Model - Louise

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by dwpolette, Jun 20, 2011.

1. dwpolette

dwpolette Member

This was our first shoot together, good opportunity to meet each other and try a couple of simple portraits.

1. Lit with 430EXII @ 1/2 power reflected into umbrella left of subject. 1 540EZ through diffusion panel on axis as fill.
    [​IMG]
    IMG_2785 by Dave Polette Photography, on Flickr

2.Lit with 430EXII @ 1/2 power reflected into umbrella left of subject
    [​IMG]
    IMG_2842 by Dave Polette Photography, on Flickr

3.Lit with 430EXII @ 1/2 power reflected into umbrella left of subject (Tried B&W to see how it looked)
    [​IMG]
    IMG_2840 by Dave Polette Photography, on Flickr

C&C Welcome.

Sorry there are no set-up shots, all 3 taken in my house using a bluey-green wall and a white wall.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

I like the second shot.. Im no expert, but maybe if you turn her head a little more towards camera you won't get so much of the whites of her eyes..

also looks a little bit messy with the halo on her hair in the second shot too... some rough masking?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  3. OP
    OP
    dwpolette

dwpolette Member

Agree about the whites, only had one light and no fill, didn't want it too contrasty hence turned into light.

Not sure what the halo is, didn't notice it till you mentioned it. Did slight dodge on hair maybe went outside slightly?

Thanks for the comments every bit helps.

Another shot, Warmer tones.

[​IMG]
    IMG_2775 by Dave Polette Photography, on Flickr

4. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

Nice Dave...

Maybe clone out that errant hair strand on her collarbone.

5. aaronv2

aaronv2 Member

these are really great. you got a solid magazine look going however i really don't like on axis fill it takes all the definition away. a better way to get this look while still maintaining definition in the face is to use some clamshell lighting.

Otherwise to get some better lighting if you only have one speedlight is to place to subject next to a window which can essentially act like a HUGE softbox of ambient light that you can sculpt with shutter speed and then use your one speedlight as either some fill that would be half to a full stop lower than the avaliable light. The cool thing is you can control each "light" by either changing the shutter to control the window "softbox" or change the aperture to control the speedlite exposure.

Another option for something VERY cool and dramatic is to still use the large window which by the way casts no shadows which is very useful. And then use the speedlite as a rim light or seperation light from the background. A black piece of paper can even be used to create a snoot if you want to create a nice spot of light behind your subjects head.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  6. OP
    OP
    dwpolette

dwpolette Member

I am aware of the other options. I'm pretty happy with the lighting over all, the addition of a hair light might have been the only thing I would have changed.

I didn't want these shots too contrasty, I feel there is enough definition in her left cheek to give dimension.

I did take other photos without the fill, but in the end I was happier with it.
    If I had a boom, I probably would have setup a proper clam shell setup.

Appreciate the comments.

7. Loadingdread

Loadingdread Member

Pics look pretty good. Im not too sure about the first one, but the rest are good.:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2011
  8. wvxman

wvxman Member

I think the 2nd is the best of the set by quite a good margin. The lighting is good, her hair isn't flying everywhere, the proportions are good, and it oozes a sense of natural beauty (partly lighting, partly the model).

In pics 1 and 4 her posture lapses, and in pics 1 and 3 her hair goes a bit crazy. If she was naked (waist up), maybe she wasn't comfortable?

If you get another chance to work with this model, maybe try fully clothed sets?

It's nice to see a model every once in a while that isn't skin and bones. :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  9. OP
    OP
    dwpolette

dwpolette Member

She wasn't naked (boob tube top). There was definitely too much time wasted trying to blow the hair around, I missed some really good poses with hair covering parts of her face.
    Already planning next shoot with her, much more going into the next one, this was more of a test and get to know each other than anything.
    The next shoot will have a clear goal.

Some good points, thanks for your comments.