Mobile Phone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Matt P, Feb 16, 2007.

?

closed

Poll closed May 10, 2010.
  1. .

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. .

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

So far i've ordered a Redmi 5 plus, only to find seller had no stock, and there was no official global rom (up until a few days ago).

Ordered a Mi Max 2, and now gearbest won't have stock for another 15 days... FML

2. sanjay

sanjay Member

Could've bought a bunch of second hand 2017 flagships by now instead of stuffing around with chinese import sites

millsy likes this.
  3. Hater

Hater Member

Some people are happy to waste their time with Chinese junk I suppose.

4. r3s

r3s Member

Anyone got any advice or know of something that meets these criteria.

Faster processor/game speed then Galaxy S7
    Screen that has a bezel and doesnt wrap around the side, i fucken hate edge style designed phones, i want to be able to put a toughened screen protector on it and have a case that can wrap around the sides like the S7
    Android

5. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

what's the budget?

6. r3s

r3s Member

Dont really have a budget as it will be on a plan etc or buy outright.

7. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Hi, i have a Samsung Google Nexus, been a great phone, and still in 95% perfect condition, however i think it is now lagging behind in technology and may be time to replace it.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_nexus_i9250-4219.php

However, i don't want another phone bigger than this one, or any heavier (this is a heavy phone) so this is what i would want from a new phone.

- at least 4.5" to 5" screen, with 1080p res - at least 2gb ram - better processor than the Nexus - decent camera - preferably have a card slot (not fussed)

This might fit the bill https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/lg-q6-32gb-black/

Any recommendations, don't want to spend much as i basically only use a phone for emergency use, but i do shoot reference videos and photos while out and about.

Happy to buy a 2nd hand unit, but it must be in VGC.

Cheers

Its not the phones that are junk, its the fucking stores that sell these chinese phones, most of them should stop stuffing people around.

We have several Redmi phones in our family, and a few DTC as well, all never missed a beat, so no complaints here.

BTW, where was your phone made ?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  8. melatonin

melatonin Member

Sony XZ premium might fit the bill, octa-core and it's a square, tough as.

9. r3s

r3s Member

Sweet thanks, i might throw up a post in the pokemon 40's facebook page and see if anybody has experience with that phone, i like the look of it and how things are laid out so if real world performance matches and the newer version is suppose to be released soon it may just drop further in price :D

10. r3s

r3s Member

After a bit more research the oneplus 5t is looking better and better for a phone to buy outright and then just go on a $40 plan with 20gb data a month which should see me out for the next 12 months easily, ( only barely use the 7gb a month now but starting to use a bit more here and there so would be nice to not have to ration the last 1/3 of the month )

11. pezzy

pezzy Member

how about the nokia 8 res?

12. M United

M United Member

Can anyone recommend a quality power bank that has fast wireless charging for my incoming s9+? Is it the same QI system as the s8?

13. r3s

r3s Member

After certain nokia fails i steer clear of them now, whether its justified or not its just a mental thing after they released bad phone after bad phone after being the best in the industry back in the day.

14. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

the Xiaomi ones are pretty good, but there are a lot of fakes going around

15. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

https://oneplus.net/au/5

16. r3s

r3s Member

Yup i am leaning towards that currently, only problem is availability in Aus, can't throw it on a plan, would have to buy outright, hopefully when the S9 is released it takes a bit of a price reduction :)

17. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Another option is Oppo R11s/R11s Plus. Appears to be a great phone, but possibly around speed of s7/slightly slower.

Tries very hard to be an iphone though.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  18. millsy

millsy Member

Is there any phones that aren't google ones with OS support nearly as good? I expect my 5x is likely to go out of support this year and am starting to shop around. Pixel 2 seems to have a few issues that marr the quality of it. Ideally something that supports VoLTE and Telstra Wi-Fi calling too.

Thinking at this point whatever iPhone is good at the time will be the choice but I've been quite happy with android and have no burning desire to change.

19. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

OK folks, I'm thinking of replacing my razr m mostly because of android version (4.1) and not being able to use some apps that need newer version of android. Not really any other problems, it does everything i need (calls, sms, small amounts of browsing, lite app use).

My priorities: Small physical size, good battery life, good camera.
    Currently I'm looking at galaxy a3 (2017) and sony xa1 at about $300 - not many options at smaller sizes in this budget range.

About the same width and thickness (66mm and 8mm), xa1 is 10mm taller (biggest issue for xa1).
    Battery life similar according to gsmarena (slightly better for a3: 163 vs 150 h endurance rating for my usage)
    XA1 a bit cheaper ($240 vs $290)
    XA1 camera better except no image stabilization?
    A3 has ip68 (not sure if I care about this - never had any issues with previous phones)
    A3 doesn't have band 28 (not sure if I care about this, barely use data, current phone doesn't have it).

Any opinions or other suggestions?

20. pezzy

pezzy Member

watched some vids on the oneplus 5t and wow, its a very nice phone. although im not sure if its a good idea to buy a phone that ships with nougat? isnt there a feature starting from oreo shipped phones where software updates will become easier for all brands where as a result will be supported for longer? cant remember the name of it.