Modem/Router With Better Range/Transfer Speed?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Deus_Ex_Machina, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Hi All,
    So we have a basic ISP supplied Technicolor tg789vac modem/router which has been working pretty well. The PC's are hard wired but I have just set up the PS3 and PS4 to stream movies wirelessy from my PC via universal media server. We are generally talking relatively low bitrate stuff 2mbps-4mbps bitrates but sometimes up to 10mpbs (however this is hacked down and transcoded by UMS I think).

On the few tests it generally seems to keep up, hits a buffering stutter on occasion.

Wondering if a slightly better router with an actual antenna/s might be a good option?

Playstations are only a couple of rooms away, maybe 20mt through a couple of walls?

Any suggestions?

2. Pugs

Pugs Member

Do you own or rent??

3. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Own, You are gonna say hardwire right? lol. I'm gonna get a quote to run from the study at least to 3 other points (in 3 different directions) in the house and see what the cost is. Cable will be stuff all it's the labour and I don't think I can do myself legally even though its data cable.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  4. Pugs

Pugs Member

Correct hardwired ftw.. and yes illegal for you to install...

When are you due for nbn and what type are you going to get??

5. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

hardwire if your willing.

You can stay with the wireless if you want, first thing you want to do is a site survey and work out if ita signal or interferance causing problem.

Changing wireless channel may help 1,6, or 11 on 2.4 or use 5ghz if you can.

6. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Already have NBN, about 45Mbps average. Router uses 5Ghz. Gonna go with hard wired, now I need to figure out what the hell to store/deliver the files with.

7. caspian

caspian Member

Synology NAS.

8. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Have just started a new thread RE this caspian. Looking into NAS but also just a cheap PC.

9. power

power Member

that wireless through a wireless N device?

10. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Yes but prob not at the other end (i.e. PS3/PS4 etc receiving the signal). Gonna cost be about $300 to have the rooms hard wired up inc materials so I reckon money well spent and not have to worry about bandwidth at all.

power likes this.
  11. caspian

caspian Member

cheap PC is certainly an option, but I've personally hit that point where I am tired of maintaining roll-your-own solutions. pieced together hardware, yet another operating system etc. Synology is definitely the more expensive solution but it just works.

callan and Pugs like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Well I'll get the cabling done and start NAS research. For now I can stream of my main PC but I won't leave that on 24/7 as it's a big power sucker.

13. dANiel_

dANiel_ Member

Not sure if this is the right solution but I bought one of those cheap Tenda MW6 mesh wifi networks with 2 nodes for $100 off ebay, and its been fantastic.
    One node ethernet connected to the router/modem, and another node 2/3 of the way through the house.

Solved all my wifi issues (weak connection on the shitter and in far bedroom, far bedroom TV streaming was basically unusable)

Even have a dell optiplex connected up to it hooked up to an external hdd, and streaming 4k to my nvidia shield, working fantastically.

I sound like a salesman, or some tenda rep, but im not. just have no one else to really tell about this purchase ive really liked

14. callan

callan Member

I'm with Caspian on this one. Synolology NAS kit is awesome, and idiot proof. Just make sure you get an Intel based one if you plan to do any transcoding. Actually scratch that. Just get an Intel based one full stop. The Marvell/ARM based onesjust don't have the grunt to do anything practical.

And one of the best things I did with this new place was get all the rooms professionally wired to a punchdown comms rack, and drop in a pair of Ubiquiti access points and cloud controller. Networking. Just. Works. All the time.

Callan

15. dimension11

dimension11 Member

Your other option is to run a mesh network of some description (most major providers offer a Mesh network product).
    At first brush I'd test the actual network wireless bandwidth with iperf3, just on the off chance it's something more than the networking equipment.

16. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

I'm definitely keen on a NAS option down the track but for now am putting together a basic PC for now to have a play with Plex etc. Gonna go hard wired networking in the house no matter what for the future, streaming world we live in.

Not counting cost of a PSU (Repurposing my old HX620) as I will replace my main one next upgrade soon anyway the below will set me back $250 minus maybe selling my old popcorn hour lol.

ASUS B85ME Already bought
    Core i5 4570 Already bought
    Crucial Ballistix 8GB Already bought
    Corsair Carbide 100R $85
    Kingston A400 240GB $44
    CM 170C CPU Cooler $15
    3X WD Green 3TB Already have

Not as elegant I know but OK for now then will look at a 4 bay NAS, 4TB Red drives, etc etc as that will likely set me back 4-5 times the price and at the moment it's really just a movie/TV show server/transcoder.

17. M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

Hard wiring the way to go, just had 2 runs installed as switched from cable to Nbn already had Orbi mesh setup, which was far better than the range extender I was using, but still was buffering at times of heavy use. More Optus than my setup, cable congestion. My sparkie charges $70/hr cheap and cost $430, 2 data runs ,phone point & power point. Two story house, your price is reasonable.

18. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

As has been discussed, hard wire where you can, but when it comes to wireless I gave up on the built-in WiFi of combo modem/router/WAP devices long ago. While some are better than others we are getting more and more devices and spreading them to every corner of the house making even the "good" ones struggle to get everywhere, especially through walls and furniture and pets etc etc. Then expecting high speeds out of that!

These days I think the mesh stuff has become pretty good and very user-friendly, for the cost and effort it's a good solution, even for renters. Personally, I went with a more dedicated option of 2 x UniFi access points, one at either end of the house. Overkill at it's very best, but there are no longer any dead spots anywhere and internet access speeds are not limited by the WiFi anywhere.

On a side note, a dedicated cable will always win when it comes to transferring GB's of large files back to the NAS. While I've usually got a dock with all the trimmings for my personal laptop, I've always kept USB -> gigabit ethernet adaptor around along with a spare network port (and power near by) for those odd times I need to do something more data intensive on someone else's laptop since many (most) modern machines don't have ethernet anymore.