Modems for NBN over HFC?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Tim_Servo, Sep 6, 2019.

1. caspian

caspian Member

just think of it as a MFD - modem/toaster-oven.

2. mjunek

mjunek Member

Just dont forget when you move house, to LEAVE THE HFC BOX THERE! - It belongs with the premises, not the owner.
    It would be really nice if they made it wall mountable like they did with the FttC NCD.

3. power

power Member

yeah, like that will ever happen.

i love commercial premises where the cut all the network cables from the patch panels, because reasons.

4. scips

scips Member

Ergh not joking, my last house had the HFC NBN port in the main bedroom in the corner at a crap height. Had to have a little table in the corner with nothing on it (ex gf threw some plastic off some clothing on there and...well it melted onto the modem and table a bit :sick: )

Why in the fuck didnt they make a HFC NBN box that would just attach over the coax wall panel instead of a barely bendable coax cable and a heater.

<rant>
    Also...ergh fuck all these shithead NBN acronyms they invent, why do we need a million new acronyms to describe this mismashed pile of shit. NTD, NTU, NCD, IDU all mean the same fucking thing (ESPECIALLY to 95% of the public).
    </rant>

5. koss

koss Member

What do you think a modem does?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_modem

It converts analog modulated radio signal on the coax cable into digital.

6. caspian

caspian Member

I suppose some sort of enclosure could be engineered if enough people want one, but managing the bend radius of the coax cable would be something to be addressed. a hard connection could be done but you wouldn't be able to move the device afterwards.

I was involved in the development of the current fibre NTD enclosure and it was done on the basis of a lot of end user feedback, their primary objection was far and away the LEDs on the device, and the at-the-time mandatory battery backup power supply. having potentially 6 CPE connections did not help either. the HFC NTD is pretty low key and stylish in comparison, and you're still going to have to deal with your alien bug router anyway.

is such a product commercially available? or should NBN spend the R&D budget to invent it?

wait until you see my wallplate fibre NTD. :D

that is the same "hur dur, I don't understand all this computer stuff" response you get from people who refer to the big box on their desk as their "hard drive". do we really need to dumb it down to "internet box" for the thickest knuckledragger in the room? NTD and NCD are not hard to learn. they also have a very specific meaning under the Telecommunications Act, so they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  7. scips

scips Member

Cmon casp, dont defend the NBN implementation and stupidity, they only have a specific meaning under the telco act because of how stupid australian gov is for all things tech.

Over-Classification as is ridiculously typical, prefix letter for the type wouldve been far simpler and less likely to induce angst when dealing with regular folk.

I guess my critique is the utterly stupid naming convention instead then?

And yes, they shouldve invested in R&D.....like 10/15 years ago, before they started the FTTN/HFC/FTTC shit.

8. caspian

caspian Member

the Telecommunications Act 1997, which predated the NBN by 12 years?

and NBN should have invested in R&D 10/15 years ago, when it came into existence with a single employee in April 2009? for that FTTN/HFC/FTTC shit that the federal government that took power in 2013 told NBN to use?

the concept of someone on a technical computer forum complaining about accuracy of description and classification does leave me pretty speechless.

9. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

What's interesting is Telstra Velocity. Not only does it's performance suck for FTTH, but the NTD doesn't really appear to be a modem as such, as the apparent router connected via WAN negotiates the PPPoE connection, but the NTD handles FTA TV as well as telephony.

It appears to be what you get when the developer cheaps out, like in the marina at Safety Beach VIC.

10. scips

scips Member

You are missing where the hate is for casp, its not for NBN co.

11. caspian

caspian Member

so what is it then, a general unfocused rant? ELI5, I'm certainly not getting the point yet.