1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile Phone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Matt P, Feb 16, 2007.

?

closed

Poll closed May 10, 2010.
  1. .

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. .

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. spludgey

spludgey Member

2. arytel

arytel Member

What are the recommendations for a Nexus 5X, its served me well but its starting to get laggy.
    I'd be looking around the sub $1,000 but preferably $500 would be better suited.

3. sanjay

sanjay Member

probably the best value flagship going around at the moment is either the mi mix 3 5G or the mi 9t pro.

4. Azrael

Azrael Member

Not quite a phone per say, but related.

Recommended wireless charging units? Looking for something for home to charge an iPhone, and then a more portable unit to integrate into the car for wireless charging of a tablet while its hooked up to the datalogger.

5. zwatton

zwatton Member

Fellas... need some help. Got 3 options after selling my s10+ (I hate the camera hole)

Note 9
    S9+
    Pixel 4XL

Help appreciated.

6. sanjay

sanjay Member

as per my post from tuesday...mi 9t pro or mi mix 3 5g if you want a notchless full screen experience. theyre getting MIUI 11 rolled out on them now too which is apparently a big improvement over MIUI 10.

7. r3s

r3s Member

Looking at getting the S10e soon and wondering if anybody who has 1 can comment on their experiences with it.

My reasonings are that i believe it has a flat screen with little/no "edge" , and it is a cut down version of the S10 but shares the same processor and important bits to keep the price down?

I know there are reviews but nothing beats a proper unbiased non backend deal review from people who have 1.

8. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

Any small cheap android phones? My wife's lumia 532 needs replacing as whatsapp doesn't support MS phones after this year. Just whatsapp, phone calls and SMS. Long battery life. Any ideas?
    Thinking nokia 1 plus for $126.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  9. Hater

Hater Member

second hand iPhone SE for sure

10. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

long battery life though?

11. Hater

Hater Member

light usage'll get you 2 days easy

probably get one cheap with a bad battery and pay apple the $79 for a new one, bing bang boom excellent battery life for you

12. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

Hi guys,
    Looking at getting my 10yr old his first phone. Want a cheap phone call only mobile, should i be looking at second hand or new? Cheers!

13. Hater

Hater Member

always second hand always even for you

14. OMARK

OMARK Member

I'm looking for advice on the best phone at $300 or under. Will be for a 12 year old, on an Optus MVNO.

A few phones I have looked at HTC u Ultra, LG Q7, Oppo r11, LG Q60, Realme 5, Oppo AX7. Not limiting options to these though.

What factors should i consider most? IP68 and USB type c are high on my personal list, whilst the Kid will likely want to play some games on it, has iPad for school so should I consider IOS options? (I am pretty firmly in the android camp myself)

15. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

Thanks, but android for sure. I'm not going anywhere near apple stuff. Anyway, picked up a galaxy a5 from JB's sale of discontinued phones, was a bit more than I planned to spend but should do the trick.

16. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Anyone used or handled the TCL Plex? JB are selling it for $500, and it's meant to be an upper mid range phone. I currently have the Samsung A30. It's good, but not compatible with Minecraft Earth (despite it can do ARCore), and its OS and some core app performance can be sluggish.

17. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

Well, the A5 was DOA and the last one. So I"m looking again.
    Some options I'm looking at: Lg k8 2017, k8 2018 (k9), k30 (2019), HTC U Play, Nokia 1 plus. Price $150-200. Nothing really jumps out as cheap and fits the requirements.

18. Hater

Hater Member

stop wasting your time and life with cheap bottom end android junk and buy an SE already

Zee and akqrate like this.
  19. SiliconAngel

SiliconAngel Member

It's 2020 and I'm back to celebrate OCAU's 21st anniversary with my very own noobish question! I need a sub-$300 phone for my wife. We've gone through four handsets in five years staying under the $200 mark, this clearly isn't working. I have a reasonable idea about flagship options, but I know precisely nothing about the sub-$1k range (unless they're older flagship models), and there are a heck of a lot of options out there!

She doesn't use her phone for much - very occasional calls or txts, almost no apps, but the smaller and lighter the better (she's disabled) and if there's a preference for anything, it's camera quality - she does try to take photos on her phone every now and then, and they've been universally unusable from her previous phones. So even if we go for something older or second-hand with a superior camera...

Oh and a replaceable battery would be ideal - we had to replace her last Huawei handset because the battery swelled so much it made the screen curve like a banana and I couldn't take it out to replace it :-/

Thoughts/recommendations/suggestions very much appreciated :)

20. Hater

Hater Member