1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Mog - Provided by Telstra

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by millsy, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Diode

Diode Member

Interesting it's unmetred. That is a good selling point. I did try the MOG app a few months ago and I simply hated the interface. I was using Spotify but it has a cache bug in the iphone app where you need to delete the app to delete the songs you no longer want cached. So I ditched spotify and now I use Rdio. Great interface, but damn I had to add a $15 data pack so I can do some music streaming without going over my quota.

2. OP
    OP
    millsy

millsy Member

I have ended my subscription. Between them still not supporting last.fm scrobbling and more importantly ditching 320k streaming over LTE I'm done.

3. Diode

Diode Member

They can keep their unmetered bandwidth if they only want to stream in low quality.

4. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

Agreed, I ditched MOG a few weeks ago to go to Spotify.

Unmetered was my main draw card. But hearing that they have dropped 320k streaming just consolidates my decision to switch.

Was good while it lasted, but too many of my favourite bands music was removed, and now this.

I suspect MOG will lose whatever subscribership they have left in coming months...:sick:

5. OP
    OP
    millsy

millsy Member

I can download at 320 still over 3G/LTE I just liked the radio part at 320. I could probably get an app that fools the phone to think its on WiFi but I don't care that much really

6. therazza

therazza Member

sooo anyone out there still using this?
    shock horror I only learned of MOG via a banner ad. The one time I use IE instead of Firefox!

7. OP
    OP
    millsy

millsy Member

Since they dropped 320kbps streaming on LTE the product died for me

8. Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger Member

I thought it was too good to be true.

9. OP
    OP
    millsy

millsy Member

I was pretty cut about it, I used that feature a lot. It's especially annoying when LTE has plenty of bandwidth for it, just tested then in the Brisbane CBD and I was getting 8306kB/s down and 4436.9kB/s up.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  10. Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger Member

Ipswich LTE speeds are insane, at home i can get 33.70mbps down most of the time. If only i could get a decent data plan of LTE i would even worry about a home phone.

11. OP
    OP
    millsy

millsy Member

Oh I mean that was real life speeds, it was like 66mbps or whatever it is in that measurement.

12. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

MB/s and mb/s are different. :D

And I stopped using this as they got rid of a lot of the heavier music I was listening to, switched to spotify and couldn't be happier

13. azzachaz

azzachaz Member

I've been using this happily for months now.
    Just got my latest Telstra bill and was hit $50 for excess data usage. (3.5Gb cap which I never come close to)

I started a Live Chat session with a Telstra rep and they confirmed that mobile data charges apply when using the MOG app. Although it is still unmetered from the website (Because it has a green dot and app doesn't?!?).
    This must have changed this month because I have never been charged in the past.

WTF!?!

I have lodged a service request to investigate but I think I will cancel my subscription.

14. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

I don't think you'll have much of a problem getting them to reverse those charges. It was definitely unmetered when I was using it (almost 1 year ago now though...) but even still, every time I've called up about something like this they normally give you a warning the first time and wipe the charges.

Just give them a call and explain the situation, try nice at first. Then move to annoyed if you don't get anywhere. Normally the latter part isn't required.

Good luck :thumbup:

15. OP
    OP
    millsy

millsy Member

Wait what, it shouldn't be metered at all. Definitely got a case there

16. azzachaz

azzachaz Member

I've saved the 7 page conversation which ended with them confirming the data charges and me requesting escalation (which they have done).

Catch phrases:

"You're using mobile data, switch your phone to WiFi so you don't get charged" :rolleyes:

"Sorry for the inconvenience"

17. adktz

adktz Member

I found something odd. I think you can use MOG indefinetly without paying the subscription fee, with a few caveats.

How it worked for me:

• Pay for your first month.
    • Just before it expires, let your SIM in the iPhone/iPad/whatever run out of credit/data (Tested on an iPad data plan and Prepaid iPhone).
    • Never connect thedevice to WiFi. Never recharge the SIM.
    • Enjoy your indefinite MOG subscription.
    This lasted about three months for me until I caved and decided to use WiFi. My guess is that it needs data/credit to contact the subscription/authentification server, but not to use the music streaming server.

18. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

The data is NOT metered on the app for Mog on Telstra 3G/4G

19. azzachaz

azzachaz Member

It was for me this month. I was charged excess and they have confirmed it explicitly in my LiveChat transcript.

20. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Live chat does not equal gospel.