1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Mog - Provided by Telstra

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by millsy, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

hmm... I do hope there is a good reason for this.

But they have just removed a few of the songs I have on my playlist from their collection...

In Flames seems to be most effected.

Can't even search for the albums they removed anymore. :mad::mad:

2. OP
    OP
    millsy

millsy Member

Yeah some albums seem to go in and out, I actually played a track once and couldn't play it a second time :lol:

3. kieranluken

kieranluken Member

I actually asked them about this. From what they said, it is all about licensing - someone complained to the artist/producing company and they pulled the album

4. OP
    OP
    millsy

millsy Member

With that many tracks I'd imagine there's a fair few albums which would cop the same

5. Embercide

Embercide Member

Ok what is the go with the non-original artists and 're-recordings'

Take for example the current track i'm listening to on MOG, "Hip Hop Hooray" on a 90s album I found. Not only are the "heeyyy-ho-heeyyy-hos" off beat but it sounds like it was sung by a 12yr old, not naughty by nature.

And just as I finish typing this 'Slam' by Onyx comes on, but its not Onyx and the performance sounds half-assed with non original instrumental :thumbdn::thumbdn:

edit: Maybe its just the compilation albums on MOG that are like this, I was able to find the true versions of these by searching the songs

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  6. OP
    OP
    millsy

millsy Member

Yeah covers show up and not the original ones because the artists may not have agreed to being on there.

Anyone worked out how to scrobble it yet? I'm about to cancel my subscription because of a lack of it :(

7. Embercide

Embercide Member

Is that like with Pandora Radio you can click the thumbs up / thumbs down so it makes better song recommendations?

8. OP
    OP
    millsy

millsy Member

Nah it's to send track names to last.fm to store it and create recommendations for you.
    I find it handy to track what I'm listening to. Also the epeen (51 tracks per day average over 2 years :p) haha

9. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

Quick update: They have put the In Flames album 'A Sense of Purpose' back, but still haven't put back 'Come Clarity'...

Strange that it was removed for a few weeks then put back in...

Why am I just imagining the 'new guy' accidentally deleted some stuff. :lol::lol:

Also, picking up my 4G phone on Tuesday, so really going to give the high def streaming a run for it's money as I work in the CBD, so should be a good test. :thumbup:

10. OP
    OP
    millsy

millsy Member

It works very nicely :)

11. dean_is_not

dean_is_not Member

My partner and I have been roadtripping around Queensland, from Rockhampton, Mount Isa, Karumba, Cairns and then home. We've been absolutely destroying MOG. Loving it so much, even when we don't have coverage we can just play downloaded tracks. As soon as we come back into coverage, any new albums we've queued for download come down for us. Used about 15GB over the past 3 weeks, all unmetered :D

12. azzachaz

azzachaz Member

Been using this for the past few days. Using the free trial and have nomiated to bill via my Telstra bill after that.

Really loving it! No problems streaming high quality at all. I find the android app to be pretty cool. I particuarly like the 'radio' functionality that has a slider which lets the radio feed in songs by similar artist to those you have chosen.

Data usage gets a hammering though. Over 500mb a day listening at my desk at work. Luckily it is unmetered otherwise I would be capped very quickly (3.5GB month limit for me)

I have found all the songs I have looked for and it's been cool looking up more info about artists and seeing albums I didn't know they had extra.

I've loaded the app on my phone, my wifes phone and the kids ipods. Had no issues so far using the same account so far since we use the app at different times or download the songs to our devices.

13. mmBax

mmBax Member

Before I go looking, how much is it per month?

I might cancel my spotify for a month and give it a look. I'm looking for something to connect directly to a headunit as a fairly permanent music source. Unmetered would be worth the cost, but the last time I tried it, the interface was terrible.

14. azzachaz

azzachaz Member

I think it's $12/month for the premium package, you can pay less to only use it on your computer.

15. OP
    OP
    millsy

millsy Member

Yeah it's 12/month for mobile and 7 for non mobile.

The interface is pretty decent imo :)

16. iinsom

iinsom Member

What styles of music is on there?

I mainly listen to hardstyle/dance/electro etc. Is this in MOG?

17. meeetch

meeetch Member

It seems to have exactly the same level of content as spotify if you use that.

18. iinsom

iinsom Member

Nah I don't use Spotify. Might just use the demo to check it out

19. mmBax

mmBax Member

Oh god, I paid for a month to see if it'd be worth keeping as my in car music.

It's a massive no so far. Unmetered streaming is about the only good thing. UI is still a bit awkward. And browser/PC app is terrible. Featureless and rubbish. They could learn a lot from spotify.

20. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Just signed up for this having messed around with Pandora for a few days. Unmetered on Telstra 4G being the clear selling point.

Hugely impressed with the selection and quality. Already found some music I found find via any other means and stumbling on to new stuff constantly.

Havent tried it in the car but if the bluetooth controls work it'll be a game changer.