1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile Phone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Matt P, Feb 16, 2007.

?

closed

Poll closed May 10, 2010.
  1. .

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. .

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. sanjay

sanjay Member

Poco X3 NFC. If he's coming from even the crummiest old iPhone, anything less will feel like shit and will frustrate him.

2. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

i would go one of the pixels (4 probably at a minimum), or Samsung S10 (onwards)

3. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Thanks boys, his current phone is a 4 I think.

Does the Pocco have a decent os? Not bloated? He was looking at Oppo phones but I know nothing about them either. Any of the BigW phones worth a look (as missus works there)?

Yeah it's a start into Android, maybe next time he can buy his own .... :lol: :lol:

4. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Currently 64gb G9 can be bought off ebay for $249 with coupon, the pocco has a lot better specs but os purchase only?

:)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  5. sanjay

sanjay Member

If you can find a pixel 4 or a Galaxy S10 for $300 I'll show you a bridge to buy :p

Poco OS is fine. No different to anything else you get for the money. Otherwise the Moto G9 Plus is a good option if it's still $319 as it was a few days ago.

6. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Is the plus bigger? Coming from an iPhone 4 he's already in for a size shock so he won't need a plus size

7. sanjay

sanjay Member

plus is bigger and also has a much better chipset than the G9 play or power (which are the others you are probably looking at in that lineup).

maybe a second hand pixel 3 or Galaxy S10e is a goer if you want to get him something small.

8. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

A G9 Play would still be a huge improvement over an iphone 4 right?

What other aus store phones are in this price bracket? The Pocco seems well specced but yeah os market, delivery time, warranty etc. Easier to get a local phone imo.

9. sanjay

sanjay Member

10. jpw007

jpw007 Member

My S10+ decided that it'd melt a bit and back glass has lifted a little + there's melted plastic now blocking charging port so it's off until i can source something to replace it with and t'fer everything in one go...

I'm finding the S10+ to be a little too big and looks like even the S20 is pretty much the same size. I don't want/need flagship anymore, just something that'll take a microsd card and has reasonable battery life. I use android auto constantly and no interest in IOS.

What's recommended for android phones these days? I'm struggling to get my head around them these days. I've had LG and Samsung in the past....Oppo seem cool but i think they're also same size i.e. a little too big. I wish phones werent all getting so big these days!

11. xplod140

xplod140 Member

What to buy for a wife who drops phones like her fingers are painted on but needs a good camera for business stuff?

Her poor little Poco F1 is very shattered now. Would like something similar but prefer to buy locally.

12. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Anything that you can put in an Otterbox case imo

13. GTR27

GTR27 Member

I have a Note S10+ for work and a Motorola Moto G 5G for personal, and honestly the motorola is a better phone. I find the samsung clunky in comparison. The software as well, the Motorola has the newer gesture version of android compared to the "old" version the samsung runs. Camera is better and the non rounded screen is a plus for someone with fat hands / fingers.

Only cost <$500 bux and has 5g too.

Wife has a Pixel 4a which is quite a bit smaller if size is an issue. But IMO thats a bit too small if you're coming from a note 10+. But Pixel Android (generic) > all other versions.

14. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Thanks Sandra Sully. 3 months late lol

GTR27 likes this.
  15. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Haha should have read the date. Had a notification for the reply so assumed was replying to that part lol

jpw007 likes this.
  16. archie

archie Member

yes she needs a heavy duty case.
    perhaps a pixel 4A 5G?

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

How good do those pics need to be? What is the budget? Any midrange to top end phone will be fine for good quality snaps. In terms of dropping it, well she probably needs one of those shock proof all over protected heavy duty cases.

18. xplod140

xplod140 Member

I feel like the best option is superglued to her hand but this might be more palatable.

Was looking at the 4a, just not super happy with their pricing.

I think my biggest problem is she's seen how good photos are from an iP12 now I'm scrambling to get something near that at an eighth of the cost.

19. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

I am still curious as to which Sub $600 Android phone has the best all round main camera, for stills and video quality (with stabilization for video)

20. archie

archie Member

Check ozbargain. There were some 4a 5g deals for $600 outright