[PROJECT] Model Railway Project (OO scale, DCC, 6m x 1.8m)

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Rainey, Feb 9, 2013.

Tags:
  1. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

Boring update here but I've ordered the two DCC decoders for my Class 43 HST (R3271). Just the cheapie Hornby R8249 which is an 8-Pin, 3 function. But! In my research I've discovered that Hornby are releasing a series of TTS (Sound) decoders for a bunch of DCC Ready trains later in the year. They have a Class 43 twin pack coming out which adds all the authentic sounds to the power and dummy car, along with the basic DCC control and accessory features.
    https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/p...twin-pack-tts-sound-decoder-class-43-mtu.html

2. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

Been running my good locos around the freshly cleaned layout the past week or so. Have acquired the BR Blue Intercity HST's (R3271 and R3403) with full rake of coaches. Also running my trusty Bachmann Class 85, and the not so trusty Hornby DCC Fitted set locos.

I want to put up a better video but for now, enjoy some basic running! :)

CQGLHyperion and JidaiGeki like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

Another update! So I bought the Anniversary Edition HST in Intercity 125 BR Blue to go alongside the Intercity 125 Executive but hadn't really shown it in any pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I've also begun laying some more trackbed cork and obtaining the last turnouts needed to complete my track laying. You can see the beginnings of the diesel maintenance shed and yard coming together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  4. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

More progress (sorry I'm talking to myself).

Last night I boxed in a small 600x600 flyover bench section for the other incline, screwed and glued. I got far enough that I've also glued down the foam risers in place. Next step is to use plaster cloth to seal the top of the foam risers ready for the trackbed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RyoSaeba likes this.
  5. redav

redav Member

No you're not :leet:

Rainey likes this.
  6. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I love large scale models. If only I have the space I'd love to do massive builds like this. :thumbup: Can't wait to see finish result mate.

Rainey likes this.
  7. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Such an awesome thread.. its been a good worklog I am glad I didnt start reading it years ago though and that I have no space otherwise id be trying to build a set of my own! Coming together nicely :)

8. Juggs

Juggs Member

are there many train enthusiasts here?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  9. pelmen

pelmen Member

Sorry to be ignorant, but the UK are using the XPT as regular passenger trains? or more like we're using their suburban passenger trains as our high speed rail?

10. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Intercity trains were express specials as well over in the UK. I grew up in a small village outside London, and used to watch the trains on the Cambridge line from time to time, they were rarer to see. Usually passenger trains were more boxy single deckers. When I arrived in NSW I was surprised to see the XPTs, carbon copies of the 125! Still have my Hornby Intercity 125 box set from the 80s and it works fine.

11. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

The old Lima branded XPT Class 43's go for a packet on Ebay. For some reason I'm more drawn to the British Rail diesel era despite not really having any emotional connection to it.

Progress continues on the layout. Still trying to bash out the benchwork for the incline branchline.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've picked up a couple more DCC Ready locos recently. A Bachmann Class 350 EMU in London Midland livery, and I bought the modern Hornby Virgin Class 43 HST with TTS Sound Decoder Fitted.

12. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Rainey likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

I bought a static grass applicator way back at the beginning of this project, though it looks super easy to make your own! And Luke Towan is practically a god to me... Obsessed with his videos, and cannot wait to get into the detailing of the layout.

14. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Can't wait to see the landscaping phase. FYI if you want any custom trees or tree armatures send my a PM. I make custom trees for wargaming and train enthusiasts. I can highly recommend buying some leaf punches if you plan on making a lot of "leafy" trees as well. Also checkout Heki, a lot of their products are far better and cheaper than WS.

Rainey and Kommandant33 like this.
  15. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

I am waiting patiently for some new content :D

I am thinking about making a small N scale layout in the new year - but I need to do some more work on my slot car track, first.

16. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

Well my collection of loco's has exploded lately. I've been really really naughty. I haven't touched the layout at all since I went on vacation to the USA for a while and when I came back my layout is.. umm covered in all my trains on display, so congested that I don't have a clear path for running, lol.

17. redav

redav Member

You're gonna need a bigger track!

Rainey likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    Rainey

Rainey Member

Uhh you might not be far off... send help!

[​IMG]

Walshy and Kommandant33 like this.
  19. redav

redav Member

I see what you mean. A good problem to have :lol:

20. Darmok

Darmok Member

Have sporadically read this thread over the years...

I dropped to my Dad's the other week, and took a bunch of fresh photos of his layout, you might be interested in!

Firstly.. here's what it looked like 7 years ago
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/model-trains.869697/page-3#post-13567962

Now.. what you see this photo:

Click to view full size!

is the same room/orientation as this one:
    2018layout.JPG

funny.. I mentioned 7 years ago, he scrapped, and rebuilt everything.. well a few years later, he did it again.. so it's at least his 7th rebuild! (probably the 4th one for this particular shed/garage!)

Full album of pics taken last week
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/sAFoDnSF9ftC6aKE7

He's been putting a lot of detail in the scenery over the last year or so, and of course, always adding to the electrics of the layout... all points are motorised... most lights and signals work

and it's in a constant state of change... he was taking out one of the houses, and adding in a new ambulance station!

Couple of videos:

(the loco stalls on a bit of dirty track!!)

and an overview of the whole thing

Rainey, Kommandant33 and CQGLHyperion like this.