[PROJECT] Model Railway Project (OO scale, DCC, 6m x 1.8m)

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Rainey, Feb 9, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Rainey

Rainey Member

EDIT (09/02/2014): Project has changed significantly since this original post... will do a catch up here eventually, otherwise click to page 9 to skip the planning/discussion phase.

The time has come to make my own thread dedicated to my project (rather than hijacking Texiun's fantastic project)

I am currently building a compact model railway in my garage for the entertainment of myself and my young daughter. The plan is for a loosely British themed fictional layout with a 3rd radius outer loop, a 2nd radius inner loop, a shunting yard, a main yard, and a couple of stations. There will be a mountain section in the corner of the design with a hatch under the baseboard for retrieving stalled locomotives. Ideally I would also like to have overhead lines (cosmetic only..) and use a pantograph on my trains that used them in real life. I will use a DCC power bus underneath the baseboard to feed power to the track, I will be soldering my droppers to the rails and punching through the baseboard, same for point motors.

The inner loop will have an elevation, designed with the intention of running counter clockwise the incline will be 2.9% and the decline will be 3.1%, this loop crosses over itself at its highest point of 10cm's. I am hoping to be able to run a British Rail Class 87 with some carriages.
    The outer loop is flat and has gentle curves, designed for a high speed passenger train like the Inter-City 125 or a Pendolino of some sort.

[​IMG]

At the beginning of this project (ie. now), I have VERY little knowledge on model railways, train history, trains in general. When I was younger I was given a small LIMA loop track with a Santa Fe, later I was given a handful of locomotives owned by my grandfather (or given to him and passed on), I've never had a permanent layout, and haven't touched these trains since I was approx 12yo (now 30). Building a permanent layout has been one of those things I've always wanted to have a go at, and now I have a young daughter who I think will get a kick out of watching the trains going around.

[​IMG]

At this stage I have done some extensive research on the internet. I was given a Hornby Mixed Freight DCC set at Christmas, so over the new year break I set about building a suitable baseboard with sufficient space to fulfill my requirements. This part was not very calculated. I asked a few questions in this forum, and went off to Bunnings for some timber to slap together some benches:

The Baseboard

Design:
    [​IMG]

Progress:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Completed:

[​IMG]

The Layout

After doing some reading on some modelling forums I came to the conclusion that I should purchase a license for an application called AnyRail which was to assist me in placing track pieces to construct my layout. I've spent approximately 6 or more hours making changes from my original design (now at version 16!) and with some brilliant advice from forum member AkiBro who was kind enough to take my original .any file and point me in the right direction (over several days) regarding track points and gradients. I have now settled on a final design, more or less. To be fair to Al (AkiBro), most of this layout is his brains, and it is interesting to see how it evolved from my original file, which would have been closer to a rollercoaster than a railway, haha! I've since tweaked some more, rebuilt the yard, adjusted my elevations, and defined the mountain in more detail.

The track is to be built using a combination of Peco Streamline code 100 Insulfrog points (SL95/96 and SL91/92), but might swap to Electrofrog after some more research, with Hornby and Peco set track pieces for the rest (not confident with cutting/bending/joining flex yet!). So here's what I (we/AkiBro) have at this stage:

[​IMG]

Finally, experimenting with points and some of my materials to start out:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  2. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Keep the updates coming!

Decided to drop in on the local model railway club this afternoon. It doesn't look like it exists any more :(

3. thedrover

thedrover Member

Brings back memories of my early teenage years building two separate layouts.

Will be following this thread!

4. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

I have a small update coming! Today I've been building a small Train 'training' table for my daughter. Will be using the TrakMat on this, and my old DC set running a plain loop. Nothing spectacular, but it will give my daughter some time to learn how to control the trains, and also some enjoyment in the short term. :D

5. broox

broox Member

Hey Rainey,

I'd add an engine escape into the yard.

[​IMG]

So if a full consist enters the yard head first on the longest track, you disconnect the engine, drive it in the blue bit then reverse down the black bit.

Saves you reversing a whole consist around the layout just to get it into the yard!

6. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

Broox, thanks mate! Perfect advice, I will add your suggestion. :thumbup:

See these are the things I simply don't know. :o

7. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

Right, so here's today's update. The start of my daughters own DC set, so that she can understand how to run the trains before she uses 'our' layout. I built the table this afternoon, pretty happy with how it turned out. It is the exact dimensions of the Hornby TrakMat which I will staple onto it tomorrow. Eventually I may scrap her set and use the table to extend the main layout.

