Model trains

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Reanimated35, May 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Reanimated35

Reanimated35 Member

how much for a decent size setup? say 5m of track to be laid on a table. also how to do hills? is there special track?

2. Lespom

Lespom Member

3. TMM

TMM Member

Blocks of wood every 10cm like you would the pillars on a bridge. http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/09/08/rgn_carfree_bridge_wideweb__470x294,0.jpg

The track is flexible but obviously you have to keep it reasonable. HO scale over 3 meters the steepest you'd want to go is up about 10cm then down again.

As for the price i guess the best response is "if you have to ask...".

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  4. Pugs

Pugs Member

hills are generally wire mesh / papar mache or what ever the new fangled stuff is.

any modlers out there my family has some old gear that hasn't been used in like 20+ years would it be worth anything if it is still in "good" condition, some loco's, rolling stock plus track and power gear..???

5. OP
    OP
    Reanimated35

Reanimated35 Member

I think dad has some really old say 50-70yr old HO gauge train and we just need new track for it.

Is there a cheap yet decent brand of track? Keep in mind this isn't needing to be display quality stuff, just something that the trains can run on, on a table in my garage

6. round

round (Banned or Deleted)

i seen a guy on tv making a scene, and made the terrain out of a big foam block.(the type of stuff that protects tv's and monitors in the box) just a real big cube.

7. Pugs

Pugs Member

hence the "modern stuff" I havn't played trains in donkeys...

8. japes

japes Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2010
  9. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

10. cpl punish

cpl punish Member

11. frostee

frostee Member

Very expensive. I have a table set up with 2m by 1.5m and it has cost me a bloody fortune and I haven't even touched it in a year. Probably $1500 worth of Hornby OO guage stuff there

12. DaCrusader

DaCrusader Member

This is multipul updates from the GamesOnNet forums.

A little backround: So! Basically over the last 20 years my dad has been a bit Train crazy. He had hoped to build his own train layout, but over time as he got busier, it just wasn't possible. But he didn't stop collecting trains. He has every Marklin Museum model from 1987 onwards.

A Brewery that my Dad built back in the day:
    [​IMG]

All the track/wagon's/engines that he owns.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that's just some of it.

So... He saw the new Marklin Central Station 2 on the Marklin website. And he liked it. So he ordered one from Europe.
    Marklin Central Station V2
    [​IMG]

The amazing thing is this thing runs an Intel processor, with CentOS 2.6 on it (Linux). It is self upgradable and controllable via a PC. Full touch screen interface, and the screen is beautiful. For a full list of tech specs link Here

Used layout we bought for $220~
    [​IMG]

This is a Noch Layout, usually sells for $1000 USD new, Dad saw this on ebay a few weeks back and couldn't resist... So we went and picked it up. It's got a little bit of superficial damage, like trackpins etc, all easy stuff to fix really.

[​IMG]

Hopefully it will look -something- like that in the future.

[​IMG]

That is the layout track plan, for H0 Marklin C track. There is a lot of track there.

New track for the layout! As well as an new wagon with (metal) helicopter on it.
    [​IMG]

Some videos of the Central Station 2

Sorry about the povo quality.

Progress!

Dad had a day off, so we set off working on this, fixing the (minor) cracking on the layout and started fixing the bridge. Then laying track and then doing the digital decoders on the turnouts... Which took too long... (discussed in problems!)

Time for some pictures of progress!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Problems!

Backround: A decoder's job is to grab the digital information being sent to it via and address from the Central Station on the track and switch the turnout, so it will either being straight ahead, or curved.

So, one of the digital decoders (About $50 each) decided to burn out, No idea why, guess it must have been faulty.

Then after that we had an issue where only 2 of the turnouts would work, after half an hour of stuffing around, checking pins, restarting the system somewhat 5 times. Turns out that the power connectors for retro fitting the turnout motors with the digital decoders have to be connected to a certain power connector, Being that the trains run on an AC circuit this should not matter, for some reason the decoders would not work the other way. The first decoder had nothing to do with this problem however.

Track sizing problems! On one of the unseen bits, the track hangs over the edge by around 1cm, the track is yet to be pinned down! (using special screws called track pins) Using the pins we hope to make the track move into the right position.

Stay tuned for more!

13. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

Very cool, keep it coming :thumbup:

14. Pugs

Pugs Member

nice set up..wish ours had been that nice..

we just had a flat track.. with a paper mache mountian that got eaten by silverfish...

just wish i had the space for our set up... and i wish i knew what condition it was all in....

15. h45e

h45e Member

I wish I had the $$$ to buy this stuff. All of my $$$ is going into the morgage and general living expenses.

16. a777

a777 Member

Awesome stuff! :D

My Dad had a huge Marklin setup in the double garage when I was a young lad. Marklin make really nice gear. Layout was all custom built but I remember watching and playing with them for hours. :) He still has most of his train gear but they haven't been setup for years. :(

Look forward to seeing your updates. :cool:

17. craftsmaster

craftsmaster New Member

Truck Cam

Hello, I'm new here but not to the actual model train talk. I was so amazed by the lay out. I love it! That was huge model train set. Do you have an idea how long it takes to complete the whole craft?

Cheers

18. craftsmaster

craftsmaster New Member

Many railroaders use an abundance of hills and valleys. For this reason, many people recommend a "cookie cutter" approach. It's really quite simple. Using a jigsaw, cut a sheet of plywood to the size and shape you'd like these elevations to be.

Make sure that one end of these topographical creations remains attached to the plywood, like an odd-shaped flap. You can then elevate the free end of the cutout using wooden blocks. Are you beginning to see how the rolling hills will emerge from this? (No, this is not how God created the world, but it's as close as we can come!)

Carmel

19. MrSmoke

MrSmoke Member

depends on what size (HO, O, N, Z) and if u want a realistic setup or just a fun setup.

If you want realistic good looking models it can cost a fair bit. http://www.ontrackmodels.com.au For example. Very very good and detailed models but expensive.

20. Gierke

Gierke Member

DaCrusader, that marklin track looks interesting!

When I was like 10, dad bought me a Life Like kit with ezytrack I think it was call with snap together sections but they were very unreliable. A few years ago when I started building a full blown layout I used flexible track soldered together but that was time consuming.

What is that marklin track like? It looks good.