Mobile Phone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Matt P, Feb 16, 2007.

?

closed

Poll closed May 10, 2010.
  1. .

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. .

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Matt P

Matt P Member

Hi all

Can i make a suggestion that we have a consolidated what to buy thread? I know theres a separate forum for that kinda thing but it seems noone else knows that (but in their defence, noone answers the questions in that forum anyway, well, noone answers my questions :lol: )

Yay/nay?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2009
  2. Villa

Villa Member

I say yay. The people who frequent the What/where to buy are normally asking about computer parts + answer computer related questions. The people who really know about phone stuff probably don't frequent that forum anyway. =)

One rant I would like to get off my chest lol, is that what I hate about the phone industry in Aus. is that once you indicate the style (flip, slider) and price of the phone that you like, there are only like 6 phones to choose from, and only around half of them are any good. =/ Or am I wrong/not looking hard enough. I hope I'm wrong. =p

3. Spindleshanx

Spindleshanx Member

You are very right.

I am in the same boat right now. Once you know what you want in your phone, there is only one or two models to chose from. When I was thinking of getting a new handset a month or two ago, I thought there would be hundreds to chose from, but does not seem that way at all. Looks like I will have to wait for the new SE's (880) as nothing ATM is worth signing down for for 2years.

4. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Iron Photographer

welcome to the salt mines, kids. australia simply does not have the population, thus the potential market, and required clout to get more than what we have.
    in fact, if you look at it on a per capita basis, our market is pretty much saturated for choice as it is.
    i dont like it either, but hey, 20 million is tiny on a world market scale.

5. josh81

josh81 Member

Good idea on the what to buy thread, same goes for Portable computing, you are much better off posting what laptop to buy in that forum rather than the WTB forum.

Just based on form factor and price, i think 6 phones is a bit of an exaggeration except maybe if you wanted a slider phone. But i know what you mean.
    Looking ahead to my next phone i want 1. symbian, 2. 3G, and 3. better than my current handset. That narrows it down to like 5 handsets, before even thinking about price.

6. Villa

Villa Member

Is it possible to go overseas and buy just a phone, bring it back to Aus and stick like a Vodafone or Optus sim card in it and it will work? Is this recommended?

7. djulls

djulls Member

lol yes. of course...

8. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Yes, as long as it has the right frequencies.... 900/1800/1900 gsm, 1800/2100 umts and 850 hsdpa (AFAIK).

9. Villa

Villa Member

Will there be any problems with warranty or anything if it breaks?

10. Cyb3r

Cyb3r Member

Yes, most compaines don't offer international warrenties, hence why most people buy their phones from stores rather then ebay/overseas.

11. isaaus

isaaus Member

YAY from me as i change phones/contracts every few months, i get depressed searching for phones and sometimes end up with the crap.

12. josh81

josh81 Member

You get depressed searching for a new phone? You change phones every few months? Why do you if it depresses you?

13. Pie_Lad

Pie_Lad Member

I change phones every few weeks. One of the perks of the jobs.

Currently using a (Voda branded) Motorola V3xx. It's not a _bad_ phone, but something about it just annoys me. Not one I'd really recommend.

Next on the drawcards is the Nokia 6300, which I really like the look of. Should be one of this year's biggest sellers.

14. josh81

josh81 Member

Why is 6300 going to be a big seller? It's GSM for gods sake, and the camera 2mp nothing special, basic quality camera and video QCIF. No wifi, no symbian, 7mb on board memory, screen ok.

It is RAZR thin, but not especially attractive.

15. OP
    OP
    Matt P

Matt P Member

the market its going for doesent want/need any of that

bluetooth - check
    expandable memory - check
    middle of the road camera - check
    thin - check
    looks good enough - check

It'll put the nail in 6151's coffin though and probably steal sales from 6233.

and for the record its 15% less volume than a certain other thin handset :p

16. Pie_Lad

Pie_Lad Member

Sure, 3G is cool.

Come spend a day in my store though, and take notes of how many customers buy a 3G phone because of what it can do over a 2G phone.

Maybe 1 in 50...

17. isaaus

isaaus Member

Lol

Its depressing, spending few hrs at 2am in the morning looking and reviews and other shit and you find one small trouble with the phone and you know you are going to buy that phone but that tiny thing is going to annoy the hell out of you.

My last 18months personal phone changes
    PanasonicGD88e -> K750i -> W800i -> 6670 -> Z800i -> V3x -> U880 -> N70 -> U890 -> U400 -> 6280 -> V3x -> K610i -> K800i -> W850i -> W950i -> Dopod 838 pro and i am still at Dopod 838 pro and still got the shitty V3x with me, all others sold.

I find it cheaper to buy a second hand phone online and use it for few months and then sell it at the same price before the price goes down and get the newer ones. This way i always have a new phone in my pocket and the only thing i pay is for postage for the usage of the phone for few months.

18. azron

azron Member

I've had problems getting Dopod 838, I want to change carriers (to THREE) and up my plan to a cap (maybe $99??) with the dopod handset included.

I've read before (on these forums) that doing this will result in a three sales person saying, 'soz we got no stock' - thus saving the phone for a non-cap plan user.

Is this still true? Can you still get the 838pro? Any ideas of a new model?

19. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Iron Photographer

thats BS :thumbup:
    that was probably said during oct/nov last year, when the whole of australia couldnt get any stock... so some stores wanted to reserve them for certain plans yes, but now, with no supply problems, you can do anything you want. :thumbup:

20. azron

azron Member

awesome, next time I walk into a three store I'm demanding a dopod and a cap plan with them.

cant wait!