Modems for NBN over HFC?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Tim_Servo, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Tim_Servo

Tim_Servo New Member

I'm transitioning over to NBN HFC from Optus cable in a few weeks, and I'm trying to figure out what equipment I need. I'm currently using the crappy Optus Netgear CG3000v2 modem in bridge mode, plugged into a much better Netgear router.

I'd like to find an HFC-compatible modem to use in its place, but I can't seem to find very much beyond a few basic Netcomm models. I'm considering going with Tangerine who offer a basic modem/router for about $90, which can be configured to use bridge mode.

My question is are there any better HFC-compatible modems out there? I'd love just a modem (rather than a modem/router) because I intend to use my own network hardware. Should I just suck it up and spend $90 on the crappy Netcomm modem, or can anyone recommend any alternative products for this purpose?

Thanks for any and all replies!

2. caspian

caspian Member

you must use the NBN supplied HFC modem, there is no choice or option available. what router you use is between you and your ISP.

the reference to "modems" on the Tangerine page is only in relation to use with FTTB or FTTN services, not HFC.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  3. chip

chip Member

NBN don't accept user supplied HFC modems for HFC services. NBN themselves supply the modem, an Arris CM8200 , which they call a "connection box".

All you need to find is a router that has an ethernet WAN interface.

4. OP
    OP
    Tim_Servo

Tim_Servo New Member

Is that so? I was told (by customer support) that the connection would use the existing Telstra HFC connection (we have both a Telstra and Optus cable line in the house, it's a rental) and thus we would require a modem that could accept an HFC connection.

So is it correct to assume the Arris CM8200 will be supplied and installed by the NBN technician on the day of activation?

The use of the word "modem" is what threw me, since it seems to have morphed into a catch-all term for "internet box" among ISPs

5. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Yes. The technician will install and test the "HFC NTD", an Arris CM8200. I'll upload photos of the NBN-branded packaging later if it makes you feel more confident about this...

6. Mjollnir

Mjollnir Member

NBN supplies the new HFC modem. You can use any router

7. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

I have used the Asus RT-68U, Fortigate 50E, PA220 and Meraki MX100/68/64 successfully. You only need an Ethernet router (pick any 'Wireless router' from MSY/JBHIFI/Anywhere) and configure it for PPPoE or (more commonly) IPoE/DHCP.

8. caspian

caspian Member

this is a reaction to a world where people go brain dead when technology is mentioned. it's far too hard to distinguish between a modem and a router, and the functionality both provide, when the person in question thinks this is a hard drive.

[​IMG]

Slug69 and Mace like this.
  9. power

power Member

my users call our thin clients modems and to power cycle them then turn the monitor off and on.

10. Pugs

Pugs Member

unless you require a home phone and then you need ot use the RSP supplied one..

11. power

power Member

a tip for all the senior citizens.

Tim_Servo likes this.
  12. chip

chip Member

They'll use the existing* HFC wallplate, so what you were told isn't really wrong, just ambiguous.

*for mine the NBN tech offered to put in a new one in a different location, but I passed on the offer. They also redid the external coax entry point at time of install, and a couple of weeks later redid the overhead tap because they were not up to scratch.

Tim_Servo likes this.
  13. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Actually, they usually swap the wallplate out....the existing one will usually say "Telstra", they'll pop it off to swap one on that says "NBNco".

Because that's a worthwhile use of time, obviously.

Slug69 likes this.
  14. chip

chip Member

mine just got a new NBN sticker slapped on it

die_piggy likes this.
  15. koss

koss Member

The Arris is a modem/router.

Some ISPs require that your firewall router supports VLAN tagging, so check that.
    At home I use a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter for my HFC firewall, it's great and cheap.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-EdgeRouter-Advanced-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00YFJT29C

16. OP
    OP
    Tim_Servo

Tim_Servo New Member

Thanks everyone for your help! I ordered last night at around 5.30pm, woke up this morning to an email telling me my NBN will be connected one week from today. I'm pretty impressed with the turnaround time, not least because Optus are kicking us off the cable network on the 20th.

I had serious issues a few years ago with Optus cable so I stamped my feet till they replaced the overhead tap (which helped massively) so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the heads up, I checked when ordering and Tangerine don't require VLAN tagging which means I'm good to go.

17. Pugs

Pugs Member

Not a router...

It is barely a modem too... more of an interface between HFC and ethernet

18. caspian

caspian Member

definitely not a router. it has no layer 3 functionality in terms of the end user access. no device that NBN supplies is, the product is a layer 2 connection from end user premises to ISP.

Pugs's description is accurate - it's a HFC to ethernet media converter.

Pugs likes this.
  19. scips

scips Member

Media converter/heater

Slug69 likes this.
  20. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

Is it ever. I'm considering putting a fan on it, not to get more performance, but to lessen the risk of it catching fire.