went quiet pretty quick
    CO/COH - Popular but now about to (if not already) F2P

It's interesting that no matter what MMO launches, it has never been a WoW killer despite early claims. Despite the popularity in some, they eventually become F2P or die, yet WoW stays strong with its operational structure hardly changing except for ingame content due to story progression.

15. FiShy

FiShy Member

If it aint pre-trammel uo, it aint worth playing.

16. Jaded5542

Jaded5542 Member

SWG was the best MMO ive ever played, just becuase theres doing shit, then theres SWG's version of doing shit.

XP was great aswell, you didnt just get it handed to you, you had to use your skills, so healers got XP healing, crafters got XP crafting, and the TOTAL lack of classes made it the most re playable MMO ive seen to date.

Sif im going to invest in one toon, only to get bored and re-roll, just drop all XP earnt and start again with all my cool items.

Oh and Hero classes should take a page out of SWG's Jedi hero class, 6 months waiting around for Obi Wan, then going through the trials was EPIC, i never got to finish mine, which is sad, and i really couldnt be stuffed when i found out Jedi was a starting class in the next patch...

17. Beaner

Beaner Member

Hah you think the Obi-wan trials were epic. The days when you had to prof grind for Holocrons to become Jedi. Now that was truly epic and stupid lol.

18. Ricardo

Ricardo Member

While LoTRO is f2p, the best parts of it still required you to pay, the lastest expansion has seen an influx of old players coming back (me included). The story lines and leveling in lotro is easily the best of any mmo i've played, end game just lets this game down (luck for me i'm a life time subscriber so I can enjoy the new exspansion each time they come out with minimal spend).

The thing with wow is the critical mass of people that play and thats the start and finish of it, the social and grouping part of any mmo is what keeps people playing (along with a decent challenge).

Ric

19. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

...and that it is so goddamn easy. They package up so much apparent complexity, that in the end, matters very little. Makes it extremely easy for people to accomplish things, while at the same time, making them feel good about those "accomplishments".

20. Paronga

Paronga Member

Pre PoP EQ (even a bit after PoP) is it for me
    GOD DAMN I'D KILL TO PLAY IT BACK IN THE DAY

interesting enough, for any EQ addict.
    Sony released a version of EQ for Mac. It was released in 2004 i think, just as PoP came out.

They bailed on it hard and never patched it ever. I think it got one patch ever.
    But they never killed it.
    So there is a EQ mac sever out there still dishing out Early PoP EQ goodness.
    I've played it an it's great!

no one has killed keyframe yet, and i think they're scared!