Modem over heating

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by bob05, Jan 25, 2011.

1. bob05

bob05 Member

I have a Netgear DGN2000 adsl2+ modem and it seems its starting to die, it becomes very hot and slows down from 16mbits/s to about 1. If i turn the modem off for 10 mins it has normal speed of 16 mbits/s for a short while and just over heats again.
    Is there anything inside this modem i can do to perhaps reseal some heatsink to make it cool again or should i just buy a new modem?

2. Pugs

Pugs Member

buy a new modem..then do this

[​IMG]

3. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

I found the top of my antec 902 case a nice place for my router, right on top of the 140mm exhaust fan :)

My billion 7404 also used to overheat, i found just boosting it up on top of some pens to give it some extra area to cool it helped.

I did find however during that hot spell in feb last year 40+ on the 4th day i tried cooling it down with a pedestal fan, when i did so it dropped out more than if i let it just run hot. Every 15 mins without the fan instead of every 2 mins with the fan

4. jezza323

jezza323 Member

opening it up and give the dust a good clean out will help

5. 7yphon

7yphon Member

Or you can do what I did, pop the top off and have a 80mil fan sitting on top cooling everything off ;)

6. jellikit

jellikit Member

Or you could buy a new one and not keep it under your pillow / pile of dirty clothes / on top of your hot water service.

7. infiltraitor

infiltraitor Member

are you guys overclocking your modems?

ive never had an issue with any of my modems... and they have been supplied by Telstra!

8. Pugs

Pugs Member

Yes of course.. :thumbup::thumbup: sheesh this is after all Overclockers.. :tongue::tongue: :leet::D

I have a very hot room.. :thumbdn::sick:

9. 7yphon

7yphon Member

Nope don't overclock mine and havent had a issue up until this summer but that could be due the fact I have like 4 machines no aircon it that room and the sun hits the modem in the arvo :p I'm replaning my room but until then 80mil fan works fine :D

10. caspian

caspian Member

some modems just run hot due to poor design. I barbecued my Linksys WAG54Gv2, the router chip runs bloody hot and there's not even a passive heatsink on it, just a few optimistic convection holes in the casing.

no dust, no direct sunlight, just poor/cheap design. chip literally cooked the PCB substrate.