Mobos and CPUs for Linux use?

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by vladtepes, Mar 6, 2019.

1. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Can I buy the laptop with Linux pre-intalled? NO. So the VENDORs Lenovo and HP don't want to support Linux for this hardware. EDIT which is a good indicator of the cheap chipset being shit because both Lenovo and HP support Linux on lots of things.

FFS there are more WiFi chipsets that do work vs a few DUMB chipsets that don't even work that well on the supported platform WIN10.

2. zeggie

zeggie Member

That doesn't make it sound any easier for new users, literally the basis of my first 2 posts.

Care to share a list of supported wifi chipsets for OP? Literally also the basis of their thread.

vladtepes likes this.
  3. zeggie

zeggie Member

How's your comprehension? I literally said in my first post "Took me about 2 hours but managed to get my new laptop wifi working thanks to some awesome bloke who coded a driver on Github."

This is out of the realm of new linux users, which others argued otherwise, and have now backtracked saying rah rah Vendor, rah rah use Windows 10. It also isn't the "proper" driver.

Out.

4. shredder

shredder Member

The takeaway is that one should always check hardware compatibility for any OS (preferably before purchase or implementation).

vladtepes likes this.
  5. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

The advice for wifi chipsets hasnt changed in a decade. Get atheros, or get intel.

vladtepes likes this.
  6. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

It's a reverse engineered Windows driver and nowhere as good as a driver coded by the open source community with actual support from the hardware vendor.

This is the point you keep missing, any form of Linux support from Realtek is totally and utterly non existent. Without any documentation or support from the hardware vendor it's almost impossible to create an effective driver.

Nouveau is the perfect example of this.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  7. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Precisely and exactly why I started this thread. :D

zeggie and shredder like this.
  8. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

I'm not entirely sure what took you two hours. DKMS installs are generally quite easy.

Absolutely. The best option is if the driver can be licensed in a way that allows inclusion in the kernel tree and is compliant with licensing policies for downstream distributions. Like with Broadcom, these drivers from Realtek sit somewhere between good drivers like the ath5/ath9/ath10 series from Atheros and being stuck with NDISwrapper as in the old days.

9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

The basis of my first reply to you was that any new modern chipset created in the last 5 years and not extending on a previously poor supported chipset has been supported, you are yet to provide the 100s of chipsets you where talking about, just one that is based on a older than 5 year chipset. As for being easy for new users, that is subjective, just because you find it hard to follow instructions that others would take 15mins doesn't mean the whole Linux ecosystem is flawed, and I would bet any new user would have the same dificulties installing drivers with OSX or Windows because they come preinstalled don't need to contend with this issue, so if the new user expects the same experience then they should buy a pre-install device like they have done previously, OR start learning rather then bitching.

10. zeggie

zeggie Member

Care to share a list of supported wifi chipsets for OP?

11. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

ac7260 is my pick for cheap/reliable/supported, can be had for $20 on aliexpress, buy a mini pci to pcie wifi adapter if you wanna use it in a desktop scenario

even has a BT radio if you're that way inclined

vladtepes likes this.
  12. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

My Dell workstation uses Broadcom networking chipsets, absoultely faultless.

Unlike Realtek.

13. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

There's still some broadcom cards that use the wl driver which is not in kernel, I give them a wide berth

14. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Their gblan adapters are decent, but I found chipsets using the brcmsmac driver to be quite glitchy. Maybe I'm the only one...

Focus on Atheros, Intel, and Ralink (now Mediatek).

15. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Mine's GB LAN, using the tg3 driver. Never missed a beat.

However, I use Broadcom on this device as that's what the device came equipped with. If I had to purchase a networking adapter it would be Intel, Atheros or Ralink all the way.

16. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Intel anything.