1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile Phone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Matt P, Feb 16, 2007.

?

closed

Poll closed May 10, 2010.
  1. .

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. .

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. trevor68

trevor68 Member

2. sanjay

sanjay Member

The only androids with a camera comparable to the iPhone 13 are the pixel 6 pro and S21 ultra.

3. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Possibly (though doubtful), obviously I haven't tried them all to compare. There is a LOT more to a phone than just the camera though, at least for most people.

4. sanjay

sanjay Member

Of course. I'm no apple fan (look at my avatar lol). But the iPhone 13 Mini is the cheapest way into the best phone camera.

5. trevor68

trevor68 Member

sir_bazz likes this.
  6. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

So why is the S21 Ultra 13 places below the iPhone 13.

7. sanjay

sanjay Member

Because dxomark isn't the be all and end all. But I don't really care enough about this discussion to have arguments about that. Buy whatever you think is best for your overall needs

8. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Or enough to backup your baseless claims I guess.

9. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Gee someone's in a grouchy mood, so why the fuck did you even bother to reply to my question ?

Maybe you think that you know so much about phones that you just might be wrong, those stats have to mean something right, or those who make up that list don't have a clue.

Everyone ranted about how good the S20-FE camera was when it was released, giving people the misguided impression that it's camera is brilliant for the price it was (when new) when in fact that is not really true, but having recently bought one of these phones, for the $450 that i paid, the camera is good for that price point, so i would recommend one based on current pricing.

Unfortunately we can't get to test a camera when deciding to buy a phone, but i know enough to suggest that some cheaper budget phones probably have a better camera than more expensive models.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  10. sanjay

sanjay Member

youre accusing me of being in a grouchy mood and you respond with swearing, vitriol and pathetic ad hominem attacks?

look at head to head comparisons of phone cameras that are plastered all over youtube. Yes, there is a lot more to camera quality than just Dxomark. If you don't want to accept that, then you are wasting everyone's time.

11. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

I don't take too much notice of some of the crap posted in youtube, and where on earth did i swear at you ? oh wait, is the F-word still considered to be a swear word, my bad.

12. trevor68

trevor68 Member

sanjay your hilarious mate, let's make brash utterly bullshit claims, and then accuse others of wasting time. :lol:

I think I will just stick with DXO marks tried, proven and repeatable testing then your say so. :rolleyes:

13. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Maybe he knows something that we don't, i just don't get why he would post up that silly comment about the Pixel 6 Pro and the S21 Ultra and then react the way that he did by not caring about it, i have seen some youtubers claim that the Pixel 6 Pro camera is horrible, others claim otherwise, so i don't believe any of it.

With video cameras a few years ago i would always try to find actual footage shot with a particular camera to check it's true quality with my own eyes, and i never watch any of the shitty low bitrate crap that people upload to youtube to determine the video quality, if you do then you are not seeing the video as you should be.

We can't always get hold of real world photo samples from mobile phones, and those that i have found on the internet are more likely shot by people who know how to use a camera phone properly, and shoot the photos in manual mode, not in Auto mode like i do.

Case in point, i have seen some amazing photos shot on the S20-FE and put on various websites, yet whenever i take photos with mine, they don't come close to those, so these people are doing something, or using more advanced modes to get those shots.

14. Yushi7

Yushi7 Member

Hey OCAU was after some advice/recommendations on a new phone.

Ive got an iPhone XR which is starting to approach the end of its useful life (overheating, slow, battery life low) and I’m thinking it’s almost time to upgrade. Over the years I’ve slowly fallen into the Apple ecosystem and am pretty keen on clawing my way out, although a few people I’ve asked have told me to stay away from Androids (Pixel, Galaxy etc).

Was after some other opinions/perspectives on solid phones. I’m mostly concerned with UI, speed, battery life, frequency of updates and app functionality (not really fussed on cameras).

if you’ve got any recos I’d really appreciate, some pros and cons would be great too!

Cheers

15. power

power Member

OnePlus.

Kogan sell them, possibly others.

They make Android everything it can truly be.

Yushi7 likes this.
  16. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I recently made the move away from Android and into iPhones so opposite of you. Spent many years on Android (last iPhone was 3GS).

I still like Android phones however would strongly recommend against Samsung. THey've gone to absolute shit in their reliability and quality control imo. Had issues with both me and wife's phones. Wife now has a Pixel 6 Pro and honestly it seems pretty good.

I'm quite happy with the iPhone personally other than the odd WTF moment (i'm looking at you gallery and photos management)

Yushi7 likes this.
  17. doug81

doug81 Member

You mean they used to - might as well just buy an OPPO now. OnePlus cameras also tend to rank pretty lowly, although even an average phone these days takes good enough snaps - and OP did state they didn't care as much about the camera.

If the Asus Zenfone 8 supported VoLTE on AU networks that would be an easy recommend, but unfortunately I don't think it does so it kind of is only good if you don't make normal phone calls.

iPhone 13 Pro Max is a beast, but even the iPhone 13 mini isn't that bad if you're not a heavy user (~4.5 to 5hrs SOT from full charge). I'd probably just go for the iPhone 13 and be done with it - most developers unfortunately prioritise iOS apps over Android (understandably) and it's hard to beat Apple for updates and longevity of support.

For a low budget option, I'd look at importing a Realme GT Neo 2 5G - the Snapdragon 870 chip is pretty awesome and it's a decent phone for the price. Covers Band 28 for Telstra/Optus 4G+ as well (I'm not fussed about 5G personally, maybe after 2023 it's a necessity as the networks roll out further).

Yushi7 likes this.
  18. Sorak

Sorak Member

Hey guys,

I'm looking to 'upgrade' from my S8. The curved glass edge 'feature' is just painful on so many levels.

Does anyone recall there was an Aussie start up a few years back that made phones? I can't recall their name but they seem to have vanished from google.

also recommend a phone that doesn't cost a month salary; whose CPU can actually run the android OS without delay lag.

19. archie

archie Member

vanilla S21/S22 perhaps?
    What's the budget? monthly salaries are different for all ;)

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I don't mind the curved edges, they add a nice element of aesthetics to the overall appearance, but they can be annoying with screen protectors....that's my only gripe really.