Modern Polariod - fuji instax 210 review

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by havabeer, Jan 23, 2019.

1. havabeer

havabeer Member

Hi just seeing if people have some recommendations of a Polaroid (or instant) camera?

Friend had an instax mini 8 at an engagement party recently and was a bit of fun to play with. Is there a modern full size equivalent as the mini while fun was tiny.

I would rather the the actual instant photo, not the printer that hooks up to a mobile phone (a bit of the charm is lost on that)

Thanks

2. Hater

Hater Member

3. power

power Member

the fuji instax have the market as far as i can tell.

4. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

We have been looking at one of this sort of thing for my Daughter for a little bit now. It does look like a lot of fun, but I was concerned over the cost of all the little papers every time you press that button.

Doing some research turned up the Polaroid snap touch which seems to fill the gap in that it’s a 13MP digital camera that can optionally print photo’s when needed so you get the best of both worlds, albeit at a higher cost.
    https://polaroid.com/snap-touch

The reviews seem to say it’s alright for what it is it’s pretty good and for what I wanted it’s just about perfect.

This was the plan until my wife saw and grabbed the Canon PV-123 bluetooth printer in Aldi for $129 (reduced from $150) and a 50 pack of zink papers for $16.99 (reduced from $20) although they seem to be closer to $30 anywhere else. Even so, the papers seem cheaper than instax, the prints look about as good as I expect and it’s pretty easy to use printing photos from the iPad/iPhone. This is going to be used at an upcoming party along with a photobooth app where it will work nicely (with a little supervision). After that it’s probably going to be claimed by my daughter to use with her iPhone for now and maybe a new camera for her birthday (which she doesn’t know about yet). Now it will be a question of either a bluetooth capable camera or that polaroid one.

5. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

I know it sounds a bit wanky, but I like the idea of just having the palaroid as you only get the one shot to take the photo, and normally they're not perfect and makes them more funny.

Just printing off the phone allows me to smash the button a few times, tweak them a bit and then print loses that feeling. I wouldn't use it every day but I think they'd be fun at events

Will do a bit of investigating into the instax's I think.

6. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Watched a couple of lasses last week do the typical 'take 50 photos with the phone, checking every single one before uploading to instagram' process which I find fascinating. Then they took a polaroid style photo and took a photo of it with their phone to upload. What a time to be alive.

7. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I think that's a pretty good approach and attitude to it and as a person paying for their own tech you will find the balance of how many photos are enough and when/where to take them. In my case, I'm dealing with kids who are just as likely to tear through the box of papers with zero care of the costs.

I fell like as an older person I already have this appreciation having come from a film world into a digital world, that said we have moved from a world where you were really limited to one where we are encouraged to take lots and lots to ensure we capture everything so going back might be harder than I think.

My kids are not yet at this stage (yet?) but I have a few friends that only post very heavily curated and filtered images. Sharing this warped sense of perfect lives, bodies, hair etc etc etc is a detriment to society as a whole for many different reasons. Personally, I don't post much myself but am not too concerned with what others post of me. Plenty of photos of me in a Tutu at my daughters dance school over the years showing how little rhythm or coordination I have :p

8. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

Instax 210 wide incoming, bought 2nd hand off these forums.

Will let my thoughts knows once it arrives

9. Andre Moon

Andre Moon Member

I own a 210 and recently bought a Lomo Instant wide and both are great. The Lomo has a few more bells and whistles and the fuji 210 is close to foolproof.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy the fuji and the larger size is wonderful.
    Let me know if you find anywhere to get film in Australia for less than $1.28 per shot!

10. OP
    OP
    havabeer

havabeer Member

so i've had a little bit of time to play around with my new/2nd hand fujifilm instax 210 (wide)

so its the larger style compared to the instax mini's. and with larger instax... polaroids... photos... not sure what to call them so for ease i'm just going to call them polaroids, in the end it means a larger camera

the camera its self is quite large alot wider but about the same thickness as my sony a6300 which is a mirror less DLSR. As mentioned above i can really only find the film for around $1.20 per polaroid, i have havent really searched hi or low but the general places like ebay have them so i just bought a bulk 120 pack which was basically the same price per print no matter how many you selected.

in terms of photos its pretty easy, put batteries in, put some film in the back, remember theres a plastic protection that comes out first and you're good to go. getting quality photo's is hit and miss. there are a couple of settings you can fiddle with which are:
    lighten, darken, normal
    0.9m - 3m and 3m - infinity focus
    flash on

its a bit tricky trying to work out what darkness/lightness you should be using. i used a darken in out bathroom taking a photo of the wife bathing our first born and it turned out horrible. but normal outside on a bright sunny day was fine. the flash is also an issue, it has 2 settings, on and forced on. so if you're out side bright sunny day it wan't go off, but if its slightly dark but have some foreground objects you can't turn it off or force it off. it'll come on anyway (will update later if i'm wrong about this). one instance of this was i was trying to take a photo of the cat spread out it was darkish but should have been enough light how ever the flashed forced on and being about 30cm away all i got was pretty much i totally white print..... Also the instructions are very lacking, a few spiels about what the buttons do but not really how to get a good shot.

it does bring about those 70's and 80's nostalgia pics your mum and dad have probably shown you though which is fun. i'll definitely be taking to parties and events just to get some random one off photo's.

does make sending nudes to your partner more of a challenge compared to snapchat etc. there is also a little irony in have to take an analogue photo, take a pic with a mobile camera to upload it to instagram.

8/10 fun to use, probably hard master but awesome washed out fun

some random samples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. spectre257

spectre257 Member

I really like'em having done tons of scan work for older folks your photos wouldn't be amiss amongst them (maybe the modern looking bbq would be a giveaway). :thumbup: