1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile Phone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Matt P, Feb 16, 2007.

?

closed

Poll closed May 10, 2010.
  1. .

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. .

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

heaps of people at work that got one oh the the S20 variants, have been really disappointed with the phone.

2. shino

shino Member

Man the a20 is hard to work out how to use. So faking frustrating. Though worked it out. Not great for old people

3. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

disappointed how?

expecting a lot faster? or better camera? and it didn't deliver?

4. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

one major disappointment was the camera. Couple of guys in my team went from the s10 to s20 (work at Telstra and we got 50% off the rrp) and they said the photos from the 10 were better.

Stooge007 likes this.
  5. sanjay

sanjay Member

i went from an S10 snapdragon variant (which apparently had a better camera than the exynos variant) to an S20+ and i can say the S20+ photos are a lot better than the S10 (in my anecdotal view), especially for low light and night shots thanks to the ToF sensor on the Plus model.

6. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

Replacement for aging Huawei Mate 9......looking sub $1k, prefer $500-$800 range

Currently looking at LG G8s for JB $499, or Mate 20 $799 JB

From what I gather LG slow with updates, and poor camera....Huawei worries me with the corona virus stuff will Trump attack them again?

Have no experience with Xiaomi or Oneplus etc....never quite liked Samsung for some reason, but using S10 for work and slowly getting used to it.

Also recommendations on Ebay sellers if any reliable??

Edit: prefer fingerprint reader on back

7. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

i had an LG G6, then a Samsung S9+. now an LG V40+

i found the cameras to be fairly similar quality across the board, and the LG gives you more options out of the box for wider shots etc.

Havabigjuan likes this.
  8. spludgey

spludgey Member

I've got a Mate 20 Pro and love it!
    It doesn't have the fingerprint scanner on the back, but 95% of the time, FaceID will work instantly so that this isn't an issue. I've found that when it doesn't work, the under screen fingerprint scanner isn't fantastic though (but my screen is scratched).
    The phone is also old enough that I don't think you have to worry about Trump too much.

Havabigjuan likes this.
  9. ssar

ssar Member

Have been lookin' @ new mid-range Android phones ~$400-$500 for myself & +1 on & off for several months, bought 2 x Samsung galaxy A71 units through Samsung Education Store online just now - net price just under AU$1000 (after additional $50 off with "news, offers and product information" rego offer after selecting such from within the Samsung Education Store).
    Excellent.
    Look like pretty nice units (advertised for RRP$700/$650 on various sites).

Had considered brands incl. Google, Huawei, Motorola, Nokia, Oppo, Realme, Samsung, TCL, Xiaomi
    Almost decided on the Realme 6 (very-well reviewed / rated) for ~$470 recently.

Lookin' forward to setting them up, (replacing our 5yo Asus Zenfone 2 units), seeing how they feel with the supplied cases, shopping for better cases if need be etc.
    Will also need to get additional USB-C cables for car charging & spares for USB-PC interface - have seen bright-coloured ones, prob get some of those so they stand out from the mess of other old black or white cables we have.

Havabigjuan likes this.
  10. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

Cheers. looking forward to some reviews

edit: I think I am going to give LG a crack.....there is something about Samsung that just doesn't tickle my pickle!

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  11. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

i'm a big fan of LG :)

had a G6, now rocking a V40+

can't see myself upgrading for a while (famous last words)

12. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Ya similar. I went G4, V30 V40 and have been extremely happy with them.

Stooge007 likes this.
  13. ssar

ssar Member

Received our new Samsung Galaxy A71s promptly, set 'em up etc.

Am very happy with them - one of the larger screen size units we considered, & I've gotten used to the larger size pretty much straight away, lovin' it.
    Am using the fingerprint unlock security paired with pin code & it seems to work fairly well.

It's snappy (I would hope so, compared to our old phones - we squeezed just over 5 years of life out of our ASUS Zenfone 2 Android 5.0 units), & was hoping for good things from the UFS storage & reasonable CPU).

