Mobile Phone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Matt P, Feb 16, 2007.

?

closed

Poll closed May 10, 2010.
  1. .

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. .

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. millsy

millsy Member

2. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Yeah that is a mighty fine deal for the Pixel 2.. was wanting to maybe give it a try and that has swayed me, especially with the 15gb per month included (and actually the free Google Home Mini too).

3. millsy

millsy Member

I have done some soul searching and when I get around to it i'll go for the Mx online deal and try and negotiate for an extra 5gb/mth.

My Nexus 5x has about a year odd left of security updates and I don't 'really' need a new phone, might even get a work one and bin the sim :p

4. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Looking for a new phone now as my wife had a few plants on the freezer where my phone was sitting. Plants leaked phone got wet so now I need to buy another cheapish mobile as it is Christmas time so funds are limited.
    Must be unlocked as I am not with Telstra. Prefer Android So far I have found at HN
    LG G6 64GB $688
    HTC One X10 32GB $448
    Samsung Galaxy J7 Pro 32GB $448

Any suggestions?

5. millsy

millsy Member

6. asho444

asho444 Member

https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/motorola-moto-g5s-plus-32gb---grey-1031000271
    https://www.harveynorman.com.au/moto-g5s-plus-32gb-lunar-grey.html $429

Moto G5s Plus, i have the version prior, absolutely perfect stunning phone for the price, i honestly don't have a single complaint, all glowing reviews from pros too

7. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

8. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Thanks going in to town on Wednesday so I can have a look at the ones mentioned here.

9. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

So I've been rocking a Moto G 3rd gen for years but its starting to get pretty slow and the screen is cracked so I'm thinking of upgrading. I'm not a heavy user, just calls, podcasts via bluetooth in the car and occasionally a bit of twitter/ maps usage. I'm currently just running on an Aldi $15 per month plan which suits me just fine. Battery lasts a few days which I like.

Hit me with suggestions for something under $200 unlocked thats going to work for me, I know id get more 2nd hand but not sure I can be bothered with the hassle of it.

10. mmBax

mmBax Member

Hi all,

Looking for something reasonable for my mum. Dads got an s6 on a plan, but mum rocks the prepaid plans and wants to buy something reasonable, outright.
    Dad rang me the other day asking if the Samsung J1 2016 would be sufficient? It's 144 outright at Harvey Norman. Gets used for calls, messages, maybe emails at a pinch. But I can't foresee her putting on any apps, no facebook, no games, no music, nothing.

Sounds like it'd be an easy slot to fill, but she's had a string of poor choices, underpowered garbage Nokia and some rubbish Telstra spec phone prior.

My gut says this will be fine, but looking for opinions as I haven't looked at phones for years. Budget is sub 200 ideally.

11. sanjay

sanjay Member

i wouldn't recommend something so basic, it will only serve to frustrate. depending what network she is on, the various carriers sell locked variants of some decent mid-range smartphones for between $150 to $200 (vodafone sometimes sells the Xperia XA for $119, which is a real bargain when available).

12. mmBax

mmBax Member

13. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

Nokia 3?

Mediatek MT6737 - Quad-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A53
    Mali-T720MP1 GPU
    2GB RAM
    16GB ROM
    8 MP f/2.0 Front/Rear Camera
    5" 720p IPS Display
    2630 mAh battery
    Android 7.0 (Nougat)

$170-$190

http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=Nokia+3+16GB&spos=1

Otherwise there are plenty of Chinese phones that could be recommended.

14. SGG

SGG Member

Or 20% off $625 for an LG G6 and thats Australian retail stock with LG manufacturers warranty ... and these are great phones for that price point ($500 after discount)

15. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

For anyone looking for probably the best budget android, the Redmi 5 Plus has now been released (essenitally the note 5).

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_5_plus-8959.php

Price is around $220-250 on the usual chinese sites, just make sure you get the 4gb,64gb version.

It's a lot of phone for the money (Snapdragon 625, 4gb,64gb,1080 x 2160 IPS Screen, 4000mAh battery), however it does have a couple of letdowns, namely no QC3, and still uses a Micro USB, which is strange considering their phones from earlier in 2017 had switched to type C). No NFC either, but not expected on a budget phone.

The snapdragon 625 is an older processor now, but still seems to perform very well, especially considering most phones under $250 have a mediatek or lower end 4 series Snapdragon.

Also no band 28, but that's pretty much standard for xiaomi.

My Note 3 pro is starting to bulge, so I ordered a 5 plus today. I tossed up between this and the Mi Max 2, but I thought that screen may have been just a little too big for my needs.

16. sanjay

sanjay Member

for similar money to the redmi 5 plus i would probably be going with a xiaomi mi a1, but theyre both good options.

that being said i would still be recommending a second-hand HTC ONE M9, LG G4/G5 or Galaxy S6/S7 over any chinadroid for $250ish. band 28 is just too important in australia to go without.

17. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

I wasn't a fan of the A1 aesthetically, though I can understand the drawcard of the software!

I'm with Kogan, who don't use B28 anyway, so for me it's a moot point. Also personally not into s/h phones, but for some people I guess it's fine?

I'm checking out the Elephone S8 now, as I had to cancel my Xiaomi order due to a stock issue with the seller.

18. sanjay

sanjay Member

whats the basis for your aversion to second hand phones? have you only ever purchased brand new cars, too? :)

19. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Personal preference. They aren't a high priced item like a vehicle, and I'm not willing to spend $1000 on a flagship phone, so I would like to buy new and not second hand.

Each to their own, if people would prefer a s/h phone to a new one, more power to them!

20. millsy

millsy Member

Old earwax, yuck :p

For what it's worth I managed to get Telstra to sign me up to the Mx deal at 39/mth with extra 5gb data. So 15gb /mth for 39, very happy :)