1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile Phone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Matt P, Feb 16, 2007.

?

closed

Poll closed May 10, 2010.
  1. .

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. .

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Video recording

- The Galaxy S10+ is a highly-capable video camera that offers 2160p video at 60fps and 30fps, with the H.264 codec, the 4K@60fps videos are captured at 72Mbps bitrate, the 4K@30fps captured at 48Mbps, AND H.265 mode is also available, bringing those bitrate numbers down.
    - There is electronic stabilization available in all modes except 2160p/60fps.
    - The regular stabilization is already very good and it has you covered when more detailed footage (or, you know, autofocus) is required. It smooths out shake nicely and we didn't observe any jello effect or issues when panning.
    - Otherwise video quality is very good. 4K footage from the main cam is detailed and contrasty, with spot-on color reproduction. There's virtually no difference between 30fps and 60fps clips in terms of detail, which is quite a feat.

At least this phone records the 4k/60p at a higher bitrate than the 4k/30p does, which means that 4k/60p should look as good as, or even nicer and clearer than the 4k/30p does, unlike the LG G8 that i got samples from, that phone records both 30p and 60p at the same bitrate, making the 30p mode look much better, and the 60p mode had no stabilization either.

Sadly, there is no Auto Focus in any of the 4k modes, only in 1080p or lower, which is sad, but most likely the same for all mobile phones up until now, so i need to get over this barrier, and not use the phone if shooting on the run or doing any kind of panning, so it looks like i will be getting my new GoPro 9 Hero for travel videos afterall.

2. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

How good or bad is the Galaxy S20 Ultra and the S21 5G phone.

Read several mixed reviews on this, most seem to rate it 4/5 stars, generally i have never been a fan of Samsung.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  3. Go_Cat

Go_Cat New Member

Can anyone suggest a small phone? My last phone was a Samsung Galaxy s5 which was 142mm, i really cant handle much bigger then that. I want something thats going to last me a while too so something not too crapy or old, nothing more then 2 years old. Thanks!

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Maybe have a look or ask in the Small phones thread : )

5. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Looking for a new phone, my LG G6 Wi-Fi is finally giving out after years of hard work. Not after anything fancy, gotta have decent battery (at least 20h internet), headphone jack, IPS screeen preferably, OLED burn in is shit, IP68 ideally at least some kind of protection but can go without if need be and not be the size of a small country 6 - 6.5 inch top to bottom, seeing screensize doesn't determine physical height. I do like the knock on feature LG have, tap the screen to wake up / sleep but LG also have horrible Wi-Fi issues, always have so I guess I'll have to sacrifice knock on :( (seriously why the hell don't all phones have it, it's extremely convenient).

I was looking at the Poco M3 (cant find it in stock) and the Moto G10 but I dunno, both seem ok but not great. Not really looking to spend more than $400, no point seeing flagship phones have utterly atrocious battery and battery really is my main priority.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  6. jpw007

jpw007 Member

That knock feature has been on the last few Samsungs. I loved that about my G6 also and missed it until they brought it in also but LG started to drop the ball hence my change also.

It's a bit older now so cheaper: I always had a great experience and battery with my S10+. I loved that phone until the charge port melted...But samsung did replace under warranty with minimal hassle.

7. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

i'm running an LG V40+ which hasn't had any wifi issues, but otherwise sounds like would fit the bill

not sure you can get them new anymore though

8. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Thanks, I'll check them out. Currently looking at the Samsung A32 $425, Motorola Moto G9 Plus $397 & Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro $350. All 6GB Ram and 128GB storage.

A32 is more expensive, slightly slower hardware, an AMOLED 90Hz screen but has 3 year software updates and seeing I cant be assed to root, might be ok. G9 has the best battery of the lot, pretty powerful but slightly bigger than I wanted and I've heard from quite a few people over the years the updates they push may or may not hamper performance. The X3 is the most powerful with the most features etc and the cheapest but, Xiaomi... Lot of hassle to remove all the bloat and other things that could be present.

Edit, found the Samsung A32 on Kogan for $349, bought it a Spigen case and screen protector for $398 delivered :thumbup:. Was the best deal I could find after spending the whole day looking at phones, reviews, problems etc.

Edit 2, got the Samsung A32, case and screen protector yesterday, seems to be pretty decent for the price. Took a while to remove the crap but the knock on works well and it was enabled by default.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    Stooge007 likes this.
  9. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Any recommendations for Android phones under $250?

10. mareke

mareke Member

I just bought a Nokia 6.1 for $196 on eBay with free postage and sent by express post. It's my first smartphone. I only bought it so I could use the QR code reader when I go shopping. I'm happy with it. You could drive a car over it and it would still work. It's a nice size. It feels a bit strange having a phone made of aluminium. It's got Android 10 on it. The funny thing is yesterday I noticed an ad for a Nokia G10 that was cheaper and had Android 11 installed. The Nokia 6.1 is an old model so maybe the G10 would have been a better buy.

11. miicah

miicah Member

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/motorola-g30-128gb-pastel-sky

30seconds looking on JBhifi, but this shows the kind of specs you should be getting for $250.

Snapdragon 6xx series, 128gb storage, 90hz screen, USB C, water repellent (whatever that means), 5000mah battery.

12. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I've already looked at JB and the usual suspects and know what they have, just wondering if any names I saw popped up in recommendations.

13. scruffy1

scruffy1 Member

i'm running an old nexus 5 on lineage, and want a recommendation for a similar sized phone that is on the official list
    https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/

ideally, i'd like a headphone jack (how old school) and i really like induction charging

what i don't want ? some huge arse phablet

the nexus 5 is perfect size - it's a phone, not a laptop substitute