Modem/router for Internode VDSL2

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Agg, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

This has probably been asked a million times but forgive me, I did search, but I am on my shitbox laptop in a cafe thanks to Telstra having boned my internet for at least 3 days.. also I'm aware there are better choices than Internode for NBN at the moment but during the switch I'm sticking with them on a month-by-month basis because of my fixed IP and blah.

Anyhoo, we have recently switched from ADSL to NBN, or are in the process thereof, hence the aforementioned boning. I had thought my Netgear N600 DGND3700v2 was "NBN ready" but from googling it doesn't seem to support the VDSL2 we need. Also I think the WiFi is a bit shit on it so I don't mind upgrading.

So, what to get? Internode will sell me a Technicolor for $140 but I think I can do better than that. We have GigE across the house with a couple of 100mbit segments, so any new box will have to connect to the main GigE switch here, and we will need to provide WiFi via this box or a new separate one. I don't do too much advanced networking stuff from home, no serving etc, but obviously want it to handle the bandwidth available and do NAT for a truckload of devices. Someone mentioned an Ubiquiti thing in the past? Halp.

2. bcann

bcann Member

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Kinda hoping for a single-box modem/router/wifi solution if possible. Two kids with phones in the house so a fair bit of youtube etc.

4. asho444

asho444 Member

5. bcann

bcann Member

Look you *Can* do that, but if your house is even moderate in size, wifi coverage is gonna suck, particularly if there are 2-3 walls or more to locations in the house. 5GHZ Wifi doesn't penetrate so well, and 2.4GHZ just doesn't have the speed.

I'd Highly Highly recommend you separate your wifi onto its own dedicated device....

6. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Yeah, we have a wifi repeater halfway along the house.. but it does pretty much suck still. Feel free to recommend a specific device which is better than the onboard stuff.

7. bcann

bcann Member

The 3rd link i sent in my 1st post. Is the wifi repeater you have hard wired or is it piggy backing of of an existing wifi signal?

8. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Just a piggyback one.

Hrm, seems Ubiquiti don't do VDSL2 modems, mostly just pure routers and PoE stuff. Will consider Billion, have had a few in the past.

9. bcann

bcann Member

They do do one that plugs into the SPF Port, but honestly, spend like $50 and buy a VDSL2 modem and put it in bridge mode.

Also the AC Lites are ok as well for Wireless.

https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lite/

10. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Which separate VDSL modem, then? :)

11. oculi

oculi Member

12. bcann

bcann Member

Can't say i play with consumerland VDSL Modems to recommend one, but i got 3 Cisco 800 Series Modems if you want one that'll do VDSL2.

13. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

14. treblid

treblid Member

Any VDSL2 modem with the Broadcom chipset will do. I got the cheapest at the time (TP Link VR400), this doesn't have the AC Wifi though so is not ideal as a one box solution.

You can consider the next model up, but I'd probably grab Bcann's cisco if I'm in your shoes.. :D

15. v81

v81 Member

As above, running an unlocked ex optus Sagem unit with Broadcom chipset.
    I hear are better, particularly a good sync over longer lines.

I have that in bridge mode to a Ubiquity Edge router Lite (when i bought it the Unifi routers were still missing many features).

If i were going from scratch and had a decent size house i'd go a modem -> Unifi router -> PoE switch -> 2x Unifi AC access points
    A few bucks worth of gear, but pretty decent, and all managed from one user interface, devices will happily roam from one AP to another.

I've had ~ 800Mbit sustained throughput from a UAPAC Pro to my Intel 8260(i think?) in my Thinkpad.

Avoid using a repeater to repeat existing WiFi, just kills performance and pollutes the airwaves.

You will need to run a Unifi controller (either as a purchased cloud key, a raspberry pi or on a desktop PC) to configure everything.
    The unifi gear is all 'unified' into one web based GUI setup for the whole lot, that web UI is on the controller, not on any of the devices.
    It might sound weird, but works well and offers a good network overview.

This is pretty much enterprise gear on a beer budget.

::edit:: Some links...

Unifi Security Gateway (router) ~ $190
    US-8-60W 8port switch with 4PoE ports ~ $190 (or get any other PoE switch)
    UAP-AC-LITE ~ $135
    or
    UAP-AC-PRO ~ $220

optional cloud key ~ $130

The AP's must be powered over ethernet (i think the kits still include a PoE adaptor, but a PoE switch is a neat bonus), The cloud key is either 5v micro USB powered, or PoE powered.

Going PoE everything makes for a neat install.

Ubiquity WiFi seems so much better than other consumer grade stuff, difference feels amazing.
    Interested to hear from others that play with it more to know what it's like vs consumer gear.

I can't say how it compares to Cisco / Meraki but i don't think it matters, a setup with that gear would surely pass the $1k mark.

::edit2::
    Might be worth pinging Ubiquity to sponsor you, you could get a feel for the gear and review it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    treblid likes this.
  16. treblid

treblid Member

Pros and Cons... I work with Cisco/Meraki at work, but use Unifi at home. Meraki WAP is better, so is it's dashboard, but it's expensive. Unifi don't have a stupid subscription model.

Trying to configure/change some IGMP variables on the meraki, you can't. Trying to configure QoS on the Unifi, you can't. It's like their web dashboard and the hardware aren't in sync.

With NBN, I do agree to go modem (Bridged) -> Unifi router| pfSense -> PoE switch -> 2x Unifi AC over a one box solution.

For me I didn't give Internode a second chance though, switch to another provider when moving to the NBN and honestly havn't looked back since (10+ years with Internode).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  17. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Single box modem/routers are universally shit. Get a separate router and bridge the ISP-supplied device to it.

18. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

FRITZ!Box 7490. Go with what they support. I used my 3490 until lightning killed it.

19. alch

alch Member

+1 for fritzbox!

20. v81

v81 Member

Had a Fritzbox in the past, was the better of all the all in ones, but still had it's limitations.

Best thing i ever did for WiFi was to put the AP in the ceiling space in the centre of the house favouring toward the areas more likely to use WiFi.
    It changed my view on WiFi entirely.

Am in a larger place now, and still have the one AP, but with Unifi i know adding a second (if need be) will be seamless as the controller will configure them automatically, choosing optimal channels for each.
    I'll know whether i need 1 more or not after the first is properly located.

Having an all in one box with wifi stuffed in a corner where a phone point is convenient is just not smart, WiFi repeaters will give you a better signal up the other end of the house, but generally gives issues like poor throughput and unless designed to mesh nicely with the existing AP handover from one AP to another will be troublesome at best.

Going the separate box route is a little more expensive compared to premium all in ones, but you can pick each part of the system to specifically meet your needs/budget and rely on it do its job properly, rather than doing several jobs poorly.

All that said, it's not for everyone.
    Configuration is a little more advanced than an AiO, but just about everything you need is still in a nice web interface, in the case of Unifi, a single web interface for the whole ecosystem.
    There will be a learning curve, but most that go Ubiquity won't go back.