1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile Phone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Matt P, Feb 16, 2007.

?

closed

Poll closed May 10, 2010.
  1. .

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. .

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

2. xplod140

xplod140 Member

haha, I refresh it 30 times a day!

GSM Arena says it's the Xiaomi Mi Note 10 Lite. But every review of theirs I read puts me off whatever phone they're reviewing.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  3. archie

archie Member

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/608336

4. trevor68

trevor68 Member

The camera on my Realme X3 Superzoom is outstanding for the $500 I paid.

5. xplod140

xplod140 Member

Appreciate this. Just got JB to price match.

Officeworks wouldn't beat it by 5% as you have to create a Telstra id to buy it which is BS, it even came out as a head office memo for the Pixel.

We actually went into a Telstra shop to buy it but they had an hour wait, even after I said we just want the phone without a contract. Beyond useless, but thanks for putting the price on your website for price matches dickheads!

archie likes this.
  6. archie

archie Member

Lol good work

I'm trying to pick up the s21 Ultra in the trade in program

7. xplod140

xplod140 Member

I hope your screen is perfect, I hear they're knocking back a lot of phones with minor blemishes.

8. archie

archie Member

I bought an old phone to trade it in.. let's see when it arrives:p

9. 151528

151528 Member

Pretty sure I'm looking for a unicorn, but does anyone know of a phone with a 5" display or smaller, no fingerprint reader and that isn't a Chinese brand?

10. xplod140

xplod140 Member

Why no fingerprint reader? Non China is also probably hardest for your other requirements.

11. 151528

151528 Member

To put it simply, I don't need that level of security on my phone. But that would be the least strict of requirements

12. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

But what difference does it make if it has a fingerprint reader, you don't have to use it, you are just limiting your choices of phone a lot by not wanting the phone to actually have this feature.

13. 151528

151528 Member

Okay I'll bite.

It bewilders me that so few seem to share concerns for a device that can read your fingerprint and presume no one will try to use it maliciously.

14. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

I always have concerns about anything to do with securing my devices the best way i can, i have my LG G6 secured as much as i can, i try not to stay logged into any websites that i go to, and the same as my google account, i refuse to stay logged into that on my phone because it leaves my gmail account open, but almost everyone i know has their email account logged in on their phone, among others.

My phone has no fingerprint scanning, if it did i would not use it, the same applies when i finally get to upgrade, i don't care if my new phone choice has the fingerprint reader, i still won't use it.

On my laptop i do not store any personal files, i use a 2tb SSD plugged in, and that SSD is encrypted, so when i use the laptop i plug the SSD in, open it using my encryption software, and when i shut down the laptop i hide the SSD away, so if some idiot steals the laptop they don't have my files.

My own mother is a classic case, she has lost her phone twice in 2 years (left them on the counter in shops and returned to her) and she refuses to lock her phone with a pin or password, and she insists on having access to all her websites like gmail, the bank, the library and other websites without having to log into them, so i gave up trying to tell her how vulnerable she is, but it makes no difference, and that is why i will never help anyone over 65 to setup up a phone or laptop, because they are too lazy and can't be told.

It amazes me that there are so many people out there who simply don't care about security on any device, they just shrug it off, or they genuinely don't know or understand what could happen.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    151528 likes this.
  15. power

power Member

maybe it's just you and your crazy ass family :D , i have setup phones for parents and other relatives and always stressed the importance of security on the device, they were more than happy to use a fingerprint for locking the device as well over a pin.

do you log into every app on your device ever time you use it!? WTF???

16. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

It is just my stupid 84 year old mum and some of her friends, the rest of my family are probably a bit more cautious, and certainly do use scanners or a pin to unlock their phone or laptop, and yes i and my siblings have tried telling her, but it doesn't matter, so we all gave up.

Sorry but i do not use my mobile for anything other than making/receiving calls and texts, and photos/videos when needed, i lock the phone with a 4 digit pin, and it is set to lock after 30 seconds.

I am one of those who just doesn't get too involved with their phone, i do what i need to do at nights on my laptop, so yes, i stay logged out of everything, even my google account, and if i had to do an email or just check them away from home i log into my google account and log out when done, i probably do this once a week, and i also log in when using google maps while traveling.

17. power

power Member

fair enough, i've been on the smartphone bandwagon way before it was cool so to me the world just caught up.

glenpinn likes this.
  18. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

I know we are going off topic, but because i am not one of those who sits on their phone all day and uses it to do everything, it just seems wierd to me when i see so many people glaring at their phones all the time and not paying attention to what is happening around them, then again i am just an old fart and doing stuff on a phone is just too cumbersome for me, i just wait until after dinner to do what i need on the laptop, sometimes if i am not too busy in the workshop during the day i might get on the laptop and do stuff then.

power likes this.
  19. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Hey guys, i have been looking at upgrading from my current LG G6 phone (which i still love ) mostly to get 4k/30 and 60p with stabilization, more internal storage, a higher SD card capacity, and a better camera, as far as the other hardware goes, i have always been happy with the G6 performance, unfortunately my G6 does not have stabilization and i need it.

I liked the Pixel 4a but it has no SD card slot and i need one, i looked into some Motorola models but i can't get my head around moving to one of those, but now i have been in conversation with another member (Ck21) who has helped me with a lot of info regarding some of the slightly older LG models, particularly the G8 and the V50 models which i am now keen to grab.

I know that LG are soon to close down their phone department, but that has not put me off buying one as i was told there will still be lots of spare parts available for there current line of phones.

I searched Ebay to find a V50 phone and there 2 sellers located in Melb, selling for $620 and $659 respectively, so i sent the first one a message and he tells me it is a korean model (by the model number) and i noticed this morning that he has sold 4 of these on April 17 and 18, sold his 2nd last one today, and i just got a message to offer me the last phone for $599 because i showed interest, and i am finding it very tempting as i know this phone was very good, and i was going to buy one last year but ended up getting a G8s model as it was on sale but it was shit so i gave it to my wife.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-LG-...-Screen-unlocked-phone-AU-STOCK-/174734144736

The one thing that concerns me would be battery life on a phone that is about 2 years old and never been used, would the battery have some wear on it by now.

Can anyone here offer me any other newer model phones for around $600 that you believe to be a better phone, especially regards to the camera and storage space, and it must shoot 4k/30p-60p and have some kind of stabilization.

On the video side of things, last night i downloaded some sample video clips from the gsmarena server for the LG G8 phone (actual files from the phone) and i noticed that the 4k/30p sample was a lot clearer and sharper than the 4k/60p file (both recorded the same scene in static mode and both at the same bitrate) but the 1080/60p and 30p were shit, so unlike my GoPro that phone records better image quality at 4k/30p, but i also noticed that most phones are pretty hopeless with auto focus while panning or moving the camera about, unlike most conventional video cameras with built in auto focus.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  20. jpw007

jpw007 Member

If you can source one, i think the S10+ fits the bill. I had it before my current S20 and loved it. Has everything. The S20 is good but no headphone jack and focus is a bit slow (though i havent played with it since a few updates so might have been fixed).