Modem/router for Internode VDSL2

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Agg, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

The N600 was likely NBN ready when everything was fibre and Ethernet hand off.

I'd suggest keeping the N600 as it has enough ram to do basic NAT, possibly turn off some unnecessary services to keep ram usage down.

The TP Link TD-w9970 can be had for $79 at MSY: https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TD-W9970_v2 run this in bridged mode to the Ethernet wan port on the N600 and you'll be sweet for little outlay.

From here you can worry about alternate solutions after the fact, either swapping out the N600 for some other fancy pants router or simply deactivating wifi on it and putting in 1 or 2 Ubiquit AP's throughout your place.

shredder likes this.
  2. shredder

shredder Member

Agree with Doc. Put in a cheap easy solution for now, get it working, and then relax and consider future upgrades at your leisure.

3. alch

alch Member

Why would you want to go the cheap option when a frizbox through node is like 200 bucks.. thats cheap. and its set for the future! ... Does voip/nbn/wifi 5ghz and 2ghz/home automation/NAS-Media server WITH USB3!!!!!! etc etc! :D (oh does mesh networking too now)

could use a bit more detail in event log though I think... plus its constantly maintained through auto updates.. if ya need .. just get ethernet over power to run to the old router/wifi to the back of the house like moi :p (hmm, Doesnt appear to display my EoP adaptors anymore.. noice....

4. chip

chip Member

Are they still pushing the 7490? The mediatek DSL chipset on that generally syncs lower than broadcom chipsets - I've tested it on a few NBN fttn 50/20 services and never seen more than 48/17, whereas the Broadcom chipset in a VR400 on those same lines always got the NBN spec 52/26 layer 2 rate

caspian likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Agreed - I've picked up a Broadcomm-chipset TP-Link thing for now, basically so I have some way of confirming when the service is available, and will think about better options (particularly on the wifi front) once the thing is up and running and the wife+kids are placated. As of yesterday Internode say the Telstra stuff is sorted, but now they have to do the data alignment that Telstra were supposed to have done in the first place, so probably still another 48h at least, which brings us to the weekend.. so I'm not holding my breath about anything being fixed before mid next week.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  6. v81

v81 Member

I had linesync for almost a week with iiNET.
    Called them to ask when the service will be ready and they said 'all good to go, we're just waiting for you to receive your modem'
    I replied 'can i just use the one i already have?'
    iiNET confirmed it was NBN compatible then 2 minutes later the service was 'enabled'.
    If i'd not called i'd have waited longer.

Advice for the desperate - plug your new modem in, look for line sync, when it comes if you don't have data flowing already ring 'em up.

7. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Yup, tried that yesterday and this morning, no sync. :) But I will keep trying, and ringing, as I don't expect anyone else on the other side to be particularly proactive..

8. treblid

treblid Member

I'm with ABB. These guys seem to be able to comm with NBN folks well and so far managed to sort out my problems amongst themselves. Having said that, they are overwhelmed with stuffs though as they're doing a massive infrastructure upgrade at the moment. My IPv6 is broken atm, no idea if it's them or me, but they're too busy to look after me now :upset:..

With wireless. You can always just grab a Unifi WAP and use that standalone (I think you can configure it via a mobile app). Perfectly fine to run the TpLink as a modem+router and use one (or more) WAP around the house for wifi.