1.) Cut some lengths of timber, assemble as desired. Using old PC's as weights. :D

[​IMG]

2.) Result, a solid table waiting for screws.

[​IMG]

3.) After 20 years my old DC set still runs! :cool:

[​IMG]

8. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

Roughly stapled the trakmat down this morning. My little girl has been playing with it all day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have just started laying my template over my baseboard of the main layout. This will help me cut my elevations and give me an idea of the dimensions and space between track.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  9. broox

broox Member

do you have a way to reverse the direction of a train, ie a reverse loop?

i didnt look too hard at the plan, but if you dont have reverse loop, i'd add one (or 2) with dcc its easy to add the extra wiring

10. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

Broox (and others), which do you prefer for the escape?

Option #1 (zig-zag)

[​IMG]

Option #2 (straight out)

[​IMG]

I have to do some research on what a reverse loop is. I don't think I have one. If its just the ability to enter the yard from either direction, then it is something I considered, but couldn't fit in. If its a point junction which sends the train back in the other direction, no I've not considered that.

EDIT: Final update for the day... maybe. :p Slow and probably boring progress for you guys but I got my template joined and its really satisfying to see the computer generated layout translate perfectly to my baseboard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next step is to cutout my elevated track and trace it onto my ply.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  11. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Zig-zag would allow for longer trains to be managed, yes?

12. broox

broox Member

zig zag for longer trains on the actual layout. straight through if you want to spot an extra car or 2 in the yard rather than on the active consist.

Remember, if a yard is 50% full, its 100% full.

13. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

Think I might go the zig zag option then!

Been playing with SCARM for the first time today. Ahh every aspect of the planning phase is difficult. :o

Rough elevations...

[​IMG]

14. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

Over the last couple of nights I've been having second thoughts about my 'roundy' layout. I have the space at the front of my table to add a longer run which could enclose the operators position. This would allow me to have a less condensed run into the main section less hampered by sharp curves and more space for a typical station platform and yard.

I'm worried about the build getting too complex though, but ultimately I think I would have 3 loops (two adjacent and one that goes into the mountain etc.).

15. texiun

texiun Member

Hmmmm.....The more and more i see your table design...and see how mobile it is....I honestly think i am going to start over ....as my tables/desks I have my MDF on is just hopeless... with certain area's with tilts on it....Hmmm Will start getting the stuff ready soon

16. WRC

WRC Member

I really shouldn't have let my 4 year old see this thread. He see's Rainey's layout and it's "I want to buy one of those"...

Little does he know I have a set hidden away on the top of one of the cupboards in the house. Just need to wait for his 2 year old sister to get a bit older before I put it together.

17. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Looks good to me.
    What do you mean about "less roundy" do you have a sketch/design idea?

18. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

Hehehe! Yeah my little girl is a bit rough on the old DC set but she's figuring it out quickly enough. She's only 2 but can play iRacing and drive trains... I'm a bad influence. :lol:
    Here's a video my wife made before I stapled down the TrakMat.

I'll whip up a concept later tonight when my ladies are asleep. Basically a rectangle design which has a split level plywood base 10cm's above my current baseboard, so the track can run a wider perimeter, and also traverse to the lower level (baseboard). So the layout looks more like a railway system than a racetrack... as an analogy.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  19. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

Kodi, was good chatting with you last night.

I ended up purchasing the Aussie Scenics static grass applicator and some 3mm and 6mm grass blends. That will be interesting to have a play with! Didn't get far with any replanning of my layout yet, but have been doing a bit more research into themes.

I'm going to have to adjust my thread title, because I think this is going to become a 8m x 1.8m. Need to measure the space but I'm having a rethink so that I can have some longer runs and full length stations. Not happy with the looping design anymore. I've done too much reading on the subject and feel I wont be satisfied with a short and curvy layout. Stay tuned for the next design!

Will need to fab some new tables... sigh... I really wanna get cracking! Also, coming round to the idea of using flex, I think I will use it in the end, seems to be the only way to get some realistic lines down.

Aiming for two double lines allowing for 4 trains running at once.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  20. texiun

texiun Member

Not A worry chief!

Do tell me how much was it for your static Grass applicator? As ive noticed some to be extremely expensive!

Yes the more and more we talked about it the more it got me thinking how i would like to redo my layout in ways, Major thing is add some elevation..I struggle though because I dont know anything about woodwork and i notice most layouts use a jigsawed inclines...Hmmm Only time will tell! Plus i can redo my layout