1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile Phone Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Matt P, Feb 16, 2007.

?

closed

Poll closed May 10, 2010.
  1. .

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. .

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. gumdrops2006

gumdrops2006 Member

From reading the review, it seems to be a nice Android phone to buy if you are on a budget. The screen looks quite responsive and there is also a 1 year manufacturer's warranty if any goes wrong (You would have to pay the shipping costs though). :thumbup:

Also note that the TV is reported to not work so if you are after that feature I would suggest you buy something else.

2. vespas

vespas Member

i want to get a cheap dual sim smartphone, seem to have most features including gps so i might grab one rather than buy an expensive one. because they live in a pocket they dont last long.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  3. gumdrops2006

gumdrops2006 Member

Update us on how it turns out to be. I might get one as well as I'm kinda now merging into the Android mobile operating systems. ;)

4. schnappy

schnappy Member

Got my Defy today. Quite happy with it - only complaint is MotoBlur is shitty, and the wake and side buttons are not placed very well and are both fairly shit.

Otherwise it's all very good. From pics it looked a bit bulky, but it's a very nice size, I definitely wouldn't want one any smaller. CM7 is only a beta for the Defy... I want a stable phone, anyone got any reccomendations?

5. High-Fidelity

High-Fidelity Member

I'm using adlxmod on mine.

I find that it works quite well, especially when overclocked as well. I haven't bothered trying with CM7 yet... 2nd init is a bit of a hack, and there's trade offs with going to gingerbread because not all the drivers are 100% by the looks of things.

Froyo seems to be pretty stable, and I've had no issues. I use SetVSel for overclocking, as it gives pretty good control. My settings are 20@300, 40@600 and 62@1200. The first number is the voltage control and the second number is MHz. 20 and 40 are undervolts for 300 and 600. and 62 is a little higher than the default of 58. Default speed is 800 MHz though, so 62@1200 shouldn't present any problems. I get over 2 days of standby as well, so battery life is pretty good due to the undervolting.

I'm happy with the Defy, it's a nice little phone with more capability than I expected. The size is the real bonus I find, it fits really comfortably in my jeans pocket and it is so light compared to other phones out there. I have the same complaints about the volume and power buttons as you, they're awkward. The USB port on the side is also a little awkward, but I am used to it now.

6. schnappy

schnappy Member

Thanks, giving CM7 a miss until it's more final.

Flashing is a lot more complicated than I thought :S

Is there a fool proof way to make a complete backup of the phone? Thinkign warranty etc down the road...

Edit: had some issues. CM7 had best doco so I just wahcked it on. Working fine, will leave it till I come across any issues. But... No vibrate mode no by going volume down? Only silent? hmmm

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  7. gumdrops2006

gumdrops2006 Member

Would anyone recommend the HTC Wildfire? I've been hearing different reports about this device. How is the MP3 app on it? Is it like the iPod app on the iPhone? How much expandable memory can it take?

Thanks. :)

8. schnappy

schnappy Member

A blue 'stuck' pixel has just developed on my Defy. Is this covered under warranty? :(

9. GTR27

GTR27 Member

So I want a Samsung Galaxy S2. I will be using telstra as a network (smartphones seem pointless on all the other sucky networks).

My question is which is the best phone to get on a $59 plan, so I can sell it here on forums to pay most of the cost of my galaxy S2 from O/S?

Seems like iphones go for the most.....

10. RainbowsixAUS

RainbowsixAUS Member

New Mobile to purchase?

I have had a Iphone 3GS for the past eighteen months and would like to upgrade. I want something with similiar specs to a Iphone4 but i do not want a iphone. I want to try something new and exciting. Have been looking at the HTC range. HD recording is something i like to use also. My plan is nearly up with craptus so will be going to Telstra for coverage.

What do you guys recommend?

11. supernom

supernom Member

Any good phone suggestion?

Hi guys my phone is a Samsung D900i but it has a minor scratches on the screen and also doesn't work with Windows 7 ( to get photos etc off ), and has very poor reception at times when calling(cuts out, very choppy etc) so I am maybe looking to get a new phone.

I don't really know anything about phones.

Some criteria:
    Connects to Windows 7 to transfer photos
    NOT touch screen ( not a fan of touch screen )
    Has a qwerty keypad (not essential but would be cool )

Can anyone recommend a phone like this?

Thanks! :)

12. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

13. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

HTC Sensation or Samsung Galaxy S2. I just sold my 3GS and will be upgrading to the S2 soon.

14. shift6

shift6 Member

If you're ever so slightly open to a touch screen phone but also has a slide out QWERTY keyboard - HTC Desire Z/Motorola Milestone 2.

Otherwise Motorola Droid Pro perhaps?

15. gumdrops2006

gumdrops2006 Member

I moved from the iPhone 3GS to the HTC Desire, and I've got to admit it's a great phone. The screen is about the same size as the iPhone and it runs flawlessly with the Android mobile operating system. I would highly recommend it! :thumbup:

16. ck_psy

ck_psy Member

whats the cheapest reliable, dual sim phone?

ones that are non-touch (and also ones that are touch for comparison)

17. Thhhza

Thhhza Member

Hey guys, is the HTC Desire S the best Android out there for that price range? ~$500

18. sanjay

sanjay Member

i bought a 3 day old samsung galaxy S2 for $600 so id say if youre spending that much on a desire S you're basically getting ripped a new anus

19. Thhhza

Thhhza Member

Dunno, I've only looked at Mobicity, Desire S is $500, Galaxy SII is $829 :confused:

20. anark1

anark1 Member

going to be looking at getting a galaxy s2 as the tech looks way superior to my desire standard atm.

but my question is how is the samsung version of android differ to the vanilla android version or the htc version, ive never used a samsung android software, is it better/worse?