Modest 4K screen help

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by robertgd, Oct 7, 2016.

1. robertgd

robertgd Member

I hope this is the right forum, and I do apologise for asking such a basic question. I have done some research but I always like to hear first hand opinions from like minded people.

I sold my 27" iMac (non 4K) as I use my MacBook pretty much exclusively, and my partner has her own PC in the study. We currently have a pretty average 24" ASUS Monitor hooked up and I wanted to swap that out for a single nice large monitor.

I have a couple requirements which I hope OCAU could help with:

1) Be larger than 27" (the larger the better but I don't see something like 32" being appropriate given how close we'll be sitting - I'd say 30" would be plenty)

2) Be 4K obviously

3) Be satisfactory for gaming. We aren't pro gamers, I enjoy FPS on a casual level and she likes RTS and RPG. Everyone goes on about 120Hz being it for gaming, but I've lived with 60Hz all my life. I believe most consumer 4K panels are 60Hz - is this going to be fine?

Now, I've read that response time in an IPS panel is not amazing, but as we're not hardcore gamers, do you think a 60Hz IPS 4K screen would be just fine for casual gaming?

I like Dell monitors (but I am open to any quality brand) and saw the S2817Q as a reasonable option. I wouldn't want to spend more than 1K, but if my requirements are unrealistic for this budget, I'd be happy to stretch it for something that will last us a while.

The screen will be VESA mounted, so the stand does not bother me in the slightest, but the screen must be VESA mountable (which I think most are?). One more nitpick requirement - nothing that looks outlandish and "gamer" - I can't stand the whole Alienware / ASUS Gaming style stuff. Just basic black bezels for me.

I'll be plugging in a MacBook Pro Retina and Mac Mini which are both 4K friendly and will be doing basic work on these, no gaming. My partners computer is rather old by todays standards, and sports a measly nVidia 460GTX (I think).

I understand that this will not be able to play games at 4K resolutions, but would be able to even run the screen? It's just something I need to consider, as I'll be completely upgrading the PC soon, but was hoping I wouldn't need to upgrade immediately to just use the screen (my partner uses her PC daily for both work and personal - just web browsing and Word). From what I've read, it should work, but it will probably max out at 1600p which I can live with until the PC gets an upgrade.

Any suggestions on a decent allrounder 4K monitor that isn't pro-tier would be amazing. Curved screens are great, but probably push the budget a bit for what it's worth to me.

Thanks!

2. power

power Member

Even though some wouldn't label it that I consider the Phillips 40" 4K modest - it's 60Hz. I game on mine and have no complaints.

They often pop up here for $600ish - you would not regret buying one IMO. New they can be found I believe as cheap as $850ish.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  3. OP
    OP
    robertgd

robertgd Member

Jeez - $850 for a 40" 4K sounds like a steal. Do you have the model number or is it just known as a Phillips 40" 4K?

What sort of games do you play? Again, I'm a pretty casual gamer, and actually spend most of my time on the Xbox One, so I'm confident 60Hz would be perfectly acceptable. Ghosting an issue?

Edit: this one?
    https://www.pccasegear.com/products/35865/philips-bdm4350uc-43in-4k-uhd-ips-widescreen-led-monitor/

Great value IMO (based on my totally uneducated, unexperienced opinion).

4. power

power Member

5. OP
    OP
    robertgd

robertgd Member

Thanks! Any downsides to VA panels? I've read they're generally better for gaming due to a lower refresh rate but don't have the viewing angle of an IPS.

Viewing angle doesn't mean much to me, but want to ensure we don't sacrifice image quality as we'll be doing more text based tasks than gaming.

6. power

power Member

I'm sure there are, but I'm not really the best to comment the only "issues" I've had are the stand which isn't adjustable and tilts the screen back a bit (I just put a couple of old USB sticks under and it's good as gold) and the corners can be a little dark but it's not a deal breaker if you ask me. VA means there's no patchy back lighting issues so everything has great deep blacks.

I love gaming on mine, and games that run well at 4K are simply stunning there's no other word for it.

Next year I'll probably upgrade from my 980 which will help for sure as I've had to drop back to 1440 on some games which is such a waste of the screen - but well that's where the budget is at. :)

If you are doing work on the display you will really benefit from the real estate and not having to scale anything (depending on your eyes of course) it's a lot of space for desktop use.

See one in person if you can that's the best way to decide if you like it.

7. OP
    OP
    robertgd

robertgd Member

Perfect. Honestly, with the screen we're currently using, I'm sure I'll be blown away.

Thanks heaps for your help! Now to try and find one for a good price :)

8. power

power Member

Going from a 1080P 28" screen to this was really something for me as well - I plan to keep this panel for at least 5 years, I love it.

9. havabeer

havabeer Member

Yep another Phillips 4K convert here, I picked up mine 2nd hand for $700 but I've seen specials where they sell new for $700 - $900

You might be able to do some RTS gaming at 4K depending on the game but it really comes down to your hardware. I thought the same as you them at sitting to close to a 40" screen sounds stupid but once you've done it for a day or so it feels normal.

No ghosting and games run perfectly fine at 60fps for me. You can over clock the thing up to around 70 - 75hz if you really feel the need

What GPU do you have?

10. OP
    OP
    robertgd

robertgd Member

Just a feeble GTX460 (her rig is *old*) but it's going to get upgraded soon! So I'll probably have to run at 1440p until we do so.

11. power

power Member

One other thing I'm sure you will appreciate is the socketss are on the left side of the panel so it will make plugging in your lappy easy as well.

There are also speakers - I cannot comment on the shittyness of them as I've never heard mine.

12. OP
    OP
    robertgd

robertgd Member

Good to hear. Not really phased on the speakers as I'll be using proper monitors or headphones :)

13. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

60hz is fine @ 4k, good luck even getting 60fps in most games.. and because you haven't experienced 100hz+ you wont know what you are missing. If budget permits IPS/VA is the way to go, stunning colours.

I don't think there is even any 4k panels over 60hz is there? I know there is 3440x1440 @ 100hz.

The LG 27UD68-W seems like a great panel for the price, its freesync so will shine even more in games so with an AMD card.