For ~the AUD$500 range, here's what I short-listed in recent months:
    - Realme 6: almost bought it ~$470, very well-reviewed
    - Samsung Galaxy A51: seems worth considering for a good price
    - Motorola Moto G8 Plus ~$450, was recommended
    - Nokia 7.2 ~$500, was recommended
    - Google Pixel 3a/4a? , was recommended
    - TCL Plex ~$500, seemed OK
    - Oppo Reno2 Z ~$500, was recommended

Also researched some other Huawei & Xiaomi models, but less inclined to consider unless big discount.

Be sure to use gsmarena to compare models etc.

A mate recently got a Galaxy S10+ for ~AUD$1100 through amazon.com.au (tho personally I avoid Amazon), which he's happy with.

14. maninabox

maninabox Member

I've got a moto g5 plus on its last legs, had it for 4 years though, so can't complain! However, finding the choice a bit overwhelming. I got given a Samsung A30 for a work phone which is sluggish and frustrating from a performance point - so I'm trying to get a personal phone under $450 ideally that's got reasonable performance for general tasks. Camera can be a bit crap, But I want it to be a snappy phone that ideally I can use out of the box.

NFC would be nice.

I was thinking Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro - Kogan or eBay order seems to be under $400, Realme 6, or the OppoA52 seems to get some cheap phone love? If I could get a cheap Reno z then that seems like it would tick the boxes too.

Anyone have any thoughts / suggestions? Thanks in advance

15. archie

archie Member

If you're going to miss the twist for camera and karate chop for torch stick with the g8 plus. Was under $400 recently

16. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

I have had a LG G6 for 2 years, been the best phone i ever had, not that i had many, and for what it is, i think the camera is very decent, which is why i stuck with it, the 1080/60p video is ok, and photo quality very good.

3 weeks ago in my haste to upgrade to another LG phone, i wanted to wait for the new models, but there was no real time frame, so i looked into the V40 which apparently has a kick ass camera, with 4k/60p as well (no stabilization tho) however i couldn't find a brand new one locally, so i found a brand new LG G8S in my local Gumtree which i ended up buying for $550 still sealed in the box.

Stunning phone, identical to the G6 to use, not much had changed, unfortunately as i had read, the camera in this G8S is shit, apparently they gave this model a completely different camera to the one they put in the V40, yet both phones were released about the same time, and almost identical spec wise.

My wife is getting the G8S now, as soon as the Pixel 4a arrives, think i am very keen to try one of those, mainly as it should have a pretty decent camera, even though it will only be a single one.

Otherwise i will wait for the next LG models to arrive, probably a bit late now to bother with a V40, not unless someone can send me a sample video shot at day time and night, and some photos to look at.

My G8S has 4k/30p and 4k/60p video but no stabilization, but there is with 1080/60p, which isn't too bad, but the 4k is just so jerky, and the camera is useless at auto focusing when panning even slowly, it seems to be seeking all the time, and the photos just seem to be very flat and kind of blury, and the color is not right, however i do shoot video and photos in AUTO mode, but my G6 is excellent.

Oh, and i also bought an OPPO Reno 10x 3 weeks ago thinking i would use that, it was a stunning phone, but too different from my LG G6, so i sold it to my daughter, and she loves it, and the triple camera on that phone is amazing, and she thought her older OPPO was good.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  17. sic_vl2000

sic_vl2000 Member

My OnePlus 3T, is starting to die, it randomly turns off and can't be powered back on for hours.

Looking to spend $400, I really don't want to go over that. I've been looking at the Motorola G8+, is there anything else I should be considering. It's just for general use and a good camera, really can't think what else.

18. maninabox

maninabox Member

Didn't even think about this to be honest - might be worth a look. Was just concerned that it seemed lower spec performance wise compared to some of the Oppo / realme / Xiaomi options - but I guess it's not like I'm gaming with this, so it's a pretty good option at the price point!

19. asho444

asho444 Member

Got the wife a reno z from oppo store in ebay for 400ish, can't complain. Has 8gb ram and 4 dedicated to the os so it's pretty snappy

20. sic_vl2000

sic_vl2000 Member

How's the oppo os these days my wife had one a few years ago and I wasn't a fan at all.