Mobos and CPUs for Linux use?

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by vladtepes, Mar 6, 2019.

1. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

PROBLEM SOLVED if using RTL8821CE use WIN10 because that is all the vendor supports!

2. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Except this is wrong. Realtek has contributed drivers for their hardware. They generally don't get mainlined as they're usually problematic for architectural reasons, license issues, stuff like that, but community developers often jump off from what's provided.

3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

So the vendor only interested in supporting WIN10, be no different if the driver only worked in IOS and not WIN10, MS wouldn't be held responsible to write the driver.

4. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Honestly, I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Realtek isn't a fantastic vendor for Linux compatible hardware, but they're no worse than average, really. If you want a really well supported chipset, my vote is for Atheros.

5. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

I'm mostly ath10k for wifi these days, intel cards are good but crippled in hostapd scenarios coz 1 radio and you can't freakin run a 5ghz AP, wtf?

6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

I want nothing more then for people to realise that Linux Kernel Comunity isn't responsible for drivers, they help the vendor but if the vendor is not forthright in providing information then the device/chipset might not work which isn't a blight on Linux, but the vendor.

I also need no help in using Linux and generally will help people provided they aren't expecting Windows, because if they are then for the love of god save us all the frustration and go back to Windows.

7. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's difficult, but not needing to install third party repos to get full hardware features for your device reduces the learning curve for new users. OpenGL from the open source RadeonSI driver is already better than Nvidia. Nvidia does still lead in Vulkan performance though. AMD cards are definitely viable contenders in Linux now, unlike 3 or more years ago when Nvidia was the only choice if you wanted to game.

8. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

I hear this argument all the time and it boggles my brain.

Installing software under Ubuntu using apt is really no different to the same process under Windows, the only difference is you add a signed repository first which is the repository containing the nessecary software.

Essentially it's improving on the installation process of Windows.

9. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

Who mentioned Windows? I never said it was any harder than Windows, just that it's harder than not having to do it at all.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  10. zeggie

zeggie Member

No idea what you are smoking. You asked "I would find it hard to believe a mass produced chipset from the past 5 years not having Linux drivers." I just gave you one clear example. What is your argument again?

11. shredder

shredder Member

So, we found one. Not overly surprising.

Are there many more, able to be easily specified? Or are we in "exception that proves the rule" sort of territory?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  12. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

It has drivers via DKMS install or via package, take your pick. Lack of availability in Debian, for example, is mostly because of license incompatibility which prevents it from being bundled.

13. flu!d

I think they're reverse engineered Windows drivers. You'll get the adapter working....Just.

14. flu!d

If you're running an LTS release, having the drivers bundled with the kernel is far from ideal.

Believe it or not, FOSS ideology aside, there is actually a benifit to binary blobs installed via a newer and better PPA method as opposed to the old .run method.

15. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

So some random persons PPA is better than manually fetching the files, checksumming and coping to /lib/firmware/blah?

16. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/rtl8821ce-software
    AGAIN... VENDOR only supports WINDOWS this is not a Linux issue, ask the vendor to provide driver support for Linux and other operating systems. What are you smoking that you can't grasp the issue is with the vendor?

PS - rtl18821ce is minor release from rtl8821ae which was released in 2013 so is not a 5 year old chipset.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  17. zeggie

zeggie Member

Ah, so your argument has backtracked to a 1 year technically for your argument.

Not sure why I bother.

I stand by laptop wifi can be an issue new users face. Considering the chipset I have is in various 2017/2018 model Lenovo's and HPs - I'm not sure what your actual argument is trying to prove .

18. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

This is a non issue. I've already pointed you towards the solution. If you want Wifi, install the proper driver and move on.
    https://github.com/tomaspinho/rtl8821ce

19. flu!d

If you're gonna download from tomzleetwarezPPA, you may have issues. The Launchpad Nvidia PPA is far from compromised.

I've yet to come across tomzleetwarezPPA. Bear in mind the AUR is effectively a non curated 'user repository', even compiling from source isn't 100% secure if the source code for just one of the many packages/libraries has been compromised - No one's going to be able to inspect all that code before installing and checksums can be exploited depending on the checksum used, not that anyone verifies checksum's anyway - Hence the Linux Mint hack in 2016.

Nothing's perfect, everything has it's pro's and con's. But literally everything's better than the Windows .msi method of software installation and Nvidia's .run method of installation is pretty much guaranteed to end in tears the way it overwrites everything.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  20. flu!d

It proves that, just like the numerous items of hardware not compatible with Windows 10, the issue lies with the hardware vendor and their inability to support the OS in question in any way whatsoever - As opposed to Linux in general or any of the many Linux devs. Not an overly difficult concept to grasp.