[PROJECT] Model Railway Project (OO scale, DCC, 6m x 1.8m)

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Rainey, Feb 9, 2013.

Tags:
  1. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

Yeah I've got plenty of space in the garage, basically the entire surface area of our house (living space is upstairs), room for 4 cars, 1 motorbike, plus train table and storage, hehehe! It's a mess at the moment though. I could extend the layout in future but I do not want to build any of it below our plumbing (naturally).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  2. newtosystems

newtosystems Member

i was wondering how big your garage was. so many projects i would be onto with that much space.

3. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

Latest acquisitions... Have still been soldering the track and running trains. So far the running has been very satisfactory, especially with the Bachmann trains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

I connected my Digitrax Super Chief Xtra on the weekend. So far I love it, its pretty easy to use and the build quality is excellent. Miles better than the Hornby Select I have been using.

I made a video about the controller yesterday. I thought I'd try my hand at narrating (talking to myself) like those popular bloggers do, but I'm sure I forgot to mention a bunch of stuff and its full of lots of umms and ahhs. Hopefully someone finds it interesting. It includes some new shots of trains moving around my layout. :thumbup:

5. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

Damnit, Rainey, why have I only *just* found this thread?!

Suddenly my grand plan of building benches for my garage is evolving somewhat... :thumbup:

6. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

I was wondering myself! When you asked some questions on YouTube, and I couldn't respond (my account wasn't linked to G+ at that stage, I've since succumbed to the hand of god, uh Google). Now you've found me, and you know the reason why I'm never on iRacing anymore! :lol:

7. AkiBro

AkiBro Member

Oooh, aah. How is the building going?

8. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

I haven't done anything very exciting for a few weeks now. I did buy the Metcalfe double track brick viaduct and nearly finished building it last night. Only problem is that I'm having second thoughts about using a brick viaduct and thinking stone would look better... I made a spot specifically for the length of the Metcalfe viaduct (to go over a river) and it looks like it will fit pretty well!

Apart from that, uhhh I've started making a test board using some Peco track pieces obtained for a few bucks at a garage sale (1970's but still nickel silver). Just getting it to a stage where I can practice scenery/ballasting.

Oh and I also bought an airbrush and 8L tank air compressor to muck around with, but need to buy another fitting for the regulator/water trap before I can use it for painting.

I need to get cracking with my inclines so I can finish tracklaying!

9. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

Less postin' more sawin' :thumbup:

Looking forward to it!

10. texiun

texiun Member

Time to finish up with the Iracing Rainey, Back to Models!

11. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

Haha, I know I know! All in good time! The railway isn't going anywhere. I'll be back onto it 'soon'!!

12. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

"Why not have both?" :D

At least if you're not building your layout your time is being spent training in iRacing. :thumbup:

13. AkiBro

AkiBro Member

Show us some progress!!

14. Charles and Dad

Charles and Dad New Member

Thanks

Hi Rainey, please keep us updated with you progress. It is a very interesting topic. I have just bought the Mixed Freight set for my 9 year old and don't know much about model trains. This thread is very helpful. Thanks and keep posting!
    Richard and Charles from N.W. Tasmania

15. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

Rainey! How's things? Any more shots of your railway?

Rainey likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

Shots of my latest acquisition incoming!

EDIT: So I was killing time and stepped into my LHS only to find something extraordinary.. The current (but now discontinued) generation of DCC Ready Hornby Class 43 HST in the Intercity Executive livery... on the shelf... with a full rake of carriages. This is something that is hard to find, worldwide, used or brand new, you just don't see them anymore - not in the Intercity livery. Despite this, it didn't have an exorbitant price tag either, I'd have expected a hike of >$1k but I picked it up as a complete set for a shade over $500.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The progress continues on the railway itself, but at a very slow pace. This could be a lifelong hobby, haha!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  17. jimbow

jimbow Member

Awesome find Rainey, looks like a gorgeous set! Thanks for the grin seeing a "Thread updated" email :thumbup::thumbup:

18. pelmen

pelmen Member

Finally got around to going through this thread. I caved in 2 months ago to getting my first train set (yes its just a set still) to start my train addiction. Got grand plans for it. It'll be N scale, DCC I hope, pretty much Kato and my layout theme will be Japan. Series 500 Shinkansen so far, going to have a lightrail city area, steam tourist run and freight and passenger runs too hopefully. In a shelf based layout. All on a budget of less than nothing :) failing so far.Right now its just an oval of course and on switch, and I'm sidetracking on experimenting ways to incorporate 3D printing and arduino into this journey. If I win powerball I have roof space that can be converted to a room and make a better layout up there and part observatory too. Long way down the track though if i get that far.

For now I'm just sucking up information everywhere so i'll probably lurk here, it'll be ages before I can offer anything to others here.

19. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

Sounds awesome Pelmen. To me a good railway is a long term hobby. Don't feel like you need to rush it, just take good care of your hardware if storing it long term. Would love to see some progress shots of your project when you get stuck in. :)

20. pelmen

pelmen Member

thanks, I've got some pics for myself, I have blogging available on my squarespace site was thinking of documenting my progress, thoughts and changes as i go.

Looking after my gear is always paramount though most people freak to see how crowded my place is. Fine line between hoarder and collector?
    I bought a random bunch of used trains for something to learn maintenance on so i dont risk the new ones i buy. Also good for modding/painting practice. Also got some Kato car case things looks like books and will store nice on a shelf I'm going to be using these for the second hand trains i get, clean, restore, fix etc. Got two locos nonrunning to get into when i free some space on my hobby desk and see if I can get them running again, I'll probably get more enjoyment from this than running them afterwards :)

Click to view full size!

Here's my initial running oval, Kato M2 track set and Kato Nozomi Shinkansen parked up the back. On a sheet of cardboard on a found coffee table. Simple and boring but I won't embarassed at my humble beginnings in trains. No idea where it'll end up, but I'll enjoy the trip to find out.

3D printed: Rear left is Mt Fuji, rear right a surfaced submarine and right side a tunnel segment with cable holder on top to allow cable run over track. All just stand ins for me to try ideas. Above this I intended to install my own shelving, two levels at this side of room with upper shelf running 5 or 6 m to other end which will be the basis for me to build shelf layout modules for. The lower shelf can be just a shelf for train stuff and electricals probably unless i decide i want to run trains between layers. But other end of room I could put side part for giant L shape and add helix down there. all down the line though.

For now I've decided to go with a 240 to 110 VAC step down transformer with an international powerboard tower (on its side in photo as i have epoxied a powerpack to it so its on its side to cure fully). This way anything I buy I dont need to worry about power plugs or voltages. I can just set up and go as I learn. I do have a 240V socket too under the coffee table if i need. With only one working arm I'm not trying to cut up power pack cables , find local equivalents and soldering plugs etc. Also if anything arrives non working its all good to be sent back for replacing. And as I learn and figure out and buy what I think i need/want and play with things a bit so i can make better decisions as i progress to a more permanent layout.

Rainey likes this.