[WIN10] Modern apps freeze on startup

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by wintermute000, Dec 30, 2020.

1. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Have a super annoying glitch where modern/metro (and ONLY those) apps basically freeze on opening, for around 5 seconds. After that they work normally.

Thankfully its only modern apps but the go-to test is Calculator. Calculator, terminal and Onenote are the only ones I regularly interact with so its not catastrophic.

Anyone got any clue where to start?

Also not sure if related, but if seems that the intermittent start button stops responding bug has gotten more regular as well.

Win10 Pro with build 20H2

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  2. OP
    OP
    wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

So I think I fixed it... get this

1.) sfc / scannow finds errors and fixes them, but it comes back even if I run it immediately afterwards. Always the same files srmclient.dll and srmscan.dll.
    2.) googling finds a thread of someone saying uninstalling RSAT tools fixes this
    3.) uninstall RSAT tools, first sfc run fixes error, second sfc run has no errors.
    4.) problem is now gone.

Considering RSAT tools are official MS tools and that hundreds of thousands of ppl must use it IRL (I am not a wintel sysadmin) I'm amazed this is an issue. That'll learn me from messing around with MS stuff

3. wwwww

wwwww Member

This is normal.

You can bring in the Win XP 64bit version of Calc to fix this.

4. OP
    OP
    wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Fucking office ecosystem (esp in the COVID teams / all-in-MS era). that is all
    well, and games

anyway what have the Romans ever done for